PDA

View Full Version : Car Won't Start. Need opinion.

INeedBoost
12-01-2004, 07:04 PM
I tried starting her up a few days ago but it didn't even crank. I thought it was the battery so I tried boosting it. All that did was make a clicking noise.

Just wanted to make sure that it was my starter before I go out and buy one. Anyone have any ideas on other things I could check?

Thanks.

mazda_maniac
12-01-2004, 07:34 PM
If it's not the battery, and the battery is in good condition. Then it is the starter, especially if its making the tell-tale click as the keys turned

rayoun
12-01-2004, 08:29 PM
make sure that the battery has both the negative and possitive connected to the each other, don't just ground the terminal with the body, and let the battery connect up to yours for a minute before you turn it over. It may help.

INeedBoost
12-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the tip. But boosting it didn't help so I bought a used starter and replaced the old one. The car still won't start. this time I don't get the clicking noise. Instead every electrical component of the car just shuts off and I hear weird buzzing noises. Any ideas?

digitalshogun
12-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Grounding out somewhere? Not sure. Where you doing anything to the car before the problem? Or was it a woke up one morning and there I cant start it?

INeedBoost
12-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by digitalshogun
Grounding out somewhere? Not sure. Where you doing anything to the car before the problem? Or was it a woke up one morning and there I cant start it?

Could be the ground. I had to cut the ground wire off my starter and then I sort of connected it to the ground on the new starter. One thing that bugged me, but I can't really do anything about, is that the 2 wires are different metals. Could this cause a problem?

The only other thing I can think of is the relay.

Thanks for the help by the way.

turbo'dGSR
12-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Have you just tried boosting the battery off another car? this happened to me and boosting didnt help so i borrowed a battery charger let it go overnight then the car started. try that..:dunno:

INeedBoost
12-17-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by turbo'dGSR
Have you just tried boosting the battery off another car? this happened to me and boosting didnt help so i borrowed a battery charger let it go overnight then the car started. try that..:dunno:

Yeah, I tried charging the batter too, but that didn't work :(

I've given up. It's push starting and driving it to the Nissan dealership tomorrow.

andisuperdad
12-20-2004, 11:32 PM
sounds like a bad connection check all your cables from ground to the starter, dont forget to check the wire is clamped tight at all the connections not just the bolts

INeedBoost
12-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Got it to start. Not sure how but after we push started the car we thought we'd try and start it by itself again and it worked. Thanks for your help everyone.