PDA

View Full Version : Computer VS Car Deck

Davan
12-04-2002, 01:27 PM
A question for someone who may know...

Since a car head unit runs off 12 volt power... and a computer power supply produces both 5 volt and 12 volt... would you be able to run a head unit off of a computer power supply?

RickDaTuner
12-05-2002, 06:16 AM
i htired this once tired to run an amp of my comp but the Computer crashed and shut off, it was only 300 Wats too, mabey thats a little to much, well the Power regulator on a comp is really Cautious of anything so i doubt it would let you, you could always try, but why would you want too?

Davan
12-05-2002, 09:58 AM
My roomate has a spare deck and I've got a couple speakers. We wanna set up a radio in the garage. Instead of going out and buying one, why not use what we've already got? :)

I guess I'll try it out one of these days...

ninspeed
12-17-2002, 06:21 PM
or you can just use a batter charger

davidI
12-17-2002, 06:31 PM
I don't know if it will be able to power the speakers very much. I have a bunch of old ricer gear powered by a Computer Power Supply in my room. I have a black light and one of those lightning rods and stuff and they work so it might be worth a try...

eur0
12-26-2002, 01:42 PM
my friends dad used a car deck as a radio in his garage, its a neat idea

davidI
12-26-2002, 02:07 PM
it's definately easier to buy a car battery charger and then just hook the deck up to an old car battery. I think you have to be careful with some batteries though because they emmit hydrogen.

egmike
12-31-2002, 08:20 PM
I have a old power supply from computer and I powered up a 10 in sub pretty good, just take all the 12 V leads and solder them together and do the same with ground leads. Check the amperage on the power supply too, mine was 20 amps @ 5volts and 8 amps at 12volts and it worked Ok, if you are just powering up a deck and speakers it should work fine.