PDA

View Full Version : Brutal tastin whey protein

cookbob
12-05-2004, 11:18 PM
i just bought some chocolate flavored whey protein power and it tastes terrible. i mix it with water and its hard to get down. has anyone else bought the chocolate flavored stuff and mixed it with anything else to make it taste better. if so what.

davidI
12-05-2004, 11:45 PM
milk, banana, ice cream, plain yogurt, natty pb = tasty bulkin bedtime shake.

Honestly though, if you're complaining about chocolate flavoured whey protein I know you're not eating enough eggs, tuna and oats. You don't know bad taste until you eat them every day ;)

hockeybronx
12-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by cookbob
i just bought some chocolate flavored whey protein power and it tastes terrible. i mix it with water and its hard to get down. has anyone else but the chocolate flavored stuff and mixed it with anything else to make it taste better. if so what.

Dude you have to mix it with a couple of things. Try this:

1 cup - orange or apple or anything juice
3/4 cup - yogurt
1 or 2 scoops of your whey protein

All you will taste is the orange juice.

Hope this helps!

cookbob
12-05-2004, 11:57 PM
yea ill give the juice and yogurt a try. thx

hockeybronx
12-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by cookbob
yea ill give the juice and yogurt a try. thx

Oh yeah and the acual recipe I got suggested adding a teaspoon of olive oil or flax oil to the shake.

DavidI since you are one of the few that actually knows what they are talking about, what would be the advantages of this teaspoon of olive or flax oil?

Weapon_R
12-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Dude you have to mix it with a couple of things. Try this:

1 cup - orange or apple or anything juice
3/4 cup - yogurt
1 or 2 scoops of your whey protein

All you will taste is the orange juice.

Hope this helps!

That might work for unflavored protein, but I think it would taste like ass for chocolate flavored stuff.

Try this:

1 scoop vanilla icecream, 3/4 cup milk, and a banana. You have yourself a thick (but manageable) chocolate banana shake. Throw it in the blender for a few mins and it should be smooth.

hockeybronx
12-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
That might work for unflavored protein, but I think it would taste like ass for chocolate flavored stuff.

No mine is chocolate... it tastes great! I guess I forgot to mention that I throw it all in the blender but I'm sure cookbob would have realized that.

davidI
12-06-2004, 12:50 AM

DavidI since you are one of the few that actually knows what they are talking about, what would be the advantages of this teaspoon of olive or flax oil?

I dont' take it...even though I probably should but I'm pretty sure Flax is great for a ton of calories, EFA's and lowering bad cholestoral (LDL I think..) and some people believe it's good for the brain. Most people take it for the calories though (and that's why I should be taking it...I don't grow my metabolism is so damn fast)

I don't hear as much about people taking olive oil but it's good for cooking with. It's got anti-oxidants which is a benefit...I think it also reduces LDL cause it's got a lot of mono and poly unsaturated fats.

I like being thought of as someone who knows what I'm talking about....I just wish I looked more like a bodybuilder now :(

YCB
12-06-2004, 12:50 AM
brand.. its all about brand. I had some prolab before, it wasn't too bad. Then I got some optiumum nutrition :thumbsup: mint chocolate, or vanilla icecream :drool: .. dont get ON cookies and cream though ugh. i had to suffer for like 2.5 months with that....
buy cheap = taste cheap... basically haha

hockeybronx
12-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by davidI
I like being thought of as someone who knows what I'm talking about....I just wish I looked more like a bodybuilder now :(

Beyonds undisputed Health/Fitness section connoisseur!

Originally posted by YCB
brand.. its all about brand. I had some prolab before, it wasn't too bad. Then I got some optiumum nutrition :thumbsup: mint chocolate, or vanilla icecream :drool: .. dont get ON cookies and cream though ugh. i had to suffer for like 2.5 months with that....
buy cheap = taste cheap... basically haha

I don't know about that. I buy the Interactive Nutrition ISO Whey, it's pretty expensive. Sometimes I can stomach it alone with milk, but usually I have to throw it in the shake I outlined above.

IntegraG2
12-06-2004, 01:00 AM
go out and buy the GNC brand called wheycool ....its pretty good cause its not milk based...they are fruit based like lemonade or fruit punch....i cant stand the chocolate flavour....

YCB
12-06-2004, 01:14 AM
well i guess its whatever works for someone.. some people like olives some people dont. experiment i guess, mix some fruit in it.. natty pb, milk, no milk, icecream, water whatever works for you until you find whats right.

But just comparing prolab whey and ON, ON owns.. not only taste but mixing too, I hate getting chunks :barf:

Fusion
12-06-2004, 01:34 AM
i got Iso Pro banana with strawberry ..Taste pretty good. Why u mix with water man taste gross. Mix with non fat milk..

buh_buh
12-06-2004, 01:42 AM
because milk is has a much slower absorption rate than water.
So mixing it with water is much better post workout, while milk is probably a better alternative as a pre-bedtime shake.

Rockski
12-06-2004, 01:46 AM

Oh yeah and the acual recipe I got suggested adding a teaspoon of olive oil or flax oil to the shake.

just remember not to heat up flax seed oil, that can be lethal man, and i would kinda think that olive oil would taste pretty nasty in it

i personaly like whey protien that has chunks in it, its easier to stomach for me for some reason, if you want good tasting protien, mix with milk, 100% better then water, but if your poor (or cheap) learn to choke down the water mix:tongue:

BloodBaneZXY
12-06-2004, 01:52 AM
100% ON double chocolate with water = tasttayyyy

Wildcat
12-06-2004, 03:07 AM
dont go for the chocolate then, vanilla mixes better with fruits and stuff, eg orange juice and vanilla whey will taste like a creamsicle. try mixing the chocolate with OJ :barf:

ill just add a few extra vetran observations to everyones posts too:

-dont mix the protein with any dairy product, it lowers its effectiveness/ digestion. i used to mix skim milk with my protein and it caused bloated, gas, shits etc. now i mix with water and i dont get that anymore and no im not lactose intolerant. ya mixing with water might taste like shit but hey nothings free.

-natural surgars are a good blend (helps kickstart digestion), like fruits etc. this is something you have to do at home unless you bring a blender to the gym, haha

-take a whey isolate after your workout, just shake it up with some water in a bottle. "Nectar" is the best whey isolate IMO. Isloates absorb immediatley, so after training is the best time.

-Whey cooler by PVL tastes good but its junk, PVL tends to make crap, try nectar, its the same fruit drink type deal.

-olive oil (extra virgin) is good for lubricating the joints, takes more than a teaspoon tho but itll help noticably.

-prolab and champion whey proteins are the two best easily accesable proteins i know of. yes, brand does matter

So, take your isolates after training, the blended wheys inbetween meals, throw in your multis at breakfast and dinner and your rockin. If anyone here has any questions about diet or supplementation feel free to ask, its what i do.

Train hard!

buh_buh
12-06-2004, 03:26 AM
whats the difference between whey and whey isolate?
Right now I'm taking Prolab prowhey is that the same thing as whey isolate?

TrevorK
12-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

The quality of the protein.

You'll notice in a Whey Isolate you'll get a higher percentage of protein than in a cheaper Whey (Which is made up of a bunch of different forms, included Isolate).

It's usually only a couple grams difference (Like 2g/scoop), but it is also higher quality.

Unless you are at the top of your game, and competing, you won't need isolate (As it costs a lot more).

davidI
12-06-2004, 10:09 AM
isolate has less lactose and slightly more protein. It has a higher BV and contains less fat than concentrate. Concentrate is generally much cheaper though so stick with it. I dunno what your prolab prowhey is but I'm guessing it's concentrate because the isolates usually say on the container somewhere.

edit: Trevor beat me :tongue:

TrevorK
12-06-2004, 10:13 AM

Flax oil contains essential fatty acids (EFA). These are absolutely crucial in any well balanced diet.

However, it is recommended to take in all the EFA's, such as Omega 3/6/9, etc...

The easiest way to do this is through a fatty acid blend, such as Udo's. It's available at most health food stores 9In the refrigerator), ~$30-35 for 60 servings. Much better than just flax seed oil (I think it has flax in it).

http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend.htm

You can read his site for more info.

Wildcat
12-06-2004, 01:02 PM

your prolab prowhey is good stuff, stick to it :thumbsup:

pick up some isolate aswell, its not toooo expensive, a 2 pound bin of Nectar is $45 at popeyes. :dunno:

buh_buh
12-06-2004, 01:50 PM
so you suggest I take my prolab stuff AND isolate? So isolate post workout and prowhey just in protein shakes?

TrevorK
12-06-2004, 02:46 PM
so you suggest I take my prolab stuff AND isolate? So isolate post workout and prowhey just in protein shakes?

No - you'll want to take ANY for of Whey postworkout.

The difference between Isolate and a Whey blend (Which contains concentrate, isolate, etc...) isn't going to make a difference in anyone who isn't competing.

The only other protein to consider is to get a Casein (Milk protein) one for before bed - Casein is digested slower, which means you'll have more protein throughout the night. Or you can just have milk/cottage cheese/etc before bed (If you can handle dairy).

Again, you do not NEED isolate. The taste may be different (And if you get Nectar, it tastes just like juice. The fuzzy navel flavour is awesome), but what you get out of it in terms of gains will be the same as if you had the normal Whey blend.

One option is to try some Optimum - you can get it in 10lbs bags, and they have the highest percentage of protein/gram that I have seen in any of the flavoured Whey blends.

TrevorK
12-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

your prolab prowhey is good stuff, stick to it :thumbsup:

pick up some isolate aswell, its not toooo expensive, a 2 pound bin of Nectar is $45 at popeyes. :dunno:

Stuff like Nectar may be good for a once in awhile treat (I've only had the Fuzzy Navel, but it was great), but there are many other worthwhile supplements you could use for the price difference.

ehos
12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
What is the absolute best tasting stuff, regardless of money?

buh_buh
12-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Well right now before bed I just eat a ton of cottege cheese and drink a huge glass of milk. I figure its probably better to get proteins out of real food rather than relying on supplements.

Wildcat
12-06-2004, 04:06 PM
im not a big fan of dairy products, ive almost eliminated them from my diet, i find sources of protein and nutrients in other things.

True its better to take any protein than no protein after training for the average guy. But for me i plan on competing and im currently on a cycle, so i cant stress enough that what i do isnt for everyone but ill try to give the best advice possible based on my perceptions.

hockeybronx
12-06-2004, 04:44 PM
I didn't know people had this much of a problem with the taste.

HONESTLY try the recipe I posted above, my whey protein is chocolate flavored and the shake tastes great!

davidI
12-06-2004, 07:25 PM

But for me i plan on competing and im currently on a cycle, so i cant stress enough that what i do isnt for everyone but ill try to give the best advice possible based on my perceptions.

What are you running? Stats? I don't know a ton about AAS' or PHs but I always like learnin new BB related stuff.

Wildcat
12-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by davidI

What are you running? Stats? I don't know a ton about AAS' or PHs but I always like learnin new BB related stuff.

pm me, i know quite a bit about anabolics and such, talking about illicit substances on the board will incur the wrath of the mods :)

buh_buh
12-06-2004, 10:03 PM
haha I won't do anything.
I'm kinda curious too actually.

davidI
12-06-2004, 10:38 PM

pm me, i know quite a bit about anabolics and such, talking about illicit substances on the board will incur the wrath of the mods :)

If they're 'legal' anabolics then I don't see a problem talking about them here. Even though come January they're illegal in the U.S. I'm talkin M1T and 1-T and 4-AD and that shit. I don't really know what their status is like in Canada...I've never really looked into them that much. It's not a felony to talk about roids...just don't admit to shit ;)

Wildcat
12-06-2004, 10:56 PM
im totally open about talking about them if the mods dont mind, maybe move this conversation to another thread seeing as we jacked this one haha :D

and no im talking about illegal, legal anabolics dont do shit, thats why theyre legal. :rofl: like 1-TU and junk, all garbage, dont bother, the only time a bb will take shit like that is during the on-season when random drug testing takes place, its a 20-18 week period and its the hardest part of bb'n

anyways, pm make a new thread, whatver

davidI
12-06-2004, 11:09 PM
New thread regarding gear and the like
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68889

I've heard good things about M1T except that it has nasty sides. From what I've heard a lot of the 'legal' shit is actually stronger than the illegal stuff....but the gov't is smart enough to know this as well as bodybuilders so they're all being outlawed!

TrevorK
12-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by ehos
What is the absolute best tasting stuff, regardless of money?

Syntrax Nectar - 2.1lbs for ~$45

Tastes just like juice when mixed with water