PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle and weird Acceleration

nit78
12-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Hello Everyone,
I just bought a 2001 Ford Explorer and when I start the truck in the morning, it idles very rough, usually shutting off, unless I sit there and step on the Gas until it warms up. Once it's warm it idles very high, and this is a pain on the icy roads becuase when I step on the Brakes it starts to slide because of the acceleration.

The check engine light is on, and when I tested it with two OBD II machines, I got an error reading both times.

Any suggestions?

djayz
12-06-2004, 12:13 PM
get the error fixed...
and dont ever buy a ford
if you still have warranty take it to ford.

nit78
12-06-2004, 01:11 PM
I am going to be very honest with you, I have a BMW, I have owned A newer prelude, and I have owned a mitsubishi 3000 and eclipse and this is my 3rd explorer and so far the least trouble I have ever had was from Fords.

Maybe just my dumb luck, but any suggestion on what you might think the problem might be.

GTS Jeff
12-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by nit78
Hello Everyone,
I just bought a 2001 Ford Explorer and when I start the truck in the morning, it idles very rough, usually shutting off, unless I sit there and step on the Gas until it warms up. Once it's warm it idles very high, and this is a pain on the icy roads becuase when I step on the Brakes it starts to slide because of the acceleration.

The check engine light is on, and when I tested it with two OBD II machines, I got an error reading both times.

Any suggestions? ok...so what was the error code?

Gspotracer
12-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Are your spark plug wires on good, sounds like maybe there is a spark jumping somewhere:dunno:

Primer_Drift
12-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Sounds to me like a MAF (or MAP whatever 2001 ford uses) sensor problem. It would result in hard starting, poor idle at start, and high idle once warm. Are you able to pull the OBDII code, or does the machine just give you an error pulling it?

ryder_23
12-06-2004, 02:01 PM
If memory serves me right, for uses a MAF, not 100% sure. And like primer said, it could be a direct result of a MAF sensor malfunction. Maybe a vacumm line or some sort disconnected, or a leak?