PDA

View Full Version : snowboard lessons

pile_0_crap
12-01-2004, 01:33 PM
anyone know a good place to get a few lessons (1-2?). i checked c.o.p. and their hours don't work for me (mornings 9-10am and afternoons 2-3). looking for something in the evenings after work.

civicrider
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
save your money, you can learn just as fast on your own, other the COP youll have to drive out to fortress or something. Wintergreen would have worked but they closed down

pile_0_crap
12-01-2004, 02:21 PM
thanks

hampstor
12-02-2004, 09:33 AM
You could try the discover snowboarding at nakiska. The price usually includes lift for the bronze chair as well as rental. It's not that bad for a beginner/intermediate hill

Tux10
12-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Don't go to nakiska, that bronze chair is horrible for beginners! It slingshots beginners out so fast that they almost always fall and hurt themselves on the ice there.

Quad chairs are much better for beginners as they slow down A LOT at the top and let you get off the chair more at your own pace and the slope of the chair exit is half that of the twins.

If your just trying to learn on your own, look for a green trail on a Quad chair lift and go to those ones, it may scare you a bit to go up so high on the mountain, but the slopes are generally pretty gental, less crowded, the lifts are easier to get off, and you get to spend more time learning to board then lining up with all the other noobs to ride the chair up.

I learned on the strawberry at sunshine and boy did that suck now that I look back at it! I fell almost everytime I tried to get off the lift, the line up were long, the run was UBER crowded that I was afraid I would deck someone everytime I tried to do my big noob carves and the run was so narrow that I would have people flying inches away from me.

A_3
12-02-2004, 01:48 PM
COP for sure, the lessons don't really do that much. Pretty much teach you to stop and stand on an edge, other then that's it's up to you figuring it up. The way I learned which has seemed to work for others is learning to stop on both your front and backside edges because as you gain more confidence you'll be able to link those together and eventually turn. Grab a friend who knows how to ride and ask him to show you the reigns. Good luck, it's a great sport.

Primer_Drift
12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Tux10

I learned on the strawberry at sunshine and boy did that suck now that I look back at it! I fell almost everytime I tried to get off the lift

:rofl: :werd: Everyone gets launched off that lift.. and then the operator either laughs or yells at you.

COP:thumbsdow
Go to an actual hill, where you can take an hour to get down a run. But go with a GOOD teacher, or a hill instructor. It takes a lot of know how to teach snowboarding well. I learned snowboarding on my own (after trying it at COP), when I went along with some family and friends.. who were all skiing.. and was left to fend for myself. I took whats now called Angel Express Quad.. upped the learning curve a bit. :D

hampstor
12-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Tux10
Don't go to nakiska, that bronze chair is horrible for beginners! It slingshots beginners out so fast that they almost always fall and hurt themselves on the ice there.

heh then again EVERY lift to a beginner will be like a slingshot :)

but you're right, i appologize. I haven't been to nakiska for a year and i do remember that the bronze chair is actually one of the harder lifts to get off.

Luke 96 T/A
12-06-2004, 07:21 PM
COP is great for learning..
It's cheap, easy, and close.. Why waste money on big hills, plus the time it takes to get there, when you can't do crap :)

If you don't want lessons, take a buddy to COP, and have 'em quickly give you the tips..
spend 5 hours at COP, then go somewhere good :)

COP did have evening lessons last year.. they might again in Jan??

Tux10
12-06-2004, 11:44 PM
I must admit, COP is the best alternative for the cheap and lazy cause it really is a good price and an easy hill thats real close. But a lot of my friends that went to COP to learn all went on a warm day and the hill became ice so not only did they find it hard to carve and learn on ice but they also hated snowboarding after the first day because it hurt so fuking much hitting ice.

Never tried the lifts at COP and I doubt I ever will so I can't comment on the ease of getting off of them, but I must say, on good days COP is over crowded and is horrible for beginners cause I can see someone getting hit...