PDA

View Full Version : Student Loans

Ajay
11-29-2004, 02:45 PM
A friend of mine told me that if you graduate with a high enough GPA you can actually get some of your student loans wiped out?

Is their any truth to that or is he just blowing sunshine up my ass?

project240
11-29-2004, 03:25 PM
:bullshit:

You can get Bursaries from the government, lowering the amount you have to repay, but it's not guaranteed, nor dependant on grades.

Weapon_R
11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Actually you can get remissions if you apply and qualify for them. I think that you MUST pay about 18k in your loans, but you may qualify for remissions over and above 18k.

saiyajin
11-29-2004, 03:28 PM
dont know if its the same but i got interest relief where they just gave me more time to pay it off before they pile on the interest on my loans:dunno:

HillBilly
11-29-2004, 03:36 PM
When I graduated from college, (2000) I recieved a letter from Canada Student Loans that said because I had a GPA of 3.7, they were forgiving $3000.00 of my student loans.

Studying paid off!!

roopi
11-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Your GPA is not a factor regarding remission. Just graduate and you will receive remission. They have also changed it so you don't have to apply for it.

Mckenzie
11-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Scholarships are where its at for me. I just got a $5000 scholarship that is renewable in my fourth year as long as I keep up a 3.2 GPA. Studying hard does indeed pay off! :thumbsup:

3G
11-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know where to apply for grants etc. I got accepted into SAIT and need to apply for one!

2.2vtec
11-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Your GPA is not a factor regarding remission. Just graduate and you will receive remission. They have also changed it so you don't have to apply for it.

How do you know if you are eligable?My loans will probaby be in the amount of 20-21 thousand.... I really don't want to pay all of that off:D

Mckenzie
11-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by 3G
Does anyone know where to apply for grants etc. I got accepted into SAIT and need to apply for one!

Go to the student finance office. It should be under financial aid, or awards, etc. in a directory of the schools departments.

3G
11-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Go to the student finance office. It should be under financial aid, or awards, etc. in a directory of the schools departments.

is that at SAIT?

Mckenzie
11-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by 3G

is that at SAIT?

Well I have no idea what it is called at SAIT, but SAIT will have a department that handles all of this stuff. Search their website or look on the government website about loans, grants, etc.

dj_honda
11-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Scholarships are where its at for me. I just got a $5000 scholarship that is renewable in my fourth year as long as I keep up a 3.2 GPA. Studying hard does indeed pay off! :thumbsup:

what do you do for extra cirricular?

BebeAphrodite
11-30-2004, 04:49 PM

wow
what kind of scholarship is that?

Mckenzie
12-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Its the Hunter Family Foundation Scholarship for entrepreneurial initiatives and academic merit. I started a business when I was 17 the year after I graduated high school. We are the distributor for plastic lumber building products in the Calgary area for a manufacturer out of Red Deer. You have probably seen the stuff in bus benches, golf courses and in parks.

As for extra-curicular, I am not with any school clubs or anything. I play in a band occasionally and do some sports....I probably should get onto the whole club thing though.;)

dj_honda
12-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Its the Hunter Family Foundation Scholarship for entrepreneurial initiatives and academic merit. I started a business when I was 17 the year after I graduated high school. We are the distributor for plastic lumber building products in the Calgary area for a manufacturer out of Red Deer. You have probably seen the stuff in bus benches, golf courses and in parks.

As for extra-curicular, I am not with any school clubs or anything. I play in a band occasionally and do some sports....I probably should get onto the whole club thing though.;)

yea the thing about some scholarships is you need to be heavily involved in extra curricular. but thats awesome you started a business already so i am sure that played a big part in it.