PDA

View Full Version : Healthy alcohol?

craigcd
12-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Just wondering if there is any type of alcohol that is better than the next health/fitness wise. Beer is definatly not good. Is there certain hard liqours that are better than others?

:dunno:

1badPT
12-01-2004, 01:45 AM
red wine is lower in carbs than beer and it has anti-oxidants.

Melinda
12-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Apparently a glass of red wine a day can be really good for your heart

benyl
12-01-2004, 08:53 AM
drinking more than a glass of anything per day will be bad for you.

There are studies out there saying one glass of beer a day is ok too.

statick
12-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Apparently a glass of red wine a day can be really good for your heart

:werd: , i heard this aswell

DUBBED
12-01-2004, 10:01 AM
If you're watching your weight, vodka and water my friend. Get some russian in you :thumbsup:

davidI
12-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by DUBBED
If you're watching your weight, vodka and water my friend. Get some russian in you :thumbsup:

Is this more information from that girl at MRC? :confused:

12 oz. can of beer: 146 calories
2.5 oz. shot of rum/vodka/etc. ~100-120 calories

Most of the calories come from the alcohol itself so an 80 proof anything will be about the same.

Really though, counting calories should be the least of your worries while out drinking - alcohol has disastrous effects on your body and they can last up to a week.

Unfortunately, booze is my crux and I haven't made anywhere near the gains I should because of binge drinking.

QuasarCav
12-01-2004, 10:52 AM
2.5oz shot??? You Uni guys are crazy.

Dave P
12-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Isnt bacardi and diet coke like 1 calorie or something?

they had comercials advertising it?

davidI
12-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
2.5oz shot??? You Uni guys are crazy.

http://wine.about.com/cs/winemaking/a/calories.htm

But we are crazy! I think that must be 100ml or something?

Isnt bacardi and diet coke like 1 calorie or something?

Advertising will try to sell you on a lot of things but I don't think it's possible to have calorie free alcohol...

'Alcohol, like all things we consume (except water), contains calories. So when dieters are keeping track of their caloric intake, they can't forget alcoholic beverages. For most drinks, it is the alcohol that contributes to the total calorie content. So a comparison between drinks is easy; the higher the alcohol content, the higher the calorie count. The alcohol content of a beverage can calculated from its percentage alcohol content by volume (% ABV), which is marked on the bottle or container. Beer can have an alcohol content ranging from 0.05 -10%, wine usually is 5-13%, while liquors and liqueurs can be 14-40% alcohol. For drinks such as liqueurs that have lots of sugar in them, it is a combination of the alcohol and the sugar that bumps up their calorie count.

So what to offer? For the beer drinkers there is the choice of lite beer. By making that switch, a party goer can save about 40 calories per bottle. But what about drinks that contain "hard liquor"? Many people think gin is lowest in calories, but it just isn't so. Gin and tonic may have been the drink of choice for colonials, but that was to fight off malaria. Ounce per ounce gin has just as many calories as rum, whisky or tequila providing they all have the same alcohol content'

http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol06/issue4/drinks.htm

1badPT
12-01-2004, 11:46 AM
gin was also used to fight scurvey on ships - it was one of the few ways you could consume a non-perishable vitamin C :thumbsup: And the juniper berries which contributes the vitamin C and the gin flavour also contains flavonoids and anti-oxidants :D

JAYMEZ
12-01-2004, 11:56 AM
^^ isnt it mixed with tonic? and Dont you need scurvey first :rofl:

DUBBED
12-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Is this more information from that girl at MRC? :confused:

12 oz. can of beer: 146 calories
2.5 oz. shot of rum/vodka/etc. ~100-120 calories

No actually I read that on this forum a while ago. I don't actually drink heavily I take my fitness goals a little more seriously than some.

Edit: A normal size vodka and water would be far less calories, for the same amount of alcohol as a beer. If the calculations in my brain are right. :dunno:

davidI
12-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

Edit: A normal size vodka and water would be far less calories, for the same amount of alcohol as a beer. If the calculations in my brain are right. :dunno:

Beer has some carbs in it....but not many. Realistically, calories shouldn't be the concern when drinking because alcohol is the real killer!

DUBBED
12-01-2004, 03:53 PM
True enough.

Tyler883
12-11-2004, 05:29 PM
good god!!! there's nothing wrong with a beer! :)
:D

davidI
12-12-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883
good god!!! there's nothing wrong with a beer! :)
:D

Tooo abdd I had la113- ofr 15 tontie!
woeettet!

Good bauey sexy dave and hell o fat mess

:(

EDM
12-12-2004, 03:29 AM
woo good thead. *takes notes*

davidI
12-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Shit....I didn't know I went drunken beyond surfing last night. Hopefully this is the only post I made :nut:

Tyler883
12-15-2004, 02:38 PM
TV news report last night:

increased risk of heart disease===> not drinking everyday

davidI
12-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
TV news report last night:

increased risk of heart disease===> not drinking everyday

They commonly talk about a glass of red wine a day being good for the heart.

EG STyLeZ
12-15-2004, 10:34 PM
i don't know if any other alcohol is better, but i know beer contains chemicals that form nitrosamines, which are known to cause cancer, when ingested.

chunger_11
12-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by craigcd
Just wondering if there is any type of alcohol that is better than the next health/fitness wise. Beer is definatly not good. Is there certain hard liqours that are better than others?

:dunno:

HAHAHA Craig your an alchohalic, enough said :D

2.0turbo
12-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
gin was also used to fight scurvey on ships - it was one of the few ways you could consume a non-perishable vitamin C :thumbsup: And the juniper berries which contributes the vitamin C and the gin flavour also contains flavonoids and anti-oxidants :D

Ya man, Gin. It is the lowest of calories. I was flicking through the channels and the show the Shopping Bags turned up. They were doing a comparison on Gin. Actually is pretty good for you as far as alchohal goes. Gets you all fucked up too.

craigcd
12-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by chunger_11

HAHAHA Craig your an alchohalic, enough said :D

Fighting an up hill battle against the beer belly YO :rofl: