PDA

View Full Version : sticking posters to your wall

Skyline_Addict
12-04-2004, 10:22 PM
what do you guys use to stick posters to your wall. that sticky tack stuff has completely fcuked up my walls and I will have to scrape all of it off and repaint the walls, if it ever comes to that. anything out there that doesn't leave residue/marks/holes?
thanks

Skylinelover
12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Best thing would be tacs, becuase everything else takes off alot of paint.

Toms-SC
12-04-2004, 10:33 PM
3-M Command Strips

saiyajin
12-04-2004, 10:34 PM
i just use tape when i take it off its a bit sticky on the wall but then i just wipe it down with a piece of cloth

t-im
12-04-2004, 10:41 PM
get those poster hanger/holders with string at the top and use a small small nail to hold it up

and on a side note..don't hang posters! they make a room look kinda blah..hang paintings! :)

Kirbs17
12-04-2004, 10:49 PM
I use the clear tacs to hold up my flags. Dont have posters.

nismodrifter
12-04-2004, 10:52 PM
#1 solution: don't hang posters....I have none in my room AT HOME because its not fun repainting. I have a bunch of nice car pics and stuff which are framed on the walls...look 100x better.
On the other hand...at my apartment here in saskatoon I did put up posters because its not me whos gonna be painting the place when I move out :D

Barking_Spidre
12-04-2004, 11:24 PM
I use tacs, for my flags and posters. I live at home so when I moev out its gonna be Mom who has to repaint it. hahaha. That'll teach her. :whipped:

statick
12-04-2004, 11:35 PM
tape works fine for me, doesnt leave much residue behind

marq-jt
12-04-2004, 11:35 PM
use masking take... put one of each at each corner...
at the back of the poster...

its a pretty good way i would say...

Skylinelover
12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by marq-jt
use masking take... put one of each at each corner...
at the back of the poster...

its a pretty good way i would say...

Yeah but it is a bitch to take off becuase it takes the paint with it.

sexualbanana
12-04-2004, 11:42 PM
I frame my posters and put em up. It does leave pretty big holes in the wall. But if you're gonna put up any other framed pictures (paintings, photos, posters, etc) then you might as well.

Posters look sooooo much better when they're framed. I looks tacky when you tape them up.

FiveFreshFish
12-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
that sticky tack stuff has completely fcuked up my walls and I will have to scrape all of it off and repaint the walls, if it ever comes to that.

If your walls are already fucked up, why not continue using the sticky tack stuff? You'll end up repainting the entire room anyway.

marq-jt
12-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover

Yeah but it is a bitch to take off becuase it takes the paint with it.

hasnt happend to me... and usually my walls would be freezing... .. so i dont know i havetn rip any paint sooo thast what im sticking with... hahahah

lam-boy
12-05-2004, 01:21 AM
I use stickytac, works fine no paint peeling yet, cept for this one spot in my room I used tape on..biggest mistake ever.

Team_Mclaren
12-05-2004, 01:48 AM
where do u guys bring the poster to get them framed?

djayz
12-05-2004, 01:54 AM
i know michaels does poster framing well any picture framing.

Mckenzie
12-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Dont tape them.
Dont use poster hangers.
Dont use sticky tack.

Those all will either ruin your posters or your wall. If you want to save your poster for years to come, get them plaque mounted, not framed.

The cheapest place to plaque mount them is Blacks.

An ~ 24X36 poster is around $55 to get professionaly plaque mounted on a black background and they look incredible. Compare that to $110 at Where its Art for the same service.

Very professional, cheapers than a nice frame, better than a cheap frame and the best thing is that you never have to clean them. I just redid all my posters on plaque mount and I get lots of comments on them. :thumbsup:

habsfan
12-05-2004, 05:32 PM
i must use a different kind of paint than everyone else on this forum other than marq-jt, because i just use masking tape and i never get paint peeling off or anything :dunno:

Singel
12-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Mounting Tabs...maybe the same as those 3M things, definately work the best. My rooms is plastered with pics in a giant collage, they hold well and leave no marks

iceburns288
12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
For doors and stuff I use tacks. Take your best posters and frame them, it makes the room look the best. It also protects the posters.

Sorath
12-06-2004, 01:22 AM
terrence use duct tape! mans best friend, next to windex

jaysas_63
12-06-2004, 01:32 AM
i'm ganna have to agre with some of the other ppl on this thread.....use a nail to hang up a framed painting...it'll really make ur room look a lot nicer...but hey thats just my opinion......if u really want to hang those posters u might want to try that clay like stuff that holds up paper...i am pretty sure it doesn't leave any marks

Juicy
12-06-2004, 01:36 AM
Use double sided tape. It won't leave residue or holes.

Skyline_Addict
12-06-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by lam-boy
I use stickytac, works fine no paint peeling yet, cept for this one spot in my room I used tape on..biggest mistake ever.

assuming that all stickytac is created equal, then sticky tack sucks ass. the tack coagulated (sp?) and has become plasted to the wall. the only way to remove it is to scratch it off, along with the paint. basically, this means i will have to use a filler to fill up the holes/deviations caused by scratching the useless shit off, and then repainting the entire room. yay for sticky tack.

Melinda
12-06-2004, 09:38 AM
I fold scotch tape into a loop and put it in the corners...It's never taken paint with it and I just repainted my room and have had no issues :dunno:

Skyline_Addict
12-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
I fold scotch tape into a loop and put it in the corners...It's never taken paint with it and I just repainted my room and have had no issues :dunno:

i've done that with a few posters myself and you're right - it doesn't peel off the paint. however, alot of my posters are pretty big and don't hold up the big posters unless i use them with the sticky tack.

DarkDream
12-06-2004, 08:47 PM
if your really worried about the sticky residue you can alwasy buy some "goo gone" at wal-mart and that will solve your problem.. Works really good.!

dust-off
12-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

:werd: but only when i had non oil paint did it wreck my walls.

Nav13
02-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Got a question that has to do with posters and framing or mounting them, and felt its not worth making an entirely new thread, so ill post it in here. I just bought a poster from the sale at the uofc, the huge ferrari f1 thats like 22x62" long. I want to frame it or mount it and was wondering what would be best. If i frame it i just want a normal black metal frame, (no fancing wood stuff) but dont know if ill be able to find a frame in those dimensions. Ive cheked at micheals and they dont, so does anyone know a place that sells posters frames other then micheals. If I cant find a frame I guess ill have to mount it. I like the look alot, but being these dimensions im afraid its going to be way to heavy to hang, anyways is there any other place other then where its are, and blacks, that mount pictures.
Secondly I bougth another poster, thinking it was 24x36", turns out its 24x34", again I want to frame this, but dunno if frames in this dimension are easy to find. So again know any place that sells alot of poster frames.
Finaly, I saw at walmart that they have a clear plastic covering and carboard backing for posters, does anyone know if you can buy just the frame edging from anywhere, Im gonna chek Rona, but thought Id ask first instead of wasting a trip down there.

eb0i
02-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Try checking IKEA they have a lot of well priced frames there. That's where I bought mine a few years back for my U of C posters as well.

lam-boy
02-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

assuming that all stickytac is created equal, then sticky tack sucks ass. the tack coagulated (sp?) and has become plasted to the wall. the only way to remove it is to scratch it off, along with the paint. basically, this means i will have to use a filler to fill up the holes/deviations caused by scratching the useless shit off, and then repainting the entire room. yay for sticky tack.

well, terrence, use a blow dryer on it first ;)

Mckenzie
02-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Call blacks about mounting...they are the cheapest and they do a great job. I am not sure about the 62inch one though...they can defenitaly do the other sizes.

fast95pony
02-14-2005, 08:40 AM
I've got 5 posters on my walls ,all framed. $15 posters..$100 frames . Go figure..!! :nut:

Nav13
02-14-2005, 10:18 PM
alright thanks for all the tips, are there any blacks locations in the nw?