PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to use cell phones while driving?

ninjak84
12-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Is this crap actually going to be a law?
This ticket idea, plus the one for leaving your car to warm up, sound retarded.

Does anyone know anything about them?

Si_FlyGuy
12-05-2002, 07:23 PM
Leaving your car to warm up??? That means remote starters are illegal then?

CLiVE
12-05-2002, 07:30 PM
yes, it would be an idling law I believe??

Also so much for turbo timers I guess....??

Zephyr
12-05-2002, 07:41 PM
driving while talking on the cell is banned in the states.... too many accidents... drivers forget to focus on the road..

T5_X
12-05-2002, 07:49 PM
I can't wait to see some of these assholes getting tickets for talking on the cell phone while driving. If its that important, get a fucking hands free device.

Si_FlyGuy
12-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
I can't wait to see some of these assholes getting tickets for talking on the cell phone while driving. If its that important, get a fucking hands free device.

:werd: I don't mind the handsfree....but I've been cut off too many times by guys not shoulder checking while talking on the phone. This stupid girl I used to work with used to brag how she could eat, smoke, talk on the cell phone, and shift gears at the same time.

lammer
12-05-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

This ticket idea, plus the one for leaving your car to warm up, sound retarded.

that is one stupid law man..

HRD2PLZ
12-05-2002, 08:46 PM
When I'm driving and need to use the phone, I use my hands free. Still waiting for them to bring out a hardwired hands free kit for my phone though...

And I think that idle law is :bullshit: I let my car warm up for 10 minutes before leaving work when its cold :dunno:

szw
12-05-2002, 08:55 PM
I kinda like the warm-up law. Haven't heard about it here, but its a good idea I think. I believe they have this law in many european countries..

I usually let the car warm up for about 40 seconds, then start driving. That gives it enough time to recirculate oil, then driving it slowly helps bring the operating temperature up quicker than idling. Also it saves on gas and pollutants.

Of course when its really cold out, I warm up a bit more. Actually, I usually just warm-up while I am scraping the windows. That works since when its colder, i'm scraping more usually...

It is however, damn cold for the first 5 minutes of my drive. I don't mind it though, it wakes me up!

It would suck for anyone who bought a remote car starter.

And what are cops going to do? They leave their engines on like 24 hours a day haha

RickDaTuner
12-05-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by szw

It would suck for anyone who bought a remote car starter.

And what are cops going to do? They leave their engines on like 24 hours a day haha :werd:

il like to see them nust you anyway to many cars to patroll and it would be such a waste of time for them, im sure they have more important things to do, sometimes you need to let your car idle, like after the battery died and it needs to be Recharged

szw
12-05-2002, 10:20 PM
Well it'll make reacing a monthly quota a lot easier. I guess it would take some of the heat of speeders at the end of the month. haha

kenny
12-05-2002, 10:59 PM
The proposed idling law is only for excessive idling. You are not going to get ticketed if you idle for a couple minutes. I think its a law that makes sense to reduce air pollution. If your car really needs to idle for that long to warm up, try plugging it in for an hour before you leave in the morning or place a piece of cardboard behind your front grill to keep the cold air out when you first start driving.

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
:werd:

il like to see them nust you anyway to many cars to patroll and it would be such a waste of time for them, im sure they have more important things to do, sometimes you need to let your car idle, like after the battery died and it needs to be Recharged

It said in the Herald article they are only going to enforce that bylaw on a per complaint basis. They aren't going to actively go around ticketing people.

Stratus_Power
12-05-2002, 11:06 PM
so lets hope your next doors aint assholes

RickDaTuner
12-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
so lets hope your next doors aint assholes no chance of that happening in my White neighborhood im the only latino in a 10 block radius, the rest of em are NAzi's :dunno:

MerfBall
12-06-2002, 09:54 AM
The talking on the cell phone is a damn good idea. People cannot talk and drive as far as i can tell. As soon as their on the phone the driving skills drop into the negatives.

The idling law is completely for the reduction of pollution. There's alot of new technology out in cars to reduce pollution.

Besides why would u want to leave ur engine idling for excessive periods. It burns more fuel than to stop/start the engine and your car doesnt actually warm up until you start driving.

SI-vic
12-07-2002, 05:21 PM

Thats not the point.
The point is, people dont concentrate enough on the road enough while talking on the cell phone... talking on the cell phone distracts them too much.

T5_X
12-07-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by SI-vic

Thats not the point.
The point is, people dont concentrate enough on the road enough while talking on the cell phone... talking on the cell phone distracts them too much.

Talking on a handsfree device is not much more distracting than having a conversation with a passenger.

Ever try to drive standard while holding a cell phone?

SI-vic
12-07-2002, 07:16 PM

Talking on a handsfree device is not much more distracting than having a conversation with a passenger.

Ever try to drive standard while holding a cell phone?

You got a good point. I have no more arguements....

szw
12-07-2002, 09:27 PM
I can talk and drive standard at the same time easily. However I do miss out parts of the conversation, but whatever, driving is more important. haha, thats why I don't own a cell phone anymore either. I hate being called when I"m driving and having to fish out the phone.

GTS Jeff
12-07-2002, 10:31 PM

Ever try to drive standard while holding a cell phone? so true.

heh it sucks if im holding a cell phone, turning, and shifting at the same time...