PDA

View Full Version : New Restaurant in Calgary

girlRACER
12-05-2002, 01:41 PM
For those of you who like Malaysian cuisine, they've opened a new TROPIKA in Calgary. Seems like every Asian I know who drives down to Edmonton always goes to that restaurant and now we have our own. Today is the Grand Opening but it has opened for three pre-days and all items were 30% off. I went there for lunch yesterday. It was okay, maybe a little overrated but maybe I just didn't try the good stuff.

It's in that Madison Plaza on Centre Street across from Lambda Supermarket and Sun Chiu Kee. Anyone else been to it or the one in Edmonton?

Superesc
12-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Nice my parent's been waiting for it to open for a while!!

boi-alien
12-05-2002, 02:09 PM
awwww shiet!!! the one in edmonton is so dope!! i hope this one is too!

Impreza
12-05-2002, 02:20 PM
ya...i LOVE the one in edmonton...
girlRacer...i saw ur car there yesterday when u were having lunch...

GTS Jeff
12-05-2002, 02:49 PM
the one in etown is awesome! i hope this one is as good

Ben
12-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Horray, I went to the One in Etown with Jeff TYPE Loser and RiceFlake, not too bad at all!

Stratus_Power
12-05-2002, 03:26 PM
shit its like a tourist attraction in Edmonton.. everytime i went up there i HAVE TO go there.. but every since i started living in edmonton i only been ther eonce..

M68KACIA
12-05-2002, 03:38 PM
Do they have Nasi Lamak? Mee Goreng, or Ba Ku T'eh?

I better go check it out.....check their menu, because I miss those food for such a long time...can't wait to see how authentic it is....

girlRACER
12-05-2002, 06:15 PM
Yes, they have those items. I took home a menu. hehe...my birthday dinner is going to be there next week.

szw
12-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Mmm haven't had ba ku t'eh in while

CRXguy
12-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

I was hooked after dining at the one in Edmonton.

buh_buh
12-05-2002, 06:29 PM
I heard that new place right beside Smuggler's Inn is pretty good. Its called Open Sesame.

Stratus_Power
12-05-2002, 06:37 PM
smuggler's inn itself is SOOOOO goood!! Open Sesame is not so much as new, i think its been there for at least if not over a year now.. never tried it tough.. put it side by side with smuggler's Inn i would go for the steaks!

girlRACER
12-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Open Sesame is an Asian Fusion place and anything Asian Fusion to orientals is gross because they know that these weren't meant to be cooked together in the first place.

At Open Sesame they have something called a 'market cart' where you go to this fresh 'buffet' table and place whatever raw vegetables you please in this bowl. Then you choose what mixture of sauces you'd like and pour it on top of your raw vegetables. After everything is done, you bring it to the kitchen where a chef cooks it on an open flame in front of you. You tell them what kind of meat you want and they stirfry it all in one bowl. So what you get is this soggy or perhaps tasteless bowl of mixed stirfried vegetables with raw-hide chewy meat and noodles...and then you can't say it was their fault since you chose all the sauces and stuff.

Si_FlyGuy
12-05-2002, 07:29 PM
That sounds like the mongolian place on 4th street or so.
\

Originally posted by girlRACER

At Open Sesame they have something called a 'market cart' where you go to this fresh 'buffet' table and place whatever raw vegetables you please in this bowl. Then you choose what mixture of sauces you'd like and pour it on top of your raw vegetables. After everything is done, you bring it to the kitchen where a chef cooks it on an open flame in front of you. You tell them what kind of meat you want and they stirfry it all in one bowl. So what you get is this soggy or perhaps tasteless bowl of mixed stirfried vegetables with raw-hide chewy meat and noodles...and then you can't say it was their fault since you chose all the sauces and stuff.

CRXguy
12-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I heard that new place right beside Smuggler's Inn is pretty good. Its called Open Sesame.

That place is a fucking rip off. That's the first and last time I'll ever go there.:thumbsdow

Max Boost Food Inc. is a whole lot better. And no, he didn't pay me to say that.:D

Mongolian Grill is pretty good.

speedracer
12-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Hmm I better try out TROPIKA (while I'm still close - like blocks away) before I move to boony land in the north.

Open Sesame does sound a lot like Mongolia Grill.
Asian Fusion - what a cute word.... :rofl:

Si_FlyGuy
12-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Is there really a Max Boost Food Inc???

szw
12-05-2002, 08:10 PM
Man I hate those mongie grille type places! If I wanted to take a bunch of ingrediants and just simply cook/heat it, I could do that myself!

RSeXy
12-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by HokusFokus
Is there really a Max Boost Food Inc???

haha..no..its the restaurant that Max_Boost works at. :D

RSeXy
12-05-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by szw
Man I hate those mongie grille type places! If I wanted to take a bunch of ingrediants and just simply cook/heat it, I could do that myself!

yeah..mongolie grill?! i went there once in HS...its such a rip off too! they have the pigs of the year wall where they post pictures of ppl who have like $50 + dollars of food on their plates.

LaughingTiger
12-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
Yes, they have those items. I took home a menu. hehe...my birthday dinner is going to be there next week.

I can't believe you didn't invite me to your B-Day yet......:(

Impreza
12-06-2002, 12:08 AM
where is max_boost's restaurant?? i wanna try it out!

RSeXy
12-06-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
where is max_boost's restaurant?? i wanna try it out!

it is glenmore and uhm..yeah i can't remember...its in riverbend.

szw
12-06-2002, 12:36 AM
Riverbend, glenmore and 18st SE

RSeXy
12-06-2002, 12:52 AM
^^

i should've known that! haha...Sam is gonna kill me. oh well, he understands how horrible i am with street names...i just know to turn right on from glenmore east..and then you see it.

Impreza
12-06-2002, 01:03 AM
whats it called?

RSeXy
12-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Peking Peking!

i suggested Peking Sam's awhile ago..that was frowned upon..haha...i thought it was funny.

4wheeldrift
12-06-2002, 07:50 AM
Where's tropika? would be interested in giving it a try.

kenny
12-06-2002, 07:53 AM
Tropika is expanding and taking over haha, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary... they need to open one in South Calgary now =)

buh_buh
12-06-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Where's tropika? would be interested in giving it a try.
Center street and 15th ave or 14th ave NE

Fuji
12-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Tropika wasn;t as good as the ones in E-town or Van city.... You guys should wait a bit untill the cook becomes more adept to the menu. I was there last night and I wasn't really impressed by the dishes, but hey it's new they may need time.

max_boost
12-06-2002, 03:07 PM
MaxBoost Food Inc. can do anything all these other Asian restaurants can do except sushi haha

We cater to 99.9% caucasian folks so most of the items on the menu/buffet is westernized chinese food but that doesn't mean we can't cook lobsters and do up our ethnic cuisine.....all you have to do is just ask:D

kenny
12-06-2002, 03:27 PM
BRING ON the coconut rice, malaysian style sam! haha

RSeXy
12-06-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
MaxBoost Food Inc. can do anything all these other Asian restaurants can do except sushi haha

We cater to 99.9% caucasian folks so most of the items on the menu/buffet is westernized chinese food but that doesn't mean we can't cook lobsters and do up our ethnic cuisine.....all you have to do is just ask:D

i create my own dishes at MaxBoost Food Inc....but they weren't so good. i guess all my favorite sauces don't really taste as good when mixed all together. :(

i want to try out this tropika place. i had coconut rice the other nite...took some getting used to...but yummy all the same! thai food is yummy! :drool:

girlRACER
12-06-2002, 09:30 PM
MaxBoost Food Inc. Rocks!! :thumbsup:

RiceCake
12-07-2002, 09:50 PM
Tried Tropika today and it wasn't bad although I must admit the one in E-town tastes better.

I think there's a even better Malaysian place in Vancouver called the Bamboo soemthing.... damnit... can't remember the name...

Damn its been a while since I ate at Max Boost Food Inc. :)

GTS Jeff
12-07-2002, 10:33 PM
bamboo palace?

spyderman
12-07-2002, 11:22 PM
I'll be going to the new Malaysian restaurant with my parents tomorrow! Never had malay food before, it'll be a good experience.

this is mb

speedracer
12-08-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake

I think there's a even better Malaysian place in Vancouver called the Bamboo soemthing.... damnit... can't remember the name...

Is it by Richmond behind "Gateway Computers" (also across from a mall).

RiceCake
12-08-2002, 11:58 AM
Yeah I think its bamboo palace :thumbsup:

max_boost
12-08-2002, 03:43 PM
I just got back from Tropika, it was packed! But the food was pretty good, I like it