PDA

View Full Version : Old school arcade/atari advice

Melinda
11-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Okay not too sure how many people can help me, but when my mom was younger she ADORED the stand up arcade game of TRON (see it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4315&item=8150309948&rd=1 )

I cant afford the stand up game for her, but there are two different TRON games availible for atari. Does anyone know if either of them (They are called "The Adventures of TRON" and "TRON: Deadly Disks" ) are the same as the arcade game?

I really dont know and this would be an absolutely amazing gift for my mom so any help would be SO appreciated! Thanks :)

QuasarCav
11-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Have you ever checked out the cash convertors on Macleod and 94th?

I also saw a full atari set-up with tonnes of games for $15 at the cash convertors on 17th.

Melinda
11-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Have you ever checked out the cash convertors on Macleod and 94th?

I also saw a full atari set-up with tonnes of games for $15 at the cash convertors on 17th.
Yeah I have a few ideas of where to get the Atari from, I just need to know if the two tron games built for it are anything like the stand up arcade one...if they aren't, then there is no point getting it for my mom.

sputnik
11-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Or download MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) and find the ROM files from the actual Tron arcade game. Then she can play the actual game on her computer.

And it is FREE (sort of). There are the moral implications of having an unlicenced copy of a 30 year old arcade game on your hard drive.

EDIT: Might not work since the Tron arcade game had a "Tron Spinner" control that is unique to any computer or video game system. Based on that I would assume that the Atari versions arent the same.

Melinda
11-29-2004, 04:05 PM
^ Thanks, that's a good backup option for me :) ...check pm

sputnik
11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
check my edit and my PM

:(

Melinda
11-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Tron spinner control? What is that? Sorry I'm not ignorant, I just really have no idea what any of this means, it just means lots to my mom and I want her to have an awesome christmas :)

sputnik
11-29-2004, 04:25 PM
The spinner control is just a unique controller... basically like a Trackball (ala Golden Tee). In this case it was like the Atari paddles which were basically a wheel that you turned left or right (similar to the game Arkanoid). However with Tron the spinner wheel was on a set of bearing and was weighted so that you could spin it and it would keep spinning for a while.

It is something that cant be replicated easily with a keyboard and mouse... or with a joystick even. The Atari had the paddles however when you spin them they stop right away.

Melinda
11-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Hmm sucky...so I may be S.O.L.?? :(

George_Reyes
11-29-2004, 04:36 PM
what a wonderful game. I loved it back in my day

Melinda
11-29-2004, 04:38 PM
^ Gee thanks, you're so helpful :rolleyes:

bspot
11-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
^ Gee thanks, you're so helpful :rolleyes:

:whocares: he just said he liked the game.. no need to snap at him.

Melinda
11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by bspot

:whocares: he just said he liked the game.. no need to snap at him.
I realize that, but all these threads get so far off topic...soon everyone will be like "Yeah I played that game when I was a kid, that was the shit"...I'm just asking for some help :)

bspot
11-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

I realize that, but all these threads get so far off topic...soon everyone will be like "Yeah I played that game when I was a kid, that was the shit"...I'm just asking for some help :)

Well in that case:

Tron Arcade #1 (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_url?q=http://www.quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/3088&fr=AHaP_Q61Z7ysmXJj2qLhzVr6eTgrEhjGBRtL-3pb95ZpqHuEQat4C2MAAAAAAAAAAA)

Tron Arcade #2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6120462383&category=13716)

Second one is $250 (and in Canada)... first one is almost $2000. Found them with www.froogle.com.