PDA

View Full Version : Replacing transmission..?

ex1z7
11-29-2004, 08:21 AM
So, it turns out that a car I'm aquiring needs a new transmission. It's an auto right now and I was considering doing a manual tranny swap, but, for a car I don't intend on keeping more then a few months it really isn't worth the effort IMO.

I was just wondering how much time it takes to swap an auto tranny, given the guys I'm going to know their stuff. I'm just wondering how long my car is going to be out of action. My car is an 87 Accord LX, I found a replacement tranny for 400, and I'm sure I could get one for less given I got lucky at a scrap yard or something.

What exactly is involved in swapping a tranny..? The hardest part I've heard was getting to the 12 or so bolts that connect the trans to the engine .. is that true ? I've only messed around with a transmission when it was already off the car, and helped remove it from the engine which was also out of the car.

I'm not planning on doing this myself or anything, but I do intend on helping the friends of mine who are going to help me do this, and would like to go in with some knowledge beforehand.

Thanks ! :)