PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk importing newer cars from the states

awdterror
12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
There's a 99 teg in texas that I'm looking at buying. I figure about 2000 for the actual trucking up here, but what kind of duty and fees am I going to be paying at the border on an almost new import car?

t-im
12-05-2004, 08:51 PM
off topic, but what's so special about this particular integra that you gotta have it and willin gto pay 2g's in shipping, etc?

buh_buh
12-05-2004, 08:52 PM
not 15 years, not happening

t-im
12-05-2004, 08:55 PM
^ i don't think that applies for cars from the usa...i could be wrong

but i see land cruisers (mid 90's ones and a more recent one) farily regularly, with alberta plates.. and misc other cars i've seen for sale in van ..I think it was a 2001 xkr..stuff like that..all from the usa

camero
12-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

This does not apply to ALL cars. An integra can be imported from the States without any hassle. Your customs charge will be about a grand. Don't forget your inspections though, $200 (province and federal).

jaysas_63
12-05-2004, 09:02 PM
ya when we moved to the states for a yr we took our cars there...and on the way back we brought some american ones with us...theres A LOT of paper wrk, but it can be done, and its 100% legal....for us there were no dutues, becuase we had purchased them months prior to bringing them back,...but in ur case u will have to pay duties becuase u are buying from there and importin back, and it won't be cheap man

BumpinTalon
12-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

cars with an equivalent model in Canada can be imported... with a few exceptions, I am pretty sure you can't import newer Toyotas. so if a car has been safety tested and is insurable in Canada, you can import it.
if it is not tested and legal in Canada, you have to wait 15 years. if it is less then 15 years old and not legal, you can disassemble it into very small components (like pretty much to its pieces and remove the engine and transmission) and you might be able to import it as a kit car. good luck insuring it after that.
I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but you can also import vehicles for off-road/track/show use only. So you could in theory get a R34 GT-R here and drive it around illegally, even though it's entry into the country was all above the table and legal.

FiveFreshFish
12-05-2004, 09:18 PM
AFAIK, this member bought his 2003 SL55 off ebay from a guy in Florida and had it shipped to Calgary.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=50990

awdterror
12-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by t-im
off topic, but what's so special about this particular integra that you gotta have it and willin gto pay 2g's in shipping, etc?

The thing that's special about this particular teg is that I can pick up a GSR with 113 thousand KM's on the clock, with a FULLY built (sleeved, JE pistons, crower rods, all the good stuff) motor and a full-race turbo kit that makes 480 WHP on 93 octane, for less than what STOCK 1999 Integra LS'es are selling for here! If I have to spend 4 grand to get it into Canada it would be totally worth it, seeing as it would cost me 4 large american just to duplicate the turbo setup, nevermind the fully built motor.

finboy
12-05-2004, 09:27 PM
if its that cheap i would wonder if something is wrong with the car

ie, driven hard or not built that well

statick
12-05-2004, 09:32 PM
is there a place that provides 93 octane gas in calgary ?

nismodrifter
12-05-2004, 09:57 PM
lets talk usiing the search function:

http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1182092&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

www.riv.ca

Please do a quick 10 second search in future, this topic has literally been brought up a million times.

awdterror
12-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by finboy
if its that cheap i would wonder if something is wrong with the car

ie, driven hard or not built that well

I know the owner and the previous owner, and I know a bunch of the guys at the shop where it was built.

I'd run it on 91 octane, take 1 or 2 degrees out of it on-boost and it'll be safe. Probably even take the boost down a few pounds and get it retuned because 480 WHP spins like stupid on the street.

I searched and didn't find a real concrete answer. I was hoping some people would have a clue before I start calling people tomorrow morning.

jaysas_63
12-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by awdterror

I know the owner and the previous owner, and I know a bunch of the guys at the shop where it was built.

I'd run it on 91 octane, take 1 or 2 degrees out of it on-boost and it'll be safe. Probably even take the boost down a few pounds and get it retuned because 480 WHP spins like stupid on the street.

I searched and didn't find a real concrete answer. I was hoping some people would have a clue before I start calling people tomorrow morning.

well ya its legall for sure.....just be prepared to get swampped with paper wrk

EK 2.0
12-06-2004, 09:46 AM

or run 94??

awdterror
12-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

or run 94??

Don't get 94 in the big E.

CRXguy
12-06-2004, 02:11 PM

Don't get 94 in the big E.

there's one in st.albert, but that's prolly far for you. let me dig up a thread on the subaru forum. it shows the locations.

turbo'dGSR
12-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by statick
is there a place that provides 93 octane gas in calgary ?

lots...

awdterror
12-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

there's one in st.albert, but that's prolly far for you. let me dig up a thread on the subaru forum. it shows the locations.

I know there's the place on St. Albert trail that sells 94, but I'd just as soon run esso 92 octane than 94 octane with 10% ethanol.