PDA

View Full Version : About Oil and Gas for 2005 Camry V6

liuhais
11-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Hi there, I got my 2005 Camry V6 recently. I have 2 questions:

1. What's the best time to change the 1st oil ? some people say 1000km, some people say following the manual( 6000km ). Which one is better ?
Who knows whether the original oil filled by manufacture is the same as the dealer's "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" ? or is it a special oil for the new car for the first run ?
Is it worth to change to "Synthetic Motor Oil" for the 1st oil change?

Some people say changing to use synthetic oil is one-way ticket, it's not good to change back to conventional engine oil, is that true ? And some people say synthetic have the posibility to make engine leak oil, I worry about it...

2. Which gas (octane) should I use for my Camry V6 3.0L with 10.5:1 ? 87, 89 or 91 ? Is it bad if i switch between 87, 89 and 91 ? Why ?

Thanks a lot !!!

rayoun
11-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Your car is new, there is no reason for it to develop a leak. Most people say that about old cars where the seals have been broken in way too much (ie i would not use anything other than conventional 10-30 in my 92 crown vic p71) . I would refer to your owners manual for the octane. Some people say that you should use the lowest octane you can use as long as the engine doesn't ping. I would personally always go with the highest ocatne i can find (why sacrifice quality for a couple of bocks). Low quality fuel can leave a lot of sufur in your catilitic coverter, and can eventually plug it . I would for sure go with synthetic on your engine. It lasts longer, it's much more fluid, and it can stand the cold better! If you can get your hand on Amsoil, i would use that, if not, i would strongly recommend that you'd go with the dealer brand oil. Aside from that i would check to see where you can do your oil change not to void your warranty. as for as the period of oil change, if you want to do it every 1000km, then do it! I would do it every 5000km with synthetic, and less than 5000 with conventional, but that's because i'm really anal. There is really no reason to do it earlier than that though.
Oh one more thing. Keep away from FRAM filters! Only buy dealer's filters, or high quality WIX, purolator and so on. I personally use motorcraft filters religiously, but that's because i drive a ford.

Nugsy
11-29-2004, 11:22 PM
I'd follow the manufacture's recommendation of 5000 or 6000km (no more) then change to Synthetic oil. You'll want to break-in your car with the manufacture's (conventional oil) before changing to fresh synthetic.
You see, when your engine was built or machined by the manufacture, there could be some very small metal filings that were left behind. Then as you break-in your engine, there could be more filings that'll form in the first couple 1000 kms... all normal, but that's why you want to wait till you get to 5000 km to change your oil... let the conventional oil do the work.

As for Synthetics being bad for burn off or leaking... totally FALSE! Just a myth. I use 0w30 Amsoil Synthetic which is an "extended drain" oil... meaning I only change my oil every 30,000 km or every year and a half. I can honestly tell you that I didn't add an once of oil over that period. You have nothing to worry about and you'll never go back.

Synthetics are expensive, but totally worth every penny. They offer; smoother cold temperature start-ups... better fuel economy... engine runs a few degrees cooler... engine runs more effeciently and will lasts longer. Sure synthetics are expensive, but the way I look at it is... they're only expensive if I total-off my vehicule in the first few weeks of changing my oil.

I'd suggest nothing but the best.... check out www.amsoil.com

AllGoNoShow
11-30-2004, 01:15 AM
It isn't a myth that Synthetics leak, it just doesn't happen on newer cars, only older ones becuase the gaskets have been plugged and saturated in non-synthetic oil and hwne you changed over the synthetic oil could get into alot more places and it would leak because its a much finer oil if you want to call it that.

When you bought the car, did you agree on any sort of service contract, I know on our 05 (I think dunno aint my car) Honda, if we agreed to the service contract, which is every 5000km we bring it in they do the oil change/filters for us, for free, then we wouldn't have to worry about synthetic or anything, we can ofcourse get higher grade oil into the car if we wish to pay their extra cost but the filters is what counts on the new cars, you don't what to have a shitty filter, especially right at the beginning of use because if the fillings get into a crap filter, they will plug it and you will loose your oil pressure and as we all know, or should know, that isnt a good thing.

liuhais
11-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys !

If I change to Syn. Oil at the 1st time oil change, is that necessary to "flush" the engine ? I mean will it bring me trouble if they mix Syn. oil with some original oil, which hasn't been drained completely ? Because I can't expect the dealer guy will spend a lot of time to drain the original oil, they always say "express" oil change ! While I cann't do it myself or somewhere else, at least when the car is still under warranty, the Toyota dealers provide both conventional oil and synthetic oil.

Thanks again !

Nugsy
11-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by liuhais
Thanks guys !

If I change to Syn. Oil at the 1st time oil change, is that necessary to "flush" the engine ? I mean will it bring me trouble if they mix Syn. oil with some original oil, which hasn't been drained completely ? Because I can't expect the dealer guy will spend a lot of time to drain the original oil, they always say "express" oil change ! While I cann't do it myself or somewhere else, at least when the car is still under warranty, the Toyota dealers provide both conventional oil and synthetic oil.

Thanks again !
You can flush the engine if you wish, but I don't think it's totally necessary with a brand new car... it wouldn't hurt if you can handle the extra $8.
An engine flush doesn't mean that they'll get all 100% of the old oil, like a Rad flush or T-Tech Tranny flush. It's just a detergent like fluid that you add to your oil right before you drain... you idle for about 10 to 15 minutes, then drain. The Flush helps to thin your oil and clean the engine. Since it makes your old & dirty oil thinner & warmer than normal, it probably does helps to get a few extra ounces to drain.
If you're concerned with trying to get every last drop of old oil (kind of like myself), I can only tell you that it's impossible to get it all. When I change my oil, I tend to let it drip for about a half hour... (but I'm pretty anal with my oil). If I were you, I'd go to Toyota when they're not busy, then I'd ask if they could let the oil drain for an extra 5 or 10 minutes. Don't go with a Semi-Syn... 100% Synthetic is the way to go. I really don't know why they even make that Semi-Syn crap!?!
The most important thing to keep in mind if you're considering a change to Synthetic is to not cheap out on your oil Filter... your filter is very important. -That reminds me... your Air Filter is as important. (I change mine every 9 months)
Again, if you're concerned about a few ounces of old Conventional oil mixing in with your new Syn oil... don't worry... you'll get it on your next oil change.

rayoun
11-30-2004, 09:58 PM
I would do an engine flush if i were you, but that's because i'm realyl anal, as i've said before. If I had your car, there is no way in this world that i would use anything other than what the dealer sells. You're covering ur ass, and you're also giving good quality parts in there. DO NOT GO AND BUY SOME CRAP FROM WALMART. Your car deserve better!

liuhais
12-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks again guys !

Toyota dealers offer 2 kinds of Synthetic oil:
Mobil1 Synthetic oil and Toyota Synthetic oil.
Which one do you recommend ?
How can I know that whether they really add the Synthetic oil to the engine ? Because I can't look aside when they are working ( they won't let me in ), even I pay more than 2 times the price, I worry they will cheat and just add the conventional oil for me... Maybe I worry too much...

And Nugsy, what did you mean "The most important thing to keep in mind if you're considering a change to Synthetic is to not cheap out on your oil Filter... your filter is very important."
The manual says every 6 months / 8,000km for lubrication. So, you recommend me change oil and oil filter even I use Syn oil ? If it's really good for the car, for sure I don't mind to follow...

Thanks !

Nugsy
12-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by liuhais
Thanks again guys !

Toyota dealers offer 2 kinds of Synthetic oil:
Mobil1 Synthetic oil and Toyota Synthetic oil.
Which one do you recommend ?
How can I know that whether they really add the Synthetic oil to the engine ? Because I can't look aside when they are working ( they won't let me in ), even I pay more than 2 times the price, I worry they will cheat and just add the conventional oil for me... Maybe I worry too much...

And Nugsy, what did you mean "The most important thing to keep in mind if you're considering a change to Synthetic is to not cheap out on your oil Filter... your filter is very important."
The manual says every 6 months / 8,000km for lubrication. So, you recommend me change oil and oil filter even I use Syn oil ? If it's really good for the car, for sure I don't mind to follow...

Thanks !
If you signed a service contract and Toyota says that you can only use their 'in shop products', then I'd recommend Mobil 1... only because I don't know anything about Toyota Synthetics, which I'm sure they're good as well.

As for not being sure that your shop is honest enough to put in the Synthetic you purchased... I really don't know what to say, other than maybe asking if you can go into the shop to watch them pour it. If not, ask if you can see all of the 4 or 5 litre bottles before they do the job, mark your initials on all bottles and ask to see the empties after. Tell them that it'll make you sleep at night. --You're not the only one that would worry about that.

Oil filters... are very important because you have dirt and metal particles that collect in your engine. The size of particles that produce the most engine wear are in the 5 to 20 microns. (the width of a human hair is about 100 microns) Most oil filters (the cheaper ones) may only filter down to 20 microns. The better ones filter down to about 10 to 15 microns.

By doing my research I found that the Mobil 1 filter is one of the best and I'm guessing it would be in the 10 to 12 micron range. But if you're asking me my opinion on what the best filter is... ask me and I'll let you know.

Here's a few acticles you can read regarding oil filters and the importance of a good one...
http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/article_history_oilfiltration.htm
http://www.motoroilbible.com/seven.html
I would read all that's offered on motoroilbible.com... awesome site.

As for changing your filter... they'll do it at every oil change... no questions.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions. You can send me a Private Message and I can send you more info or links to articles.