PDA

View Full Version : Bus drivers who think they own the road...

Hash_man
11-27-2004, 04:44 AM
Well, I don't know if I'm the only one, pretty sure i'm not, but has anyone else noticed the total disregard for others on the road presented by city of calgary bus drivers lately?

I noticed within the last month or so that almost all of these busses have now recieved a sticker for the back of them which says "please yield to bus" with a pic of a yield sign.

Now, sure this may be a good idea to have, seeing as I can imagine manouvering through rush hour traffic and such would kinda be a pain... However, almost every bus driver I see lately has taken this as a "you must yield to my bus" sticker.

First off, when driving to school, i have experienced this probably twice now... Driving down a somewhat narrow 1 lane each way residential road, with room for cars to park on both sides, I will be driving down, see a bus at a bus stop signalling to the curb.. so naturally I slow down a bit incase someone decides to run out in front of the bus... and then as I approach the bus, he flips on his signal to pull away from the curb, and just starts to go. I was nearly ran into oncoming traffic due to this one time, as I had no warning until I was basically pulling up to the side of the bus.

Next, I thought this was pretty bad... Returning home from school last week, going down 14st south, just passing the rockyview hospital.. Traffic turning southbound coming onto 14th from the rockyview have a yield sign... it is clearly posted. I witnessed a city bus decide people had to yield to him, and merge onto 14th from this lane, almost hitting a minivan on his way in, as they really had no choice but to let the bus in.

And today... Traffic heading westbound on glenmore trail just before crowchild was really backed up, and the right lane was closed ahead for construction. Most people had merged from the 14st offramp into the continuing glenmore lanes, and the lane ends no more then 300m ahead... traffic was moving no faster then 30km/h and a nice big city bus came ripping down the right hand merge lane, going at least 80-90km/h... then forced his way in, almost causing a pretty bad accident..

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of these idiot bus drivers thinking they own the road... and this is really just part of it, I am sure there have been more incidents, but these are just some that come to mind, as I am becoming quite fed up.:guns:

Kaos
11-27-2004, 05:01 AM
Try driving in Vancouver, its mandatory to yield to the bus.
The bus driving will pull out of its spot and if you dont yield, u could get a ticket (if police were around).
I think its common sense, bus drivers need to get to places as well.

t-im
11-27-2004, 01:35 PM
^ that's what I was gonna say..as in...it's the LAW to yield to a bus in vanc...

..and come on, bus drivers gotta do their job and get places

Singel
11-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Just yield to the bus. You tihnk you're the one who owns the road. In you're 1st example you should have been more cautious, or atleast more decisive...what do u think it looked like to him when you slowed down a lot? Sounds like you're letting him in to me. Slowing down is the thing to do, just don't bitch when you get into his blindspot.

And on you're other examples, maybe you should keep your eyes on the road instead of watching busses.

I'm fed up with people bitching about people providing society with essential services. Damn Cops, profiling me because I have a stupid exhaust and wing on my car! Damn Bus Drivers, trying to get 30 people to work, but it costs me 3 seconds!

88CRX
11-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Singel
Just yield to the bus. You tihnk you're the one who owns the road. In you're 1st example you should have been more cautious, or atleast more decisive...what do u think it looked like to him when you slowed down a lot? Sounds like you're letting him in to me. Slowing down is the thing to do, just don't bitch when you get into his blindspot.

And on you're other examples, maybe you should keep your eyes on the road instead of watching busses.

I'm fed up with people bitching about people providing society with essential services. Damn Cops, profiling me because I have a stupid exhaust and wing on my car! Damn Bus Drivers, trying to get 30 people to work, but it costs me 3 seconds!

what you just wrote is complete bs.

i dont yield for busses anymore for the same reasons that hash_man stated. cause they think they own the fucking road :thumbsdow i dont think so. i

if your driving down a 2 lane road, with a bus pulled off to the side then i should stop in the middle of the road and wait for the dam bus driver to turn back onto the road? that right there is a great idea. stop on the road :rolleyes: i have a better idea. mr bus driver can wait 3 seconds (its not long, you said so) for me to drive by then he can safely merge back into the road. hmmmm, seems simple to me.

and dont even get me started on cops going on power trips :thumbsdow

Bonka
11-27-2004, 01:59 PM
What you described sounds to be rare from what I've managed to see in Vancouver. It's actually quite the opposite, drivers unwilling to let bus drivers back into traffic. I don't see what the big problem is. Most of the time, especially during peak traffic, the bus will have to pull over to the next stop anyways a few blocks down. Unless it is complete gridlock traffic, most of the time you'll end up in front of the bus eventually.

Slowing down while approaching a bus is a good idea, and something I do on a regular basis, but it's not completely foolproof. I like to look at the bus stop approaching to see how many people are waiting to get on. This'll give me an idea to time myself whether to pass the bus or begin to slow down. Hasn't failed me yet.

BlackArcher101
11-27-2004, 02:02 PM
I Ontario it's illegal not to yield to the busses and you can be ticketed for it.

So yes, they do have the right to think that.

Idratherbsidewayz
11-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by t-im
^ that's what I was gonna say..as in...it's the LAW to yield to a bus in vanc...

But its not the law here in Calgary. If they made a law and people knew about it then the buses would have every right to make people yield to them.

There is no such law, and so buses shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they want. Some accidents are going to happen, and Calgary Transit will find a way to weasel out of paying for damages. The only people that will be impacted by this are innocent citizens.

Someone should do something about this...

MenteL
11-27-2004, 02:19 PM
I agree. Something should be done.

I'm tired of these bus drivers, and I'm tired of them when they get off work, hop into their frickin mini van thats beat to hell, and do the same shit after they just finished up in a bus. I cant cou nt at all, how many times a bus has tried to take me out.

Two lane road | | |

I'm in the right lane, bus is in the left lane and needs my lane to stop at the bus stop. What does he do? He doesn't slow down to make space to get in, he just starts turning..right WHEN IM BESIDE THE FREAKIN BUS!. I ended up having my car towed because i got ran onto the curb and broke a rim and a control arm on my cavalier....what did the bus driver do? Said something to me in punjab and drove away. I think there oughta be qualifications to drive a bus, not just a fucking work visa. Hes lucky I dont own firearms :D

thinmyster
11-27-2004, 02:21 PM
i have a problem with them driving in the "center" lane on a residential road. and not the big busses cause i can understand they are probably hard to manuver but just last night at like 8 a small transit bus was oncoming going around a slight bend on a redidential road damn near made me hit a parked car.. fucking ass!!!

cman
11-27-2004, 02:40 PM
i almost got ran into the oncoming traffic lane last night on northmount by st. francis. same thing, bus signals to pull over and slows down, then figures out the person waiting at the bus stop doesnt want on, so he just turns back into the lane while slowly accelerating. its part my fault, but still, he could at least have waited the 3 seconds for me to get completely past him.

Singel
11-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Bus drivers are out to fuck everyone over and crash into you.

Police officers just want to spoil your fun too, that's why they got into the job.

Teachers also get their joy from making kids lives hard.

And your parents stopped you from taking candy/rides from strangers because they don['t want you to have any fun.

You're fucktards, quit thinking you own the road because you have a big exhaust

djayz
11-27-2004, 02:48 PM
i think we brown people should stick to driving taxis :(

hah yah ive noticed crazy bus drivers too specially when leaving downtown in the early mornings a few buses leave from somewhere going on memorial to the NE and it seems like they are racing

just this morning there was 3 buses 1 that pratically ran a redlight turning right...altho there wasnt much traffic...they still need to be careful driving one of those things around.

MenteL
11-27-2004, 04:06 PM

You're fucktards, quit thinking you own the road because you have a big exhaust stfu, my prelude is stock asshat........but if it pisses you off, maybe i will go buy a fartcannon

88CRX
11-27-2004, 04:07 PM
You're fucktards, quit thinking you own the road because you have a big exhaust

hey buddy!!! stand up, turn around and pull your head out of your ass :thumbsdow

Hash_man
11-27-2004, 04:18 PM
hey buddy!!! stand up, turn around and pull your head out of your ass
:werd:

And I am glad some people agree with me, yes it may be the law in Vancouver to yield to the bus, and I understand that. But that is not the case here in Calgary. Mainly because traffic is probably a lot worse in Vancouver, and here, the bus drivers usually wouldnt have a problem going where they need to know if they drove defensively, just like people driving huge busses should IMO.

thinmyster
11-27-2004, 04:19 PM
actually i was driving a chev lumina the thing only has a radio am/fm i hardly think i own anything with that let alone the road!!:guns: :guns: :guns:

GoChris
11-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Is it so hard to yeild to the busses? you sound like a big fucking whiner. just slow your ass down let them in, or move into another lane when you can and let them drive people around that dont have a car.

and i think you should have to yeild to a bus, its NOT THAT HARD.

treg50
11-29-2004, 01:20 PM
In Toronto it's become mandatory to yield to buses so I've noticed in the past months. We've had that yield sticker sign on the left-rear of buses here for years now. But just recently I noticed the added 'mandatory' bit on it now. It's about time your transit system caught up, so get used to it. I'm not perfect and sometimes I don't yield, but I yield more now than I used to. Why? 'Cause I sure as hell don't want to get ticketed for not doing something so easy.

I always get past the buses I let in at some point down the road. If I don't then whatever, it just reminds me to take my time and relax. They're not against us, they're just doing their job. Hell I used to take transit for years in school and I remember what it was like to be on there.

Ooooo buses :drama: