PDA

View Full Version : Quick Winter Tire Question

max_boost
12-06-2004, 08:53 PM
I bought my dad a set of Hankook W401 tires for his Forester, he complains that it doesn't grip well in snow/ice. These tires are studdable, but the thing is, can you stud them now or is it too late?

IggyB
12-06-2004, 09:16 PM
They can't be studded after being used.

Is it possible that the shop overinflated them?

max_boost
12-06-2004, 09:25 PM
I've driven on them and I think they are fine. It is a performance winter tire, maybe my folks are more use to the softer Blizzak compound? I think some of it probably has to do with the fact that a lot of the roads aren't sanded down yet and it's virtually all ice in a lot of the residential streets.

My old man even went as far as saying his BFGoodrich Traction T/A All Seasons were better, now how the hell is that possible?!?!:nut: So I figure if it is still studdable, I would get that done as that will solve some of the traction issues. Oh well.

GTS Jeff
12-06-2004, 09:48 PM
most tire shops wont stud a used winter tire...but if they are still relatively new, u might be able to convince them.

studs do decrease bare pavement performance tho.

max_boost
12-06-2004, 10:09 PM
I'll give Tirecraft a call and see what they say.

Thanks for your responses.

JordanLotoski
12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
i just put some winters on my car, does it make a huge diff to stud them, and whats it cost?

Weapon_R
12-06-2004, 10:33 PM
It makes a huge diff to stud them only on ice. And it's like 15-20 each tire to stud.

That.Guy.S30
12-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I bought my dad a set of Hankook W401 tires for his Forester, he complains that it doesn't grip well in snow/ice. These tires are studdable, but the thing is, can you stud them now or is it too late?

hmm strange. alot of subaru owners have been using this tire and it got good reviews on ice/snow.

max_boost
12-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

hmm strange. alot of subaru owners have been using this tire and it got good reviews on ice/snow. I'm getting them studded tomorrow morning and that should really improve traction for ice/snow. I'm curious for myself to see what it's like with studs.