PDA

View Full Version : exhaust ticket errrr

streetdreams
12-04-2004, 02:30 AM
just got an exshust tickit for 115 bucks.he said it was pruduceing excesive nosie.which i am really kinda pissed about since i was in 4th gear at ideal makin a hum if that.and i drove by 4 police cars erlier that day and not one thing happend my exhust has been on there for at least 4 mounths.the lip is just under 3 inch and my exust had cat and every thing the whole way back i dont see how this chould be conisderd load i have heard much worse.

is there any thing i can do?

kyle

MenteL
12-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Take it to english court!

Fusion
12-04-2004, 02:38 AM
same here too . I have magnaflow its deep and quiet still have a ticket for 115..but paid it already

BigBearWest
12-04-2004, 02:40 AM
the ticket can't be for noise unless he pulled out a noise meter. as for your exhaust the tip is bigger then stock so that is a ticket. don't bother fighting it you won't win. i have had 2 in less then a year and both times they didn't even reduce

streetdreams
12-04-2004, 02:44 AM
well thanks for the help and i know i am not the best speller so lay off

kyle

hockeybronx
12-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by BigBearWest
as for your exhaust the tip is bigger then stock so that is a ticket

Hey Playa...

Where did you get that info from? I really doubt the COP is going to see that the tip is bigger, and then think to himself in his head what the normal size tip for that car would be, and then decide to give you a ticket.

In my opinion you have to be doing something stupid to get an exhaust ticket. I have no resinator and my exhaust is quite deep and loud, and I have had three different officers walk around my car and never say anything about my exhaust.

I'd say 'Streetdreams' revved his car too high and the COP heard it. Then it's your own fault.

import_illusion
12-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by BigBearWest
as for your exhaust the tip is bigger then stock so that is a ticket.

i thought your exhaust tip was allowed to be 4 inches maximum

illeagle
12-04-2004, 06:11 PM
some cop followed me for 10 min down Mcleod, and it was obvious the passenger cop was trying to listen to my exhaust. I have a huge Apex'i N1 with silencer, no ticket for me..shifting at 3,500 (weak ass motor) Yours must be loud.... I wonder if the SRT-4 guys get tickets??:dunno:

Aleks
12-04-2004, 06:23 PM
The law says if the exhaust in enlarged in any ways it's illegal. Most cops don't care. If you want to avoid tix for sure leave it stock. Also there are performace mufflers out there with 2.5" tips that look stock!

b16Ateg
12-04-2004, 06:28 PM
i got one.. you mine aswell pay it i tryed to fight it but it doesn't always work it depends on the guys mood.. i just learn to shift at 3 when cops are around cos when i hit 4 vtec kicks in and thats alot louder i would just say try and fight it but good luck..

403Gemini
12-04-2004, 06:28 PM
get rid of the fart can

thats my advice

hockeybronx
12-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
The law says if the exhaust in enlarged in any ways it's illegal.

Hey Playa...

Can you get any credibility behind this? I'm not doubting you, I just want to see some proof for my own knowledge.

CelicaST-162
12-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Quit skipping english class:rolleyes:

403Gemini
12-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Hey Playa...

Can you get any credibility behind this? I'm not doubting you, I just want to see some proof for my own knowledge.

Hey Jesus,

its a fact, ask a cop

Aleks
12-04-2004, 07:16 PM

Hey Playa...

The official words from the HTA : Highway Traffic Act! Take a look at 46(4)

Mufflers
46(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise and without the emission of any flame or sparks.

46(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.

46(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed a baffle-plate or other part.

46(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

46(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

46(6) This section does not apply to a school bus having a capacity of 24 or more passengers.

Toms-SC
12-04-2004, 07:16 PM
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP 392-47-32947832-94832948328047329846329746932764239746 TIMES! DO A SEARCH NOOB! THANKS!

tsi_neal
12-04-2004, 07:47 PM

Mufflers
46(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise and without the emission of any flame or sparks.

46(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.

46(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed a baffle-plate or other part.

46(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

46(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

46(6) This section does not apply to a school bus having a capacity of 24 or more passengers.

There is NOTHING in there that says a bigger exhaust pipe is illeagle. part 5 basically means that if i modify my stock muffler its illeagle, but if i go to the shop and buy a muffler with a bigger outlet than stock and put it in then its fine.
Personal thoughts on fart pipes aside (yes the apexi N1 is through and though fart pipe trash) as long as you dont modify whatever muffler you choose in any way and the overall noise output is "reasonable" then its legal. And that reasonable bit gives the cops leeway... if your an ass on the roads and they want a reason to pull you over well thats gonna be it.

Toms-SC
12-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

There is NOTHING in there that says a bigger exhaust pipe is illeagle.

I don't know man, I was thinking maybe this line had something to do with it.

'46(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, *the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.*'

Maybe its just me or something

Aleks
12-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

'46(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, *the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.*'

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tsi_neal
12-04-2004, 07:57 PM

Depends how you read it, i read it as taking the stock muffler and making the outlet bigger. where as if stock is 2" and o go to a shop and ask for a full 3" exhaust with a muffer to match then im not "opening or widening" my muffler im just replacing it with a different part.

Its how i read it, but i think the reality of the law is that its a reason for a cop to pull you over.

ninspeed
12-04-2004, 08:24 PM
every law can be read more than one way... thats why we have lawyers

hockeybronx
12-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Hey Jesus,

its a fact, ask a cop

Hey Playa...

The above is an example of a USELESS post.

Mufflers

Hey Playa...

The above is an example of a USEFUL post.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP 392-47-32947832-94832948328047329846329746932764239746 TIMES! DO A SEARCH NOOB! THANKS!

Hey Playa...

First of all, who in the blue hell are you anyways?

If you don't like the thread then stay the hell out of it. And you were calling somebody else a n00b?:nut:

Toms-SC
12-04-2004, 10:42 PM

Hey Playa...

First of all, who in the blue hell are you anyways?

Somebody not stuck in wigger-ville

hockeybronx
12-05-2004, 03:09 AM

Somebody not stuck in wigger-ville

Hey Playa...

No I live in Calgary, Alberta... same as you do.

boi-alien
12-05-2004, 08:18 AM

Somebody not stuck in wigger-ville :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
hahhahahah awesome!

You most likely got an enlarged exhaust ticket. basically anything aftermarket is illegal. It's always up to the cop's discretion whether or not you get a ticket for it. I got pulled over for an oversized exhaust before, and mine's not much bigger than stock. It all really depends on how you deal with the situation. I explained to the cop that the exhaust if CARB legal. He then told me basically anything that's not stock is illegal. So I told him, that I'd change it back to stock when I got home, and he just let me go at that. And hockeybronx you don't have to be doing anything retarded for a cop to pull you over for that, when I got pulled over I was stopped at a light waiting for it to go green. The cop pulled out of the gas station and flagged me down.

awd
12-06-2004, 05:16 PM
One less fart-can I have to listen to.

I don't get it, there are loads of exhausts out there to choose from that give the same or better gains w/o the stupid excessive noise. I mean, they don't even sound good, just sounds stupid.

Is it the 'LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!" syndrome?