PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting an MR2, pls. enlighten me.

jaylo
11-30-2004, 06:12 PM
I am now considering of purchasing a 90+ Toyota MR2 twin entry turbo. I always wanted one and way way back I almost purchased an N/A one and I ended up getting a Honda Del Sol.

After years of having a 2nd generation integra, my plans were to turbocharge my car but now I decide to consider an MR2. That is if I find one in a good condition.

Do MR2's come with stock LSD? Is the twin turbo 200hp/200tq stock?

Oh yeah I'm also worried about the price of the aftermarket parts for an MR2, are they more expensive than Honda aftermarket parts?

Are MR2's high maintenance and last of all would the insurance be super expensive since it's a sports car?

Thx for ur time.

LLLimit
11-30-2004, 11:43 PM
no stock LSD, not me anyways.
its 'twin entry turbo', not 'twin turbo'.
200hp, 200 ft.lb
i have valve cover gasket, and distributor o-ring leak.
and i dont expect no more problems.

statick
12-01-2004, 12:07 AM
very nice cars:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
12-01-2004, 12:22 AM
LSD was available

Ek9Max
12-01-2004, 01:22 AM
93+ tranny's had them available. Not sure if teh 93+ usdm trannies. but jdm and such were available with lsd's

SPooLiN
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
All 93+ MR2s were available with LSD, not to mention bigger/better brakes, improved suspension (lower height), some exterior treatment (front lip, pained moldings) and larger stock wheels (15"s instead of 14"s).

The price is parts is comparable to Honda or any other vehichle... if you want the good stuff be prepared to spend the money, but in the long run you will probably be better off sticking to the big names to ensure quality and performance. If you cheap out on an MR2 it will definately show.

That being said, there are always good deals to be found on parts if you spend the time to look aound.

EK 2.0
12-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Insurance does sit a lil higher than that of your average sports cars...at least under the old insurance policies...not sure if only have 2 seats has changed that any...

As for maintenance...expect a higher cost than that of running your Honda's...Turbo cars in general do require a lil more up-keep than that of their N/A counterparts...

the SW is a GREAT chassis, to own/drive and build upon...there is lots os upgrading room, and every aspect of the car can be thoroughly massaged/tweak, interior, exterior, major suspension parts are available, motor...

and the biggest up side to an SW...Turbo or N/A...its the ultimate "affordable" panty dropper...

the biggest part in looking for an SW...make sure the woner you are making the purchase from has maintained it well...then you won't have those lil surprises a 10+ year old car may give you...for a great one...check out Nookmums for an example of what to look for...

JAYMEZ
12-01-2004, 11:14 AM
I wouldnt think for such an old car that insurance would be to great. I also just got insured on a two seater two door , but a 93 , and I was suprised by how cheap it was. Good luck on the MR2 , such a sweet car :drool: