PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a manual Boost Controller

Shoebox//Racer
11-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Hey guys, for now i've kinda given up on finding any ecu's or any computerized stuff for that matter for my Volvo for now since there doesnt really seem to be much out there ( especially in calgary ) for it.

Im want to up my boost since i think im sitting somewhere around 4-6 psi stock. I've heard my car can take up to 15-17 on stock internals so i kinda want to play it safe and just up my boost to 10-11. Obviously a cheaper solution would be to go with a simple Manual Boost controller right?

I know they range anywhere from 30-50$ or something.

do you have any favourites?
what/who do i need to see before installation?
what kind of equipment do i need to tune it?

just trying to figure out all the steps to install one.

thx guys.

ps. is there anything you guys would suggest upgrading once i up my boost to 10-11psi? also if i was planning on going higher what other stuff would need to be changed?

thx again

Owned Again
11-29-2004, 04:34 PM
just strap on a manual boost controller and set your boost as high as you want. Dont worry about anything like added fuel or the like cause that shit is meaningless...

Go hard or go home, you'll find out that that saying should be go hard and end up walking home.

Get a manual boost controller, a boost gauge, do something with fuel... just get more... read some shit, find out useless shit like if your car has a fuel cut at a certain PSI... and then, kill yourself

gpomp
11-29-2004, 05:01 PM
omg, call tunerworks and get a ecu.

2.0turbo
11-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Your fuel will need to be upgraded.

You will need a boost gauge and for safety's sake, either an air fuel gauge or an exhaust gas temperature gauge. Both will tell you if you are too lean but the EGT will be more accurate since most people will hook the a/f to their stock o2 sensor which will work but not as accurately as you may need.

Find out what tempurature is unsafe for you volvo's exhaust to be running ( talon is 1650 degrees pre turbo max - manifold - ) Temperature will vary about 150 to 200 degrees less for post turbo - downpipe, provided it is as close to the turbo as possible-.

I fiqure that the stock fuel on a talon can accomodate an approximate increase of 33% boost. Maybe that is the same for yours. Do some reading before you lean out and blow your motor.

dj_honda
11-29-2004, 05:23 PM
doing a quick search on your car....there are quite a few chip manufacturers that make chips for your cars. if you want performance, go look at an upsolute chip. i think Concept 1 in calgary are dealers....the upsolute chip claims raising horsepower to 277 and the torque to 300lb ft. That should be more than enough.

the reason why i say go with a chip is, because with the chip it raises boost but it also should compensate for your fuel.

also, look at an exhaust to free up some more power and maybe a downpipe if you can find one or get one custom made. the power gains with an exhaust on your car seem to be pretty decent.

this is all from searching on volvospeed for a little while. seems like a good forum.

gpomp
11-29-2004, 05:50 PM
UPSOLUTE Calgary , Alberta
Simon Lomas
Calgary , Alberta
Canada

Police
11-29-2004, 09:05 PM
if your waste gate is set at around 4-6PSI i don't think you can change the boost with the MBC, you need to change the wastegate spring and if its internal waste gated i don't think theres much you can do to up the boost besides a EBC correct anyone?

gpomp
11-29-2004, 09:09 PM
stock is 9.x psi... its controlled by the ecu.

Shoebox//Racer
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
yeah 9.6 psi..... dammit... i was hoping it was lower but oh well. My car should be able to take around 13-15 safely with out doing too too much. I guess i dont really have a choice but to chip my car... especially after aleks smoked me.

or i chould just shave off 1200 pounds and i'll be around the same weight hehehehe