PDA

View Full Version : Llama?

BebeAphrodite
11-27-2004, 06:10 PM
What's the use of a llama? What do they do?

Singel
11-27-2004, 06:33 PM
the dolly llama?:dunno:

Aren't llama's just like horse camel hybrids or something?

civicrider
11-27-2004, 06:35 PM
i think people sometimes use their hair kinda like a sheep.:dunno: i think they are also raised and sold to people just for pets.

shadow
11-27-2004, 06:35 PM
You can use their fur and you can also use them for food.

Their fur is very light and has a lot of the same properties as wool. If you bought a llama sweater it would be a lot lighter than most other types... but it would keep a large amount of heat inside.

As for the meat I have never tried it... maybe they are tasty... I am not sure... :dunno:

Originally posted by civicrider
i think they are also raised and sold to people just for pets.
I would not want one... they are tempremental suckers. =)

civicrider
11-27-2004, 06:40 PM
^
i think some religions think they are special.

Zephyr
11-27-2004, 07:00 PM
winamp kicks the llama's ass

Altezza
11-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Hmm...it don't look all that tasty to me...

BebeAphrodite
11-27-2004, 07:40 PM
ha ha ha
it's in the bargain finder under the free section

Llama male free

just wondering what it's used for

A_3
11-27-2004, 07:41 PM
I know the protect herds of sheep from wolves and coyotes by kicking them haha

dj_honda
11-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Singel
the dolly llama?:dunno:

wow
:rofl:

anyways....why not just search the topic on google?
:closed:

gpomp
11-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Are there different kinds of llamas?
Not really, but there are different kinds of camelids. The “lama” family consists of four branches: Alpacas, Guanacos, Llamas and Vicuñas. Alpacas and llamas have been domesticated for approximately 4,000 years, whereas guanacos and vicuñas are mostly found in herds in the wild.

(Salamanders and calamari are definitely not part of the lama family.)

Where do llamas come from?
Fossil footprints found in California indicate that llamas originated in North America. A great photograph of a fossil llama, approximately nine million years old, which was found in Florida, is shown on The Hall of Florida Fossils web page. The original camelids started out in North America and the animals that moved north and crossed the Bering land bridge evolved into camels, while the ones that migrated to the south became the “lama” family. Most llamas now are native to western South America, mostly Bolivia, Chile, and Peru.

The La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, California are the richest source of Pleistocene (Ice Age) fossils in the world. A thin film of water covering this bubbling tar bog formed this great prehistoric trap, in which the skeletons of llamas have been found as well as the Imperial elephant, largest of all land mammals, sabre tooth tigers, giant ground sloths, early camels and horses, giant wolves, bison, great American lions, condors and the only skeletal remains of the American peacock ever found. An exhibition of these fossils has been assembled at the museum there.

Are they expensive?
A few years ago, when we were buying our first females they were quite expensive, but in the last couple of years the prices have dropped considerably. Our motto has always seemed to be “Buy high, sell low” and that is certainly been what we have done. Right now llamas are affordable to anyone. I was looking at the prices of horses the other day and realized that llamas are a bargain. As for sheepguards, a dog will cost much more than a llama and need much more training.

There are always people who will hype up a certain animal or bloodline, and the prices will reflect that. On the other hand there are a number of llamas, particularly older females, that go for bargain prices in auctions and they are being sold off as people cull their herds, getting rid of the problem animals. Find a reputable breeder and ask why an animal seems like such a bargain. Like anything, if you want the highest quality, you may have to pay a little more.

What do llamas eat?

They graze on grasses and browse on leaves, and with their long necks, anything on the other side of a fence is fair game. As long as they have some decent hay and fresh water they are usually content. You will often see contented llamas lying around chewing their cud. A bale of hay will feed an adult llama for a week or so.

There are a number of poisonous plants that are found in yards and gardens that llamas have to protected from. Be particularly aware of azaleas and rhododendrons. We have a list of poisonous plants that are common in British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest of the US on our farm web page.

Will they eat out of my hand?

What kind of shelter do they need?
Llamas don’t particularly like to be shut up in a barn, but we usually keep newborns and their moms in overnight if the weather is either very wet or very cold. The adults are smart enough that if it starts to hail or thunderstorm they will normally run for an open barn or shelter.

Usually a three-sided shelter is sufficient, so that they can get out of a driving rain or get some shade. As well as protection from rain and snow they need to have shade in the summer, even though you will often see them lying in the heat with their bellies facing the sun. Most of them seem to prefer to stay out in the rain or snow, as long as it is not driven by a strong wind. They sleep lying down with their feet tucked under their body, and the wool hanging down on their sides protects them from the cold.

Recently we designed a hay feeder/shelter, where the hay is in the middle, with four triangular shaped areas on the outside. The llamas seem to like this, as they can lie under shelter facing out, with one hundred and eighty degree vision, and not feel trapped. It also cuts down on the arguing about hay.

We have a new page with step by step instructions for building a feeder/shelter like the one shown on page one.

What kind of sounds do they make?

If you have a fast connection you can go to a separate Humm Page with all of the sounds on it, but if you have a slower machine (like ours) then you may want to stay on this page and use the links to download each sound separately, particularly if you only want to hear one or two sounds. They will make a new window just for the one sound and then you can use the back button to return to this page. (Of course, you have to consider the time it will take to reload this page each time.)

Humming
Llamas make quite a variety of sounds. The most common sound is a humming noise. A female will hum (14k) to her cria, which seems to reassure the baby that mom is still around. The crias (18k) have a softer hum. If an animal is not sure about what is going on, such as being penned up, it may issue an “uncertain” hum (51k) or even a “worried” hum (20k).

This is a new mother (27k) calling her cria and this is the cria talking and the mom answering (47k). The baby is about four hours old in these recordings.

Kahaila, who is seven months old, has been weaned for a week or so and mom is on the other side of the fence. They are humming to each other, Kachina first, then Kahaila. (39k) It is not as if they don’t have lots of company, but they sound pathetic. If we don’t separate them the babies will often nurse for a year if their mothers will let them.

Orgling
Males will make a very strange sound while they are breeding which is called an “orgle”. (101k) They will sometimes make this sound if there is an open female on the other side of the fence. A breeding will typically last twenty minutes and will often go longer, with the male orgling continuously. All of the other females will gather by the fence to see what is going on as soon as they hear an orgle. Often the male is quite attentive to the female during the breeding process, nibbling lightly on her ears and rubbing her neck with his front feet. The female, on the other hand, usually looks completely bored and will sometimes eat grass, occasionally looking around at the male, as if to say “Aren’t you done yet?”

Naturally this orgling sound will get the attention of every male on the farm, which can cause a ruckus in some of the other fields. To try to keep them all happy, one day we had five studs all breeding at the same time.

Each male has a slightly different orgle. The previous orgle was Lazo who was actually trying to persuade Beverly to lie down. She didn’t but he was certainly trying, and eventually gave up. The next recording is Conquistador breeding Socorra. (56k) He was also having his toes trimmed at the time. This is often the easiest time to work on the male’s feet as his mind is completely occupied and doesn’t even seem to notice the manicuring.

Alarm Calling
If a llama perceives a danger, such as a strange dog or a coyote, they will make an alarm call (57k) which warns the rest of the herd. In the wild, a male guanaco will find a high vantage point to watch over his herd of females and if he spots a puma, will start alarm calling. Moments later every male in the vicinity will be alarm calling.

Females will occasionally make an alarm call. The next sound is Sarah Barnart alarm calling when she saw a deer grazing on the other side of her fence. The female alarm (102k) is usually not quite as loud as the male’s, but we have a couple of females who can compete quite well with the males.

Snorting
A male llama will occasionally make a snort (10k) sound at another male which seems to mean something like “You are lucky I can’t get over this fence . . .”. Snorting is often the prelude to a fight.

Screaming
If a couple of males decide to have a fight, they will start screaming at each other and can make an impressive amount of noise. A number of years ago some neighbours who live about a quarter of a male away, thought that we were killing pigs judging by the racket going on when one male found a weak spot in the fence. You don’t want to get in between a couple of full-grown males when they get into a fight. These two went through the next fence as if it wasn’t even there. The one-by-four fence boards just snapped off when hit by the llama’s chest. A lot of biting each other’s legs, screaming, and neck wrestling goes into a show like this but eventually they will tire themselves out and they can be separated while the fences are being repaired.

In our “Field of Screams”, Pizarro shares a common fence with his father and every once in a while decides that he should be the boss llama. This is his father, Canadian Ambassador, screaming (14k) at him.

A male can really scream when fighting or when having something done that he doesn’t like. In this case Lazo was upset (23k) at having his toes trimmed!

Clucking
Females will sometimes make a “clucking” sound at a male over the fence. As far as I can figure, it seems to mean “Back off! Don’t even think about it!” This is Beverly clucking at Lazo (41k). With head up, ears back, tail up, sometimes a female will add some emphasis to it by clucking followed by a snort (78k).

How big do they get?
Adult llamas are usually between 300 and 450 pounds and stand about five to six feet tall at the head. The newborns are often between 25 and 35 pounds and would be about 30 inches tall. Provided that the mother has plenty of milk, a baby normally would gain about a pound a day for the first couple of weeks. They reach their full growth somewhere between three and four years of age.

Do they bite?
Llamas don’t bite for defense. They have a hard plate on the top of their mouth, and the front teeth on the bottom are designed for cutting grass. Males, around the age of three, will grow fighting teeth at the back of their mouth. These teeth should be cut off, as they can cause serious damage to other males if they get into a fight. Go to page one to see photos of the fighting teeth and what they can do.

Do llamas lose their baby teeth?
Yes, the baby teeth will usually fall out when the llama is about two years of age. Normally the adult teeth will push out the baby teeth but we had a two-year-old male that had somehow bumped his face and knocked out both front teeth and it was a month or so before the adult teeth finally showed up.

http://personal.smartt.com/~brianp/

dj_honda
11-27-2004, 07:57 PM
In the United States, llamas are used for light draft, fiber production, show, companion and guard animals. Alpacas are used for fine fiber production and show in the United States.

In South American, llamas are used for pack animals, production of fiber for rugs and ropes, meat, and even used their dung for fuel. In South America, the alpaca is used for fine fiber production, meat, and their dung for fuel.

i typed in "what are llamas used for" in google.

Kamen
11-27-2004, 08:47 PM
:rofl: hahahahahaha

BebeAphrodite
11-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

wow

anyways....why not just search the topic on google?
:closed:

Why don't u post this everywhere where someone asks a question?

Even looking at those answers from google, I still dunno what they're used for. I see maybe them on single occasions about 8 times sitting around a little outside of city, they hardly look like food, and they have their fur still. So many a pet?

Kamen
11-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Thank you google.
Llama Uses & Training (http://www.nose-n-toes.com/usetrain.htm)

"What are they used for" is a question commonly asked of llama owners. Breeding, packing, wool production, companion animals and sheep guarding head the list of common llama uses. Because they are so gentle and easy to train, llamas are popular attractions in parades, shows, fairs and community events, and are fun to take on school, hospital or nursing home visits. Llamas and guanacos are becoming increasingly popular for guarding sheep from coyotes and wild dogs.

Davetronz
11-27-2004, 11:49 PM
TINA, COME GET SOME HAM!

TINA YOU FAT LARD, COME GET SOME DINNER! EAT, DINNER.... EAAT....

I call dibs on the free llama from the bargain finder!

InfiniteJoy
11-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318
TINA, COME GET SOME HAM!

TINA YOU FAT LARD, COME GET SOME DINNER! EAT, DINNER.... EAAT....

I call dibs on the free llama from the bargain finder!
aww u got it all wrong! :(

InfiniteJoy
11-28-2004, 03:41 AM
Tina you fat lard, come get some dinner! Tina, eat.. eat the food.. eat the food!

*throws down some food in a confrontational manner*

(sorry I've seen it 11 times, know every single word 100% to the movie, had to correct ;))

africano
11-29-2004, 12:45 AM
alpacas are :bigpimp: , there like a mini-llama. Way cooler plus they don't spit as much, plus they look more happy and less pissed off.

get an alpaca

fast95pony
11-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Llamas are kept for their wool and are sometimes used to protect sheep from coyotes.They spit and have a nasty kick.If you drive outside the city limits ,you would see llamas are quite common in Alberta.
There's a few farms on Country Hills east of the city that have them.

SpoonEK9@STRD
11-29-2004, 01:19 AM
llama...a online term used when playing quake; like another word for gay.

RSeXy
11-29-2004, 01:23 AM
one of my jr high or highschool teachers used to keep llamas and ostriches at her farm.

he just needs a good home!

Melinda
11-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by africano
alpacas are :bigpimp: , there like a mini-llama. Way cooler plus they don't spit as much, plus they look more happy and less pissed off.

get an alpaca
I have a teddy bear made out of alpaca fur (the shaved fur, not the skin and fur lol) and it is the softest thing I have ever felt in my entire life. There's actually a store in southland crossing that has nothing but things made out of the shaved alpaca fur....Alpacas are indeed quite :bigpimp:

el_fefes
11-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Kind of changing topic but...What's the use of a gecko? What do they do?

BebeAphrodite
12-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by el_fefes
Kind of changing topic but...What's the use of a gecko? What do they do?

Aren't they just pets?

GTS Jeff
12-01-2004, 01:12 AM
actually ive been wondering about hte llama thing for awhile since i see llama farms out in the country by my parents house.

and this brings up another question:

WHAT ARE DINOSAURS USED FOR?

finboy
12-01-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
actually ive been wondering about hte llama thing for awhile since i see llama farms out in the country by my parents house.

and this brings up another question:

WHAT ARE DINOSAURS USED FOR?

fossil fuels :D

Kamen
12-01-2004, 01:31 AM
Might as well ask what the point of life is...:rolleyes:

h22aseller
12-01-2004, 02:25 PM
they're deadly accurate when they spit at you. guess they could be considered armed guards.

el_fefes
12-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

Aren't they just pets?

I was just kidding. Making fun of your question...I guess Jeff chose a better question