PDA

View Full Version : 2003 350Z Performance

E36M3
12-06-2002, 03:16 AM
So my car shopping craziness has hit again, and I have now begun my quest to replace the M3. I have mixed feelings about it, as I really love my car, but I find that I don't drive much anymore.. maybe once a week at the most, and it must be time for something new.

First stop was to check out the new Nissan 350Z. I hadn't had a chance to take a good look at one in person yet, so the car was still very new to me. Luckily the dealership I bought the Saab at is also a Nissan/VW dealership, and I just happened to be out there today, and they had one in stock.

I really wanted to drive the track model.. Brembos are a must, and I wouldn't buy any other version for this reason alone.

Impressions:

Exterior 7/10

This is a great looking car. Looks a lot like an Audi TT, but in a more muscular, purposeful sort of way.

Interior 7/10

Cramped, clausterphobic and generally cheap looking/feeling. I can't believe that a car (track/performance) costing this much doesn't have leather.. I can't believe that they make you choose between their touring and track models.. they really need a model which combines the leather seats with the better wheels + brakes. The car I drove was not equipped with navigation, and had this huge, cheesy drop down thing dominating the dash. The fake carbon fiber trim looked kind of cool, but I was expecting better.

Having said all that, it had a very good feeling to it other than being cramped, and the controls were laid out nicely. The little button to adjust the rev light was kind of neat, although very limited. It allows you to set the RPM point where a shift light flashes.. it would be much more useful (although a lot more complex) to be able to set it by gear.. or better yet, have it configurable itno five different settings, so that it will tell you the optimal shift point for different criteria from smooth->performance.

Visibility 6/10

Poor rear visibility. Excellent headlights (HID). Great front visibiility.

Exhaust Note: 8/10

Sounds *fantastic* for a stock car. Much better than almost any car in its price range.. in fact, I can't think of a car in its class that sounds better.

Driving Impressions 7/10

Steering 8/10

Fantastic steering. Responsive and communicative. German like feel.

Handling 7/10

Great handling. The 225/18s on the front and 245/18s on the back are a great setup.. I like the staggered setup because it keeps the cars behavior very neutral, even in hard cornering. The ride is firm and well controlled, but hops excessively at freeway speeds, even on a relatively smooth road. I drive the same road every day with my other cars, and do not get the same hop. Confidence inspiring.. much better than expected.

Gearbox & Clutch 7/10

Very short shifts, easy to master. The clutch is a little wimpy for my taste, and difficult to modulate cleanly. It almost seems like the clutch is not up to handling the torque that the car produces.

Brakes 6/10

I was very disappointed that there was not a track model available for test drive.. the brakes are barely sufficient for a car with this much power and its sporting pretenses. I detected a bunch of fade after a couple semi hard stop from about 70mph on off ramps.

Having said that, the balance is good, and I didn't ever feel unsafe. I am being unusually harsh because of the competitors this car faces, and I am sure the results would improve with the Brembo system.

Acceleration 8/10

Fast and confident. Has great response throughout the rev range. The dealer claims that there is no break in period for this engine, so he had no problem with me approaching redline on most shifts. I'm not sure if a broken in car will be faster or not, but I think the performance figures claimed by Nissan are probably accurate.

*Seat of the pants dyno* seems to indicate that this car is not as fast as the E36 M3, especially in the low ranges. The torque curve is definately not as linear, although this is not necessarily a peaky engine.

Value 8/10

This one speaks for itself.. the car I drove was $33k USD out the door (dealer will not sell for less than MSRP) and available today.. so it is possible to get them, at least in Northern California. With a 1-4 month wait, I can order a track version at about 34-36k depending on options.

Next on the list:

Infiniti G35 Coupe

I will be testing a bunch of cars in this general class/price category, and would love input as to what people think about these cars in general. I am considering the 350Z on the low end, and the E46 M3 on the high end, and everything in between.

max_boost
12-06-2002, 03:20 AM
Wow.....nice review.....
Infiniti G35Coupe and the 350Z are both great cars but I would take the 350Z

The 350Z is perhaps the best car for the money at the moment

E36M3
12-06-2002, 03:30 AM
Thank you for the kind words.. I will post a review of the G35 coupe and other cars. I am going to be as open as I can with the reviews in the hopes that others can benefit.. I am hoping that the G35 is everything dynamically that the 350Z is with a better interior and better visibility.. It is very appealing to me. I made it to the Infinite dealer at 8:01 (closed at 8) so my next test drive won't be until at least tomorrow :(

Having said that, I got a great chance to check out a couple of the coupes in person.. gotta say that I am not a fan of the red 350Z or G35.. I think that I am leaning towards white in both cars (from pictures) and would love to see them in person. The Nissan salesmen told me he was totally sick of silver 350Zs cause they are in all the ads and almost everyone they have gotten is silver. Personally, I think they look awesome in silver.

Originally posted by max_boost
Wow.....nice review.....
Infiniti G35Coupe and the 350Z are both great cars but I would take the 350Z

The 350Z is perhaps the best car for the money at the moment

DSM Power
12-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Interesting review... I generally agree with your views, although I liked the interior and didn't think it was "cheap". :)

Originally posted by E36M3
Brakes 6/10

I was very disappointed that there was not a track model available for test drive.. the brakes are barely sufficient for a car with this much power and its sporting pretenses. I detected a bunch of fade after a couple semi hard stop from about 70mph on off ramps.

Having said that, the balance is good, and I didn't ever feel unsafe. I am being unusually harsh because of the competitors this car faces, and I am sure the results would improve with the Brembo system.

Indeed, the Brembos are so worth the extra cost! The stopping power experienced with them in the Track Package is unbelievable - I was very impressed. :drool: :werd:
I would try to get your hands on a Track model and give it another go... you'll be sold. :thumbsup:

E36M3
12-06-2002, 12:52 PM
As for the interior, everything is relative. If you compare it with an Acura 3.2TL-S or an Acura 3.2CL-S, it is extremely poor quality, especially given the price difference. There are lots of other valid comparisons, but I think this one is important. Another benchmark would be the Lexus IS300, which is clearly superior in terms of interior appointments, fit and finish. The VW Passat is also clearly a step ahead (not to mention the A4, and even the Jetta). A closer Audi/VW comparison may be the TT, which has an almost hand-made quality to the interior, and is certainly leaps and bounds above the 350Z.

As for the Brembos.. as soon as a track is available, I am looking forward to testing one.. I will be testing a G35 very soon, with the Brembos, and will report on my impressions.

Originally posted by DSM Power
Interesting review... I generally agree with your views, although I liked the interior and didn't think it was "cheap". :)

Indeed, the Brembos are so worth the extra cost! The stopping power experienced with them in the Track Package is unbelievable - I was very impressed. :drool: :werd:
I would try to get your hands on a Track model and give it another go... you'll be sold. :thumbsup:

T5_X
12-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Test drive a corvette!

How bout a Saab 9-3 Vector, they come out with a 2 door next year, don't they?

And I know its not really in the same class, but how bout a volvo S60R? :drool:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/1383-5.jpg

Hakkola
12-06-2002, 03:49 PM
And I know its not really in the same class, but how bout a volvo S60R?

Finally a volvo with a cool interior, one of the reasons we never bought a s60T5 was that the interior was so bland. That's pretty cool.

E36M3
12-06-2002, 03:56 PM
I have a lot of respect for the Z06 C5, but the interior is ultra cheesy, and the car is really made for mid life crisis WASP types. I just can't get over the stigma.. call me shallow.

I wouldn't buy a Saab for myself.. my girlfriend loves it, but I don't really like FWD at all.

As for the Volvo, I think that is a great idea.. the last Volvo I drove was probably an 84 240.

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
Test drive a corvette!

How bout a Saab 9-3 Vector, they come out with a 2 door next year, don't they?

And I know its not really in the same class, but how bout a volvo S60R? :drool:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/1383-5.jpg

SilverRex
12-06-2002, 05:11 PM
welp the 350z and G35 coupe is too on my list, however I aint planning to get that maybe for another 2 years.. in the mean time im just going with mods.

I recently saw a midnight back G35 coupe in the NW.. MAN its beautiful, sure its not sportier than the 350z but looks better than a lexus SC430.

G35 is awesome its my pick since u kan drive all year round with proper tires plus the handling is better than the 350z. about the same power output same engine anyways.. kan have 4 ppl. so for daily driver, this would be it..

=]

GTS Jeff
12-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
G35 is awesome its my pick since u kan drive all year round with proper tires plus the handling is better than the 350z. about the same power output same engine anyways.. kan have 4 ppl. so for daily driver, this would be it..

=] there is no reason that a g35c would be better in the winter than the 350z nor is there any reason that it would handle better. retard.

rage2
12-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

I thought G35 coupe and 350z are the same cars? As for winter driving, you can drive any car with winter tires on :D.

E36M3
12-06-2002, 07:41 PM
I haven't been able to find any real differences.. they are basically the same architecture, but the G35 has four seats. I'll let you know how it fairs vs. the 350Z after Sunday, as it looks like that will be the first chance I have to get out.

Originally posted by rage2

I thought G35 coupe and 350z are the same cars? As for winter driving, you can drive any car with winter tires on :D.