PDA

View Full Version : workin out homie

dave101
11-28-2004, 12:00 AM
hey i was just wondering if u guys have any workout suggestions like how to build up your pecks and your arms. im 16 and pretty skinny and i need beef up! help

Toms-SC
11-28-2004, 12:46 AM
how about beefing up your brain first?

doublepostwhore
11-28-2004, 12:50 AM
Protein shakes... and alot of weight lifting

I assume you have started to do cardio training first... cant build healthy muscle without healthy blood flow... so make sure the most important muscle is developed first (your heart).

Second at 16 its not to healthy to start trying to bulk out with hardcore regiments... as you are still growng the effects of certain growth mediums might be a little less then desireable on your overall growth/maturing.

DO NOT rush bulking up... you should try to aim for 2-4 LBs a week... you should never be gaining more weight then it it is healthy to lose... maybe a personal trainer if you have the bling.

DUBBED
11-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Go five days a week and work a different body group each day.

Do 5 exercises per body group and 4 sets of each exercise.

Do 6-10 reps of each set.

Do your max weight so you fail on a rep before you do 10.

But I agree with Double your body hasn't fully developed yet and you're only going to get hurt by putting on so much weight. Do lots of cardio and get in good habits now so 3 years down the road when you're done growing you can put on some serious mass.

statick
11-28-2004, 09:19 AM
lift plenty of weights, do the one day interval per muscle group thing as mentioned before. dont worry bout eating too much, as long as it has some nutritional value just stuff ur self with it. always warm up with at least 20 mins cardio. good luck with it:D

digi355
11-28-2004, 09:22 AM
upper follows lower, worlk legs and shoulders twice a week, combo with chest and back. Its the fastest way to make a gain.

pinoyhero
11-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Don't go nutz with working out quite yet, go with a half cario half weights routine (I would suggests lighter weight higher rep traiing to start). And eat tons of food. Don't worry about cutting out all fat your metabolism at that age will help to burn off any excess. The key however is protien. Rather than protien shakes I suggest meal replacements, they will have vitsand mineras as well as carbs.

badseed
11-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by dave101
hey i was just wondering if u guys have any workout suggestions like how to build up your pecks and your arms. im 16 and pretty skinny and i need beef up! help

I think you should focus on the body as a unit you will not see weight gains by only working your chest and arms. Do a search on this topic it has been brought up many of times.

~Leah~
11-28-2004, 10:32 AM
:banghead: See the fitness forum

dave101
11-28-2004, 10:47 AM
all this is very helpful but exercises do for each part of the body. thats whats killing me

DUBBED
11-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by dave101
all this is very helpful but exercises do for each part of the body. thats whats killing me

What are you trying to say here?

dave101
11-28-2004, 11:47 AM
nvm i worded that incorrectly. but nvm. thx guys

Kaos
11-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by digi355
upper follows lower, worlk legs and shoulders twice a week, combo with chest and back. Its the fastest way to make a gain.

Actually...
you should do your shoulders once a week, your muscles need to heal for a week to repair the damaged tissue.

badseed
11-28-2004, 12:52 PM
^ Actaully......if you want to get technical.

Small muscle groups = 48 hours rest
Large muscle groups = 48 - 72 hours rest

You should never directly work the same muscle group consecutively ex. chest 2 days in a row. Your muscles do not need 1 week to heal regardless of the muscle group, especially if your working out consistently. I don't know where you got this idea from :dunno:

You can definitely exrecise the same muscle group twice in a week maybe even 3 depending on your type of training.

BloodBaneZXY
11-28-2004, 01:08 PM
^^ Actually if you want to get technical

You SHOULD be doing secondary muscles only once a week, seeing as how heavy compound lifts use other muscles a ridiculous amount (ie; Bench = Chest/Tri, Military Press = Front Delts/Traps/Tris, Dips = Chest/Tri, Pullups = Biceps/Lats etc) So in all truth stick to them once a week and you'll see significant gains.

Shoot for 6-10 reps like dubbed said, but do NOT 20 sets per bodypart, aim for 12 for larger muscles (ie; Back/Chest) and 6ish for smaller...like my chest day is..

Flat DB(alternating with DB) - 3 x 6-8 reps
Incline DB - 3 x 6-8 reps
Weighted Dips - 3 x Failure
Flies (Even though these are debated often as to whether or not they're beneficial to chest development, I still throw them in) - 3 x 6-8
Incline Skullcrushers - 3 x 8 reps
Closegrip Bench or Pulldowns - 3 x 6-8 reps

Don't workout and drink "protein shakes", but EAT protein! Protein shakes are supplements, and that's all they should be thought of as, not your primary source of protein intake, eat properly man and you'll see REAL good changes (Tuna, egg whites, brown rice, oatmeal, lots of vegetables, chicken breasts, turkey, whole wheat bread etc). A good body is made in the kitchen..

Sleep is essential too, always shoot for 8+ hours..and don't think you're gonna tank up super fast, but provided you stick with a good routine and eat properly you'll see some impressive gains pretty fast..Good luck dude

badseed
11-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
^^ Actually if you want to get technical

You SHOULD be doing secondary muscles only once a week, seeing as how heavy compound lifts use other muscles a ridiculous amount (ie; Bench = Chest/Tri, Military Press = Front Delts/Traps/Tris, Dips = Chest/Tri, Pullups = Biceps/Lats etc) So in all truth stick to them once a week and you'll see significant gains.

Yes it is true that secondary movers are INDIRECTLY utilized during multi joint exercises. But that doesn't mean you can only exericse your bi's/tri's once in a week. They are considered small muscle groups therefore can be recovered in 48 hours.

I'm done posting on this usless thread. So go ahead and refute my statements.

Fordpower.ca
11-28-2004, 01:45 PM
3 words...

LIFT AND EAT

davidI
11-28-2004, 01:50 PM
I'd stick to working each muscle group once a week as well. At your age, the most important thing is to eat a lot of good food!! You can probably get away wtih overtraining for a few months but after that you'll want to cut back to something like bloodbane said.

Unless you're looking to do a westside-barbell conjugate periodization type routine (which I know you're not) you probably shouldn't be hittin each day of your split more htan once a week.

My favourite split is still
Chest/Tri's
Back/Bi's
Shoulders/Forearms/Abs
Legs

Sometimes I'll do it in a 6 day cycle instead of the full week but you ahve to listen to your body and vary it up.

For a beginner, don't even waste your time trying to work smaller muscle groups. Just hit the bigger muscles (Chest, Traps, Lats, Quads) and the others will grow. I wouldn't even train biceps or triceps directly for the first few months or until you put on some mass!

BloodBaneZXY
11-28-2004, 01:59 PM
^^ Exactly, I live and die on that split on summer..and when you go hard on your main lifts, your smaller muscles WILL grow, you don't need to focus that hard on them..