PDA

View Full Version : Cop car cameras

Talies R
11-29-2004, 01:39 PM
This story can be found on the calgary herald website, I think it's an excellent idea!

Cop car cameras

The head of Calgary's police union wants dashboard video cameras installed in police cruisers.

Sergeant Al Koenig says that could help restore public trust in the police service recently swamped by allegations of brutality and racism.

He says if a DVD can be played, it will either exonerate the officer or be the evidence needed to prove improper conduct.

He says equipping all of the city's 150 police cruisers equipped with dashboard cameras and accompanying microphones would initially cost the city about $1-million.

joseph
11-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Good idea IMO:thumbsup:

EnRich
11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Great, I guess tax payers will once again cough up that money... The city should use the money that police whore us from tickets...

cman
11-29-2004, 02:04 PM
great idea, but is it worht the cost to us?

Xtrema
11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Meh, they just want to sell footages to those chase video shows.

Kaos
11-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by cman
great idea, but is it worht the cost to us? I think its totally worth it. With all the incidents involving the police (excessive force)
I think it's good to show wether or not their conduct was used in a correct manner.

5.9 R/T
11-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Considering the cost involved in investigating and then the lawsuits that usually follow an excessive force/racism case with the police the cost of these cameras would be easily recovered in the first few years.

shadow
11-29-2004, 07:38 PM
It would provide very good evidence when complaints arise from one side or another.
I am totally for it.

Every once in a while you hear of the one officer who has no problem yelling at you for minor things... it may keep the few bad apples a little more polite. =)

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Let's hope they will be using DVD recording.

On Channel 7 tonight, they aired this story and showed actual RCMP in-car footage, but it was a crappy video tape that looked like it was recorded over 100 times.

cman
11-29-2004, 08:25 PM
good to see im not the only person who thinks its worth it:thumbsup:

DUBBED
11-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I've had no problems with police so I don't think they're necessary for ME.

On the other hand I think that since there have been a couple examples of excessive force in the city where it would have been useful. The police have to be accountable to someone, and we have no way of reviewing their activities. I'm all for it.

Until then it's just one word against another.

George_Reyes
11-30-2004, 10:31 AM
nope. it didnt go through. the cameras wont be necessary according to the police chief. heard it on the radio.

skidmark
11-30-2004, 08:32 PM
I'd love to have one. Trouble is, they are about $7,000 and the budget won't stand for it.

If I'm wrong, tune me up. If not, tell the complainant to get lost.

ninspeed
11-30-2004, 08:49 PM
The biggest reason they want these according to the union spokes person is due to racial complaints at bars. Most cops dont want to go near 1st becuase of this... so instead of putting cameras in all cars, lets get toghter with the business/club owners have them split the cost on some cameras watching the streets and doorways of trouble areas.

Also, not everybody does is racialy motivated, but there is another thread that stopms on this (this is canada eh?)

LancerShelby
11-30-2004, 11:39 PM
Not only will it clear up incidents, but it will give an officer something to think about before acting like an asshole:guns:

in*10*se
12-04-2004, 01:09 PM
with the excess surplus from traffic tickets, redlight cameras and photo radar... WE CAN EASILY afford this...

Fluidic
12-04-2004, 02:38 PM
I think we should do this. Great idea!

403Gemini
12-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by LancerShelby
Not only will it clear up incidents, but it will give an officer something to think about before acting like an asshole:guns:

or clear up all the bullshit from assholes claiming police abuse. my buddy whose a cop had 2 guys get outta the car and threating him so he took out his baton cause they were gunna rush him (some older teen 18-19 , was the driver) and his older uncle got out and it was just him.

They backed down when he took out the baton so no shots were exchanged and they called it in saying he used excessive force and hit the kid.

im all for the camera to avoid this shit