PDA

View Full Version : 2006 WRX STI Questions...

teknicalz02
12-03-2004, 12:37 PM
hey, do you guys have any pics of the 2006 wrx sti? I heard that they are changing the front end and putting in a H6 motor. It should have about 350hp.... is this true? I am planning on getting the 05 but if all the specs about the 06 is true, I think its worth the wait... what you guys think?

When will the 06 be released???

awd
12-03-2004, 12:57 PM
This was told to a NASIOC user by a SOA tech:

STi, well as some of you know the new H6 engine has AVVT(i belive that is what its called), well the H6 has a better system in it then the STi. The STi's valve timing only effects the Degree of the cam(10 degrees). but on the H6 it also affects the Lift of the cam as well. He said that it looks like the 2006 STi might be getting the Cam lift put in as well...i also asked him about putting the valve timing on the Exaust cam, and he said that due to the Emmissions Standards ill most likely never happened.

WRX, will get the 2.5 liter, he said that is so that the car is more drivable, and to get the low end power that the 2.0 lacks, im not sure if the boost is going to stay the same or not, but if the boost stays the same....the HP ratings will be around 250.

buh_buh
12-03-2004, 01:35 PM
:barf: :barf: :barf:

http://www.woocha.com/photos/users/jmillward/photos/sti_comments.jpg

QuasarCav
12-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Looks like an alfa romeo gone wrong IMO.

awd
12-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Purely speculation, the Japanese media has a reputation of dreaming up what models will look like.

Here is what they thought 2002 Impreza was supposed to look like: (although, I really like it :D)

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/post-44-1097019648.jpg

teknicalz02
12-03-2004, 02:01 PM
if the 06 will look like that, then i guess imma stick with the 05... even though the 06 might have 355 hp, it looks like a corolla or a mazda 6. the rear lights look ugly. maybe a cai, exhaust, headers can add 20+ hp. what do you guys think I should do? I am planning to get a sti in jan 06.

JAYMEZ
12-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Looks fake, best bet is call up Subaru.

awd
12-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Looks fake, best bet is call up Subaru.

haha -- I was at SOC yesterday getting my power window fixed and I asked Paul, his response, "Your guess is as good as mine -- they tell us nothing."

googe
12-03-2004, 03:45 PM
so ugly

JAYMEZ
12-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Ive seen so many different pictures , all that crap is just rumors , we have to see what Subaru releases to know for sure.

benyl
12-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by teknicalz02
if the 06 will look like that, then i guess imma stick with the 05... even though the 06 might have 355 hp, it looks like a corolla or a mazda 6. the rear lights look ugly. maybe a cai, exhaust, headers can add 20+ hp. what do you guys think I should do? I am planning to get a sti in jan 06.

go to the following sites:

http://www.imprezaWRXSTI.COM
http://www.nasioc.com

When modding an STi (I wouldn't know), on those sites, the overwhelming response is always get Engine Management first.

You can get those 20hp with more agressive tunning than what comes from the factory.

Intake doesn't do much for the STi. Don't waste you money. If you are Stage 3 or higher, that is when you should get a CAI.

If you go full headers and exhaust, I would get engine management as you will be running a lot leaner than stock. If you add the CAI, even leaner. If you don't know what I am talking about, you better read at those site I mentioned before you blow up your new car.

teknicalz02
12-04-2004, 10:58 AM
What do you mean? I shouldnt add exhaust and headers? is it possible for me to uprade the turbo to a stage 2 with the stock kit? thanks

teknicalz02
12-04-2004, 11:05 AM
What exactly do you mean when you say leaner than stock. I see the term lean all the time... is that bad or good?

benyl
12-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Meaning the air fuel mixture doesn't have enough fuel. This makes the engine run hotter. Yes, you get more power, but you also get reduce engine life. If you run too lean, you can blow shit up.

too lean = bad.

What I am saying is, get engine management before you do anything to your STi. With engine management, you can control the fuel and timing so you don't run lean when you add exhaust etc...

teknicalz02
12-04-2004, 11:20 AM
okay, because I am planning on only spending about 2,000 for engine mods... what do you think I should to witht he 2,000?
Can you include the engine management stuff. sorry I am new to turbo and stuff. thanks

awd
12-04-2004, 12:39 PM
okay, because I am planning on only spending about 2,000 for engine mods... what do you think I should to witht he 2,000?
Can you include the engine management stuff. sorry I am new to turbo and stuff. thanks

For ~2K I would go COBB Tuning Stage II -- AccessPORT and Turboback Exhaust.

That would give you an extra ~40whp and an extra ~70lb/ft torque.

Check www.cobbtuning.com for more info.

Cobb is only one option -- there are a few reputable tuners offering great power packages for subarus.

I am planning to go Cobb Stage II with my WRX this spring, but if I had an STi I would most likely be happy with stock :D

benyl
12-04-2004, 12:42 PM
I would suggest TurboXS Utec.

http://www.tuboxs.com

but I am happy stock... you probably will be too.

teknicalz02
12-04-2004, 01:39 PM
I will get an 05 because I am waiting for the prices to go down, because the 06 will come soon. I am planning on getting the K&N typhoon now because I see a lot of reviews about it. What should I get for a cat back exhaust??? I'm thinking of APEXI or HKS... what do you guys think?

PS: will this intake and exhaust make my car leaner?

JAYMEZ
12-04-2004, 01:59 PM
With modding an STi , Get a Godspeed Downpipe , excellent peice. Then get the UTEC , new Air Intake ( Blitz , HKS) Uppipe mods suck on an STi , so it doesnt need changing for a while.

googe
12-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl

go to the following sites:

http://www.imprezaWRXSTI.COM
http://www.nasioc.com

When modding an STi (I wouldn't know), on those sites, the overwhelming response is always get Engine Management first.

You can get those 20hp with more agressive tunning than what comes from the factory.

Intake doesn't do much for the STi. Don't waste you money. If you are Stage 3 or higher, that is when you should get a CAI.

If you go full headers and exhaust, I would get engine management as you will be running a lot leaner than stock. If you add the CAI, even leaner. If you don't know what I am talking about, you better read at those site I mentioned before you blow up your new car.

BS :tongue: Where did you hear that? Most people do exhaust mods (downpipe) way before engine management on the forums, there hasnt been a problem yet. Theres no reason why it has to lean out the car.

As well, several people showed gains of 12whp or higher just for an intake, and since theyre so cheap thats pretty good bang for buck even on a stock one if you ask me.

TurboXS for one recommends intake and TBE for their stage 1 utec.

Sure EM is great but its definitely not required for minor things such as intake/exhaust, and there are huge gains to be had (a lot more than 20hp) from doing all that.

benyl
12-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Personal experience shows that just a dp leans the car out.

A stock STi in Calgary runs 9.5 AFR at WOT in the upper RPM ranges. With a catless dp, it runs 10.0 - 10.2. I have seen this measured by someone I know.

With an intake, you further lean things out as your can move more air.

The STi does run very rich from the factory. My tailpipe always has black unburnt fuel all over it. That being said, I am sure that it doesn't lean things out to the point of detrimental to the car, but without EM or a wide band, how do you know?

The safe route is with EM first.

But it is your car and your money, just making a suggestion.

googe
12-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Personal experience shows that just a dp leans the car out.

A stock STi in Calgary runs 9.5 AFR at WOT in the upper RPM ranges. With a catless dp, it runs 10.0 - 10.2. I have seen this measured by someone I know.

With an intake, you further lean things out as your can move more air.

The STi does run very rich from the factory. My tailpipe always has black unburnt fuel all over it. That being said, I am sure that it doesn't lean things out to the point of detrimental to the car, but without EM or a wide band, how do you know?

The safe route is with EM first.

But it is your car and your money, just making a suggestion.

Fair enough. 10.0 is still far from dangerous though. Ah well, got 30k on mine and been running headerback for most of that, guess I'll be the guinea pig ;)

I dont see why it would, but I guess the numbers speak for themselves. More air doesnt mean leaner if your sensors are calibrated correctly.

That.Guy.S30
12-05-2004, 12:31 AM
I will get an 05 because I am waiting for the prices to go down, because the 06 will come soon. I am planning on getting the K&N typhoon now because I see a lot of reviews about it. What should I get for a cat back exhaust??? I'm thinking of APEXI or HKS... what do you guys think?

PS: will this intake and exhaust make my car leaner?

um you might want to do some research on f/i cars before you buy one and mod it.

benyl
12-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by googe

Fair enough. 10.0 is still far from dangerous though. Ah well, got 30k on mine and been running headerback for most of that, guess I'll be the guinea pig ;)

I dont see why it would, but I guess the numbers speak for themselves. More air doesnt mean leaner if your sensors are calibrated correctly.

Think of how altitude affects your car. Why would you make more horsepower and have a better quater mile at lower elevations? More air. Why do most, if not all cars run richer at our elevation? Less air.

googe
12-05-2004, 07:54 AM

Think of how altitude affects your car. Why would you make more horsepower and have a better quater mile at lower elevations? More air. Why do most, if not all cars run richer at our elevation? Less air.

Well yeah, of course, but more air doesnt mean leaner. More air only means leaner if its not matched with more fuel, which in theory it should be in a properly calibrated system. Thats why the MAF is there.

nrusso14
01-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Please take some time to research the STi before doing another thing. Putting any aftermarket intake on this car is NOT GOOD AT ALL especially when the car is stock. Also, you don't mod this car like you do a honda. "I'll just install I/H/E and have 50 more horsepower." please please please please research mods for this car before doing anything more.

googe
01-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by nrusso14
Please take some time to research the STi before doing another thing. Putting any aftermarket intake on this car is NOT GOOD AT ALL especially when the car is stock. Also, you don't mod this car like you do a honda. "I'll just install I/H/E and have 50 more horsepower." please please please please research mods for this car before doing anything more.

Sounds like you need to do some research ;)

BTW, this post is months old.

RickDaTuner
01-23-2005, 08:51 AM
the new desing for the Impreza is schedualed for 2006 in Japan so that means we wont be getting the new body style until mabey 07-08

so for 2006 we will still be getting the current body style..

benyl
01-23-2005, 11:21 AM
The 2006 body style will be here in May... so just wait until then.

nrusso14
01-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by googe

Sounds like you need to do some research ;)

BTW, this post is months old.

:eek: I need to do some research?!? installing a cold air intake and blow off valve are the worst things you can do to a turbo charged impreza...... :rolleyes:

benyl
01-25-2005, 02:38 PM
They are not the worst things... let's not exagerate here.

A CAI doesn't help any. Does not hinder though. The stock ECU cannot handle a BOV that vents more than 50% to the atmosphere, but aftermarket ECUs can.

googe
01-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Well no one said anything about a BOV, you were talking about I/H/E...of course a BOV is no good on a mass-air car. It wont really hurt it though, youll run rich and waste power so there is no good reason to do it.

As for intakes, every dyno Ive seen shows 10-15 at the wheels.

There are definitely good gains to be had from exhaust mods, especially the restrictive downpipe.

heavyD
01-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by awd
Purely speculation, the Japanese media has a reputation of dreaming up what models will look like.

Here is what they thought 2002 Impreza was supposed to look like: (although, I really like it :D)

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/post-44-1097019648.jpg

Maybe the Japanese media should start designing for Subaru because the last few versions of the Imprezza look like a train wreck. If you look at some of Subaru's designs over the last 20 years they range from just okay (SVX) to weird (XT) to plain hideous (bug eyed WRX). I think it's time to scrap the design team and start over.

BTW: I have seen the latest pics of the new Imprezza design and it looks like they ripped off the Peugot front end and actually managed to make it uglier.:thumbsdow

Fuji
01-25-2005, 04:46 PM
^^ that is why the GC8 Rules! (98-01)

CRXguy
01-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
^^ that is why the GC8 Rules! (98-01)

Pffft! :guns: :rofl:

Fuji
01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

Pffft! :guns: :rofl: