PDA

View Full Version : Good places to ground amp

wharton
11-28-2004, 09:27 PM
What's up "ya'll." Looks like there's some "pros" around here huh? Anyway, I'm installing a small amp in my trunk. Know of any exceptionally accessable spots for the ground? (I know it's got to be BARE metal)

pyro
11-28-2004, 09:37 PM
yup well thats pretty much it just put one of those connectors on the end of ur ground wire and then u want the wire as short as possible and then screw it into a meatal spot. makes sure to sand the paint of the spot so that u get a good connection

Rikimaru
11-29-2004, 03:12 PM
what i did for mine is using a clamp thing and clamped it to the bracket for the trunk hinge and dind forget to grind off the paint and clamp it down hard for best connection.:D :thumbsup:

SteveMo600
11-29-2004, 06:04 PM
A buddy of mine told me that you can ground to the negative battery connection...is this true or safe?

theken
11-29-2004, 06:12 PM
thats way too far of a connection, like 2 feet at the most, or it will be shitty

SteveMo600
11-29-2004, 07:13 PM
The battery on my BMW is in the trunk. The length of the ground wire would be like 1 foot at the most. Is it safe then?

digitalshogun
11-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600
The battery on my BMW is in the trunk. The length of the ground wire would be like 1 foot at the most. Is it safe then?

To be honest ... you are going to get a mix of responses back on this one. The easiest answer is yes, grounding to the battery is fine. From an electrical view, if it is not subject to interference (ie from a long run of wire going past lots of other junk) it is the exact same point electrically as ground. The reason most people dont use this is because of the distance back to the negative terminal.

If you look at the negative pole on your battery (even more so if it is in the trunk) ... it should be run almost directly to ground anyway. It might be easier to ground to that point.

spike98
11-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Grounding to the neg post is A OK! It just gets expensive because you need a huge length of wire. Other than that anywhere is good if the paint is removed and is BOLTED to the chassis.

But in your case the neg post is your best bet.

SteveMo600
11-30-2004, 03:35 PM
sweet thanks