PDA

View Full Version : VW engine

Lo)2enz0
11-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey guys,
I am looking for a engine for my mk3 golf and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with acquiring them in Calgary. Oh ya, say I am changing from a 1.8L (non turbo) to either the 2.0L or maybe a VR6. just looking for some help, new with the VW scene.
laurier

ricosuave
11-30-2004, 02:21 PM
clubveedub.com

beyond.ca

newveedub.com

DUBBED
11-30-2004, 02:26 PM
IMO the 2.0L crossflow is the best motor VW has ever produced. With the right budget you could make it quite a bit faster than a VR6.

I had one with basic bolt-ons that could take a VR6 through the first three gears.

Swapping a VR would take tonnes of work, lots of trimming in the engine compartment I'm told. There are complete write-ups on VWVortex.com.

As far as finding an engine call Montgomery, they usualy have a couple VR6 in stock.

hjr
11-30-2004, 07:36 PM
the 16v was used in european mk3 gti's and the north american 2.0L 16v has lots of potential as well. i keep hearing the crossflow 2.0L 8v has potential, so take that how you will. basically quite a few vw motors seem to work enough with ghetto turbo deals. for strait n/a power, its more difficult, but a 16v usually has an advantage.

Lo)2enz0
12-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Sweet, thanks guys. I called up Montgomery and I am probably going to pick up a 16v 2.0L, they are only asking $2000 for the whole swap. Probably going to pick up a t25 and turbo it as well. Well thanks for the advice guys.

Laurier

maximus
12-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Definately check out vwvortex.com. Tons of people on there and pretty much everything has been done so you can get lots of info and tips. Great place to get facts from the actual owners and installers rather than other peoples opinions.

Is Montgomery doing the install?

Lo)2enz0
12-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Nope,
I am going to do it myself, should only take a couple of weekends to swap in the 2.0L than I just have to get the manifold molded for the turbo and pull the turbo parts all together, should be fun. Kind of pissed I didn’t do my ca18det swap into my 240sx, so I’m making up for it this time.

Laurier

Euro_Trash
12-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Good choice on the 16V, actually almost bought that motor from Montgomery right before I bought my new car. Kind of a cool swap because you can't find any here, so it is very original. Also shouldnt take you 2 weeks, considering it has the same motor mounts and everything, almost will swap right in.

I do, however, disagree with the 2.0L crossflow idea from Dubbed, I think the VR6 is a pretty inovative design, and a turboed/SC'd 2.0L is nothing compared so a turboed/SC'd VR6. The VR6 has much more potential then the 2.0L (which is expected when comparing a 2.0L 4-cyl to a 2.8L 6-cyl)

Lo)2enz0, IM me and let me know if they are selling everything you need for the swap for 2000. If so, I might need to think about going 2.0L 16V G60 (or turbo)

maximus
12-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Ya 16V is a great choice......but I may be a little biased as this is my 3rd one!

I was going to do a turbo on my last 16v but decided not to as people were having problems with them for daily driving. But that was last summer. Definately check out vwvortex....tons of info on the 16V turbo and there's a yahoo group too. Can't remember the name but its just a bunch of guys that were doing or did the 16VT. Very informative and helpful.

Keep us posted on the progress. I would love to see how it turns out. Should be awesome!

:thumbsup:

finboy
12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
t25 sounds a little small, you might want to consider a slightly larger turbo

Lo)2enz0
12-03-2004, 01:04 PM
I am looking forward to starting it soon, I just need to finish getting a few parts together for my sil80 and than the mk3 turbo project will start. Kind of doing it just to have a fun car to drive around because the 240sx is starting to be to much of a pain in the ass to drive daily and my mk4 is just my reliable daily driver now.

I decided to go with the t25 just because it’s a more basic turbo and I am not looking to run more than 7psi on the 2.0L.

I am actually moving away from Nissan, due to the fact that my 240sx has had almost every part replaced on it.