PDA

View Full Version : Is there are way to tell when timing belt needs done?

bigbadboss101
11-29-2004, 01:13 PM
I don't have the records from the previous owner(s). Car has 208000km. When does the timing belt needs to be done? At 100km? Does that mean it should have been done a couple times? Are there signs that dictates it's time to change the belt/chain? It's a 97 Lude BTW.

redline
11-29-2004, 01:40 PM
honda suggests every 100k , so i would do it for safty if you dont know

ryder_23
11-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
I don't have the records from the previous owner(s). Car has 208000km. When does the timing belt needs to be done? At 100km? Does that mean it should have been done a couple times? Are there signs that dictates it's time to change the belt/chain? It's a 97 Lude BTW.

you have 208k and you havnt changed it? I suggest if thats the case, to change it asap. I have a 97 lude, with 80 000km now, and i had it replaced at 69 000km. Better to be safe then sorry.

Gspotracer
11-29-2004, 01:51 PM
I think in the manual Honda says 100,000km under harsh driving conditions & 130,000km under normal, so depending on how hard the car is driven I guess. I would change it to be safe, then you know you are good for another 100,000:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
11-29-2004, 03:20 PM
One way to check is to take your valve cover off. If you can see very thin white lines on your belt, it is an indication that the belt should be changed as it's becoming thinner (and the teeth are showing through the belt). That's not the gold standard, but you can see whether a belt needs to be changed that way.

My advice - change it anyways. You can get someone to do it for a few hundred, and it is well worth it. You can go another 90k or so without a change.

blizare
11-29-2004, 07:12 PM
I'd change whatever else runs off the timing belt. Not sure about hondas but my DSM got a new waterpump, tensioner pully, and oil pump.

and of course, a new belt.

rayoun
11-29-2004, 11:03 PM
I would change it. It's cheap and not difficult to replace anyway. Mind you on my '92 civic, I never changed it for the first 300,000km, and i drove really hard!! and when i took the belt out, it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.
Some things too look for are slow acceleration, loss of momentary power, and so on.

3G
11-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
One way to check is to take your valve cover off. If you can see very thin white lines on your belt, it is an indication that the belt should be changed as it's becoming thinner (and the teeth are showing through the belt). That's not the gold standard, but you can see whether a belt needs to be changed that way.

My advice - change it anyways. You can get someone to do it for a few hundred, and it is well worth it. You can go another 90k or so without a change.

If you pull the valve cover off to check would you have to change the valve cover gasket too? oh well, cuz i gotta change mine anyways. How much does it cost on average to change it? like around $500? how long does it take?

Mine was last done @ like 91 000 and it has 219 000 on it!

93SuperScort
11-29-2004, 11:18 PM
timing belts are no where near that price, U can get a belt for around $50-$60 give or take. Then u can do it urself or get it done somewhere, should take a good mechanic around an hour and that totally depends on the car.( I dont know much about hondas, so i cant really guess. I changed the timing chain on a fwd car that took me and a certified mechanic 5 hours, and ive done other belts in less than an hour. Usually u only change ur water pump unless its run off of your timing belt.

legendboy
11-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by redline
honda suggests every 100k , so i would do it for safty if you dont know

:werd:

Trust me, they do snap. Speaking from experience.

Weapon_R
11-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by 3G

If you pull the valve cover off to check would you have to change the valve cover gasket too? oh well, cuz i gotta change mine anyways. How much does it cost on average to change it? like around $500? how long does it take?

Mine was last done @ like 91 000 and it has 219 000 on it!

I didn't have to change my valve cover gasket because I was careful taking it off.

And it only cost me $80 or so in parts - I did it myself but it was the worst experience ever. Thinking back, i'd rather pay someone to do it rather than try and fight with that crank bolt. I've never seen a tougher bolt to remove - it broke 3 1/2" mastercraft extensions, and we only got it off because we went and got a 1" ratchet and extensions.

mazda_maniac
12-01-2004, 07:44 PM
You broke them cause it was mastercraft sockets, I just broke three 10mm sockets, and a u joint taking a pesky intake manifold off.