PDA

View Full Version : air/fuel lean!!!

LUDELVR
06-17-2002, 07:50 PM
k guys, what an be casuing my air fuel gauge (autometer) to be running lean at full throttle? I know it's an indication of not enough fuel, but I'm using an 8:1 fmu, an inline fuel pump and my stock injectors for now. It hits boost as soon as 3200 and the air/fuel gauge reads rich, but once I mash the pedal, the boost climbs and then it goes to lean. I've been told that these gauges are not that accurate, but I really want to know whats going on. Is there any other way besides going to a dyno to see why it's going to lean? Thanks doods.

MrX
06-17-2002, 07:56 PM
Check the ground wire for the gauge. I had bad readings with my gauge because of this. Or it could be just that you're running lean dude:banghead:

max_boost
06-17-2002, 07:57 PM
Is your turbo running man!?!??!?!
Did it work!?!??!:clap:

spyderman
06-17-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Is your turbo running man!?!??!?!
Did it work!?!??!:clap:

Apparently not... j/k :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CRXguy
06-17-2002, 08:03 PM
holy f00k.....can't wait to see it working properly!!:rofl:

2000impreza
06-17-2002, 08:21 PM
you should really consider some real engine management. i've heard lots of stories about blown engines using RRFPR's.

redline
06-17-2002, 08:28 PM
Your fuel pump is not working! Do not boost, do not pass go then give me a call and i will help you!

rage2
06-17-2002, 08:48 PM
If it's showing lean when boost comes in, you need to seriously check your settings ASAP before melting a piston.

max_boost
06-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
holy f00k.....can't wait to see it working properly!!:rofl:

You better do something soon man or else you have no one to race anymore!:dunno:

buh_buh
06-17-2002, 08:57 PM

You better do something soon man or else you have no one to race anymore!:dunno:
there's always me!
But I don't street race.

max_boost
06-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

there's always me!
But I don't street race.

Those tires are going to kill you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep it safe
After you get your Mugen kit/Wheels on, you should be driving slow so people can admire you as you blast your fob music!

Dam your ride is going to look so sweet!!!!

buh_buh
06-17-2002, 09:15 PM

Those tires are going to kill you man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep it safe
After you get your Mugen kit/Wheels on, you should be driving slow so people can admire you as you blast your fob music!

Dam your ride is going to look so sweet!!!!
Yeah, that's why I'm not goign to street race anymore (or at least cut down on it a lot). Those tires are not safe. And I'm not getting rims and kit for awhile, so for now they'll just have to listen to my fob music when the car looks ghetto.

boi-alien
06-17-2002, 09:17 PM

Yeah, that's why I'm not goign to street race anymore (or at least cut down on it a lot). Those tires are not safe. And I'm not getting rims and kit for awhile, so for now they'll just have to listen to my fob music when the car looks ghetto.

do u blast your fob music when you're going down the 1320?!?! :rofl:

turboMiata
06-17-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
k guys, what an be casuing my air fuel gauge (autometer) to be running lean at full throttle? I know it's an indication of not enough fuel, but I'm using an 8:1 fmu, an inline fuel pump and my stock injectors for now. It hits boost as soon as 3200 and the air/fuel gauge reads rich, but once I mash the pedal, the boost climbs and then it goes to lean. I've been told that these gauges are not that accurate, but I really want to know whats going on. Is there any other way besides going to a dyno to see why it's going to lean? Thanks doods.

Dood,

pull out your spark plugs and check. If they are white, you are running lean. There's lots of reason why that could be the case. In the meanwhile, turn the boost down. I'm not familiar with your setup but there could be lots of reasons why that is the case.

Maybe, just maybe, your injectors are at 100% duty cycle and can't supply any more fuel. On my car, I have 440CC RC engineering injectors and my bottleneck is the fuel rail.

I don't want to speculate, but you should get it checked out before you put a hole in your piston.

LUDELVR
06-17-2002, 09:46 PM
well at part throttle, it's full green, but when I hit wot, it goes to red, so I was talking to redline and we're theorizing that it is either the in line fuel pump or the fmu. My injectors should be able to handle the 7 pounds of boost and not be at 100% duty cycle, but when I read the fuel pressure gauge it is only going a little past 50 psi when my boost is at 6-7 psi, and that's when my gauge runs into the red.

B18C
06-17-2002, 11:49 PM
well at part throttle, it's full green, but when I hit wot, it goes to red, so I was talking to redline and we're theorizing that it is either the in line fuel pump or the fmu. My injectors should be able to handle the 7 pounds of boost and not be at 100% duty cycle, but when I read the fuel pressure gauge it is only going a little past 50 psi when my boost is at 6-7 psi, and that's when my gauge runs into the red.

Ummm....with an 8:1 @ 6 psi, you should be running AT LEAST 95-100psi. Hell, when I had my JR FPR (5:1) I had over 100 psi! There is something very wrong with the FMU or fuel pump. I would think that it is the FMU...do you get over 50 psi at part throttle? You aren't leaking fuel anywhere are you?

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by B18C

Ummm....with an 8:1 @ 6 psi, you should be running AT LEAST 95-100psi. Hell, when I had my JR FPR (5:1) I had over 100 psi! There is something very wrong with the FMU or fuel pump. I would think that it is the FMU...do you get over 50 psi at part throttle? You aren't leaking fuel anywhere are you?

Just confirmed...after going to buh_buh's house and coming home, my fuel pressure doesn't move to 50 anymore, it stays close to 37.5 and now I am drawing the conclusion as well that the fmu that I got is defective. I'm pretty sure that the fuel pump is working, but it's hard to tell. I hear it humming and I know it's wired up properly. Oh yah, while drving home, I was in 5th gear on 16th ave ne, and I was playing around with the throttle, when I was at part throttle, it was spooling and my boost gauge went to 5 then 6 and my air fuel gauge stayed green. I downshifted to 4th and tried it and it went straight to red. Any ideas as to what the hell is going on!? thanks for the help guys

Audi Kid
06-18-2002, 01:05 AM
DUDELVR HAS BOOST UH OH

max_boost
06-18-2002, 01:11 AM
I am drawing the conclusion as well that the fmu that I got is defective.
Well have you sent your money to that dude in T.O????!

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 01:13 AM

Well have you sent your money to that dude in T.O????!

That's the btm that I got from the guy in toront and that piece of shit isn't working either!!! The fmu I got from nelson....time to go pay a visit to tunerworks!! haha

shadowz
06-18-2002, 02:52 AM
Whoa watch out for the leaning out, the autometer Air/fuel guage isnt that accurate but not that out of whack, but yes I would try a fuel management system like hondata or sds AEM..... be careful

buh_buh
06-18-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
but yes I would try a fuel management system like hondata or sds AEM..... be careful
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Like Leo would spend the money on a fuel management system.

Davan
06-18-2002, 09:35 AM
Wait a minute... if Leo has got his Home Depot/Wal Mart/Canadian Tire Turbo system working, does this mean we can't make fun of him anymore? ;) :D :D :D

rage2
06-18-2002, 09:43 AM
Check out Leo's new User Title! :thumbsup:

spyderman
06-18-2002, 09:51 AM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Like Leo would spend the money on a fuel management system.

I'm pretty sure he can make one... ;)

Originally posted by rage2

Check out Leo's new User Title!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Check out Leo's new User Title! :thumbsup:

hahahah, That's funny man!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: But yah, I think I've diagnosed my problem. I think it's my fmu cuz my fuel pressure doesn't rise at all anymore, even when I hit 2 psi. Oh well, time for more tinkering!!!

ThreePly
06-18-2002, 10:16 AM
Congrats man....hopefully, you can get everything up and running soon. By the way, nice tag under your name..."Automotive McGuyver". Also, once your turbo's running, I give you a month before you try boosting more than 8. ;) good luck!

Ed the SOHC
06-18-2002, 10:25 AM
Ludelvr said this last night and I thought it was funny:

"Maybe I should put my car back to stock" :rofl:

max_boost
06-18-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

That just made my day:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ThreePly
06-18-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

Been there, done that! Join the darkside Leo.

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ThreePly

Been there, done that! Join the darkside Leo.

I already have man!!! That dark side of boost!!! :eek:

Redlyne_mr2
06-18-2002, 01:24 PM
dude you kept that little project about being a turbo on the downlow, welcome boost brother...let me know if you ever need a hand with anything.

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
dude you kept that little project about being a turbo on the downlow, welcome boost brother...let me know if you ever need a hand with anything.

Yah, I didn't want to be parading it around and then find out that it didn't work. It's so uncool when people say, "oh I'm gonna do this and this and this" and then it never happens. I wanted to make sure that I had everything planned properly. I just need to talk to nelson and replace my fmu cuz it's not working. Oh yah, I also need a new hood!!!!! hahahaha, a slight miscalculation!!!:nut:

Redlyne_mr2
06-18-2002, 04:35 PM
you know I can hook you up with parts and tuning right?

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
you know I can hook you up with parts and tuning right?

That part I didn't know!!! I might need a new fmu, but I will have to see. I bought mine from nelson and it doesn't work, so I'll have to check to see if he'll give me a new one. What kinda parts can u hook me up with? How about a new turbo so I don't have to alter my hood!!! hahahhaa

Redlyne_mr2
06-18-2002, 04:58 PM
what kind of turbo you want, I'm sure I can find one...what were you using for an fmu?
pm me with regards to what you need...

redline
06-18-2002, 06:53 PM
hey ludelvr are you sure the line are hooked up properly on the FMU?

Do you still need help tonite?

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by redline
hey ludelvr are you sure the line are hooked up properly on the FMU?

Do you still need help tonite?

Yah, I'm certain. And yah, I would love some help. It's weird, cuz I took the fmu cover off and that little piston wouldn't move at all. and it's weird, cuz before, I saw the fuel press gauge move before to like 55 or so and now it doesn't. And in first gear, I was able to stay rich the entire time. I don't know, I'll give u a shout. I'm gonna borrow b18c jrsc fmu to see if that does anything.

redline
06-18-2002, 08:11 PM
I was going to say we could take off my 8:1 in a couple of minutes and try that! call me and let me know

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 08:16 PM
I was going to say we could take off my 8:1 in a couple of minutes and try that! call me and let me know

Hey kyle, can u take the top off of the fmu and then see if that center piston can move up and down freely, cuz mine is pretty much stuck.

redline
06-18-2002, 08:22 PM
i am not in the same place as the car right now but that could change. did you just try and call? I was on the phone with a mortgage broker and did not want to pick up the other line sorry!

LUDELVR
06-18-2002, 08:25 PM
i am not in the same place as the car right now but that could change. did you just try and call? I was on the phone with a mortgage broker and did not want to pick up the other line sorry!

Yah, I tried to call! what the fuck is the difference if I'm talking to u on the net or on the phone? Either way, ur not really listening to ur mortgage broker and either way, he's trying to fuck u up the ass and take ur cash!! hahaha. Oh yah, congrats on the house!! I'll make sure the next part I buy from u will be even cheaper than before!! haha

buh_buh
06-19-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by crxboi

do u blast your fob music when you're going down the 1320?!?! :rofl:
of course.
How else do you think I pulled off those times?