PDA

View Full Version : Honda's popularity is declining amongt youths

Redlyne_mr2
12-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I dont want this thread to turn into a honda bash but I was reading in todays automotive news that honda sales mainly their civic is dropping dramatically. Apparently people involved with customizing and individualizing their rides are becoming aware that you arent very individual if you have the same car as 1 million other people.
At a recent drift event the crowd bood when they heard the word honda over the loudspeaker. Brands like Scion and Mazda are now starting to lead in sport compact sales.
I wish we had Scion here.

DUBBED
12-06-2004, 09:56 PM
The 240sx has bascially become today's civic, nobody wants vtec anymore they want turbo and crazy camber. Plus FR/MR owns.

Akagi Redsuns
12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
No place to go but go down really, it's been so insanely popular with the import crowd.

Weapon_R
12-06-2004, 10:02 PM
I agree with that article. The last good honda died when they discontinued the Prelude and Integra. They were the only ones I truly liked, and they were both affordable. Today, I have the option of the civic, which isn't going to happen, and the RSX, which is not cheap.

Notwithstanding cost, I still can't think of any reason to buy a new entry level honda over an SRT-4 or Mazda 6 and the like.

redblack
12-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I agree with that article. The last good honda died when they discontinued the Prelude and Integra. They were the only ones I truly liked, and they were both affordable. Today, I have the option of the civic, which isn't going to happen, and the RSX, which is not cheap.

Notwithstanding cost, I still can't think of any reason to buy a new entry level honda over an SRT-4 or Mazda 6 and the like.

:werd:

saiyajin
12-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

i agree!! i want me self a nice tC:thumbsup:

That.Guy.S30
12-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

i agree!! i want me self a nice tC:thumbsup:

hell yea that thing is freakin hot man.

also i guess with the newer cars like the sentra ser, subaru impreza, mistu ralliart, mazda 3, srt-4, etc. that the civics dont really compare to them in price and value.

plus i swear the horsepower battle is about to begin lol

Carfanman
12-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Now that nissan scion and mazda are becoming more popular, What is unique in the same class of car.

89coupe
12-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Eventually you will all come to reason that Domestic is the only way to go :angel:

Faster, more powerful, stronger :::insert bionic man music:::

nismodrifter
12-06-2004, 11:19 PM
^nope...seems like all the honda peepz are learning about the advantages of something we call german engineering :D

german for life bishes

jaysas_63
12-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
^nope...seems like all the honda peepz are learning about the advantages of something we call german engineering :D

german for life bishes

exactly...everyone knows that german engineering is where it is at......honda, toyota, mazda, none of that will even come close to the engineering of a benz

h22aseller
12-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Hondas have their place, but i think finally people are realizing that they aren't as fast as some of the other offerings out there. I agree with Weapon_R that when they discontinued the Integra and Prelude that was basically the end of the performance capable budget hondas. Still, I like the accords up to 2002, but then the big H fucked up again making it big and ugly. Nice motor in the V6, but still, big and ugly.

IMO, subaru is where it's at for a bunch of reasons. You get AWD, turbo, and the "rally" image that you can't get from a honda. That all being said, i love my accord because not as many ricer kids mod them as they do civics and all models thereof.

I also think that the sales of civics to the young crowd is dying because honda has gone the wrong way with the car. They have gotten rid of the B series which was what made the cars as good as they were. most of the new ones are SOHC VTEC or no VTEC at all. and we all know that a honda without VTEC or boost just doesn't have the :bigpimp: factor.

88CRX
12-06-2004, 11:42 PM
yup... honda is catoring to soccer moms that gotta go pick up their kids and shit... they dont care if they sell some civic to some punk kid.

with that said... i love my car :D

benyl
12-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
Now that nissan scion and mazda are becoming more popular, What is unique in the same class of car.

STi, Evo 8, SRT-4, etc...

Originally posted by jaysas_63

exactly...everyone knows that german engineering is where it is at......honda, toyota, mazda, none of that will even come close to the engineering of a benz

funny, I am pretty sure that MB quality is so low now, that it isn't even rated. They have been producing some lemons lately. I think that Toyota (Lexus) is one of, if not the best engineered cars out there.

DC2uned
12-06-2004, 11:48 PM
:whocares:

Weapon_R
12-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by benyl

funny, I am pretty sure that MB quality is so low now, that it isn't even rated. They have been producing some lemons lately. I think that Toyota (Lexus) is one of, if not the best engineered cars out there.

MB has a long way to go to catch up to the Japanese manufacturers in terms of reliability. The selling factor for MB is the luxury aspect.

benyl
12-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Agreed, you can't beat the interior and ride of a MB, BMW or Audi.

They are however by no mean unique. Seems like everyone and their dogs has a 3 series now.

t-im
12-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Agreed, you can't beat the interior and ride of a MB, BMW or Audi.

They are however by no mean unique. Seems like everyone and their dogs has a 3 series now.

not new news! i swear "everyone and their dogs" have had 3 series forever!..to me it's been "continuously" popular

Redlyne_mr2
12-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by t-im

not new news! i swear "everyone and their dogs" have had 3 series forever!..to me it's been "continuously" popular
What has increased 3 series sales is all the crazy incentives and finance rates that were/are being offered. Theyre a great car none the less. Move to red deer you hardly see any there

ZorroAMG
12-07-2004, 12:27 AM
I agree MB/BMW/AUDI have been declining in terms of reliability, but they are working hard to remedy it now...the thing is, people will ALWAYS want to buy them, Lexus and Infiniti have to offer more to keep their clients from going german, it's a harsh truth.

The thing about Mercede Benz (and BMW to a slightly lesser degree) is that it is always an innovator and Lexus and Infiniti just improve on the idea to gain better relialbility (a price you pay to be leading edge i guess). Take for example keyless go, active headlights developed for the SLR concept 4 or 5 yrs ago(modern ones not the relics) SLS (self leveling susp) of the late 80s, airbags, ABS etc all MB firsts, xenon lamps etc...Germans have always been on the forefront, and the Japanese Lux brands only have to improve them.

It's not to say that Lex/Infiniti don't make great products because they do, and as a matter of fact, I had a discussion with the owner of all 9 hyatt auto dealers at a party this weekend and he said bang for buck the best car out there is the G35 coupe. For sheer presence, MB (he doesn't own a BMW dealership though yet haha) takes the cake...that is about as un-biased as it gets IMO

Until the Luxo Japanese makers can make an interior and command status like the 3 Krautmobiles, it'll always be half a step behind...

Redlyne_mr2
12-07-2004, 12:34 AM
With regards to MB Ive heard rumors this is the last year for the C class and the B will be its replacement. I think thats a huge mistake but what do I know.

ZorroAMG
12-07-2004, 12:40 AM
No, the C-Class will be revamped, there ain't no B-Class, foo! :D

Redlyne_mr2
12-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
No, the C-Class will be revamped, there ain't no B-Class, foo! :D
Yes there is and its coming

t-im
12-07-2004, 12:42 AM

What has increased 3 series sales is all the crazy incentives and finance rates that were/are being offered. Theyre a great car none the less. Move to red deer you hardly see any there

haha I didn't mean it in a bad way...seeing how I have 2 gen's of 3 series..

nismodrifter
12-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Zorro: There is a B-Class...and yes...it does look like its coming real soon.
gimme sec to get a link
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/w245.html

I think what redlyne probably meant doesn't apply to the whole c-class line..obviously they are still keeping the c-class line, but there is possible chance of getting rid of the current c-class hatchback and putting the b-class as its replacement as teh entry level model.

h22aseller
12-07-2004, 12:50 AM
I don't know guys, the interiors of the higher end lexus cars are rated nicer than equivalent german cars consistently. I was recently shopping in the Lux market and my RX330 has a way better constructed and laid out interior than anything i saw in an equal German car. and the knob thing in the BMW is truely an accident waiting to happen.

t-im
12-07-2004, 12:54 AM
B class is the A class for the NA market, right?

or am i completely off with that

Weapon_R
12-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by h22aseller
I don't know guys, the interiors of the higher end lexus cars are rated nicer than equivalent german cars consistently. I was recently shopping in the Lux market and my RX330 has a way better constructed and laid out interior than anything i saw in an equal German car. and the knob thing in the BMW is truely an accident waiting to happen.

Sad fact is, a Lexus will never be a MB or BMW. Tell someone you drive a lexus and it's pretty cool. Tell someone you drive an MB or BMW and the prestige is far higher.

Prestige and Luxury are what keep bmw and mb afloat. Lexus has them both beat for quality by FAR. So does Acura and Infiniti. Even the MB and BMW guys know this, but the germans still make the ultimate in lux

jaysas_63
12-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by t-im
B class is the A class for the NA market, right?

or am i completely off with that

i think the Aclass is a lot smaller...at least when i saw the a classes they looked a lot smaller than that b class thing...the a class is real good for european roads that are small, and congested

Primer_Drift
12-07-2004, 01:29 AM
I don't think honda marketing has ever been that good at targeting a youth popularity niche, civic was just a cheap (at first) starter car for a lot of kids. It took them how many years to realize there was a "civic nation" rollin around on 20's with fartcans shooting pink flames while blasting their classic/rap remixes.. Then they go and drop the teg and lude from their lines, 2002 made me want to cry. The S2000 seems to be the only new honda I would consider buying, I wonder how long it will take before they put 4 doors and a child seat in the thing.
[/rant]

Poor Honda, maybe I'll go german if this weaksauce trend persists..

Zephyr
12-07-2004, 01:38 AM
I dont know, maybe it's america or just me, but recently when I drive with the bimmer, I notice that more and more random people own BMWs and Benz...is it becomming easier to get these, once seen as expensive luxury cars? Now my 240sx is now becomming the next civic, I swear, people ask "are you gonna sell it?" left and right. It's getting out of hand when everyone wants a 240sx and finding one is becomming harder and harder. I wish honda was still the big thiing for ricers. That way 240sx wont be the next target for police to pull over down here at california. Now, people who have a 240sx get the most common question by police, "is that an SR?"

Honda seems to be moving to luxury more, with the improvement of the accord and now the bigger attention at acura through the TSX, RL and TL

badseed
12-07-2004, 01:40 AM

I coudn't agree more. I'd even buy a Mazda 3 over a civic.

CKY
12-07-2004, 01:49 AM
i can care less about honda's right now, i'm more interested in what toyota's gonna pull outta their ass to replace the mr2 spyder and celica

Zephyr
12-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by CKY
i can care less about honda's right now, i'm more interested in what toyota's gonna pull outta their ass to replace the mr2 spyder and celica

scion tC and the 2007 supra replacement

Ferio_vti
12-07-2004, 07:34 AM
I find Honda as with most Japanese cars, lacks selection and range of vehicles now in North America. Here in HK there's so many different cars in the show rooms. In every range, from micro cars to big vans or sedans.

CryoCarnage
12-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by DC2uned
:whocares:
:werd:

Xtrema
12-07-2004, 08:30 AM
https://gateway.nifty.com/service/g-way/MAGX2/nifty/free/images/civic0411.jpg

Come'on, the next Civic is gonna kick ass! (NOT)

Joking aside, Honda is moving into higher price, higher profit margain segment with trucks, SUVs and crossovers.

This will attract an older audience and will eventually become Toyota. And from a business point of view, that's not a bad thing. Fan boys only covers 10% of the car buying population. It's important to get them while they're young and hopefully keep them loyal to the brand, but I think brand loyalty is a thing of the pass. It's all product appeals now. My family owns a Honda, Toyota, Nissan and coming soon a Mazda 3.

heavyD
12-07-2004, 09:24 AM
I dont want this thread to turn into a honda bash but I was reading in todays automotive news that honda sales mainly their civic is dropping dramatically. Apparently people involved with customizing and individualizing their rides are becoming aware that you arent very individual if you have the same car as 1 million other people.
At a recent drift event the crowd bood when they heard the word honda over the loudspeaker. Brands like Scion and Mazda are now starting to lead in sport compact sales.

Geez! I said this in a thread a year ago. Turbocharging is the rage right now so factory turbocharged cars are all you see in the sport compact magazines. Take a look, all of them feature EVO's WRX's, SRT-4's, etc. with a couple of Hondas sprinkled in. Three years ago magazines like SCC devoted 80% of the mag to Honda's now it's about 25%.

It's ironic that 240's have become fairly popular now due to the drift fad as they were a sales failure for Nissan in the 90's. Their popularity will wane as they are pretty ugly & slow (with stock truck engine) cars that happen to have RWD.

Anything with a turbo from the 90's is in fairly high demand now like 300Z's, Supra Turbos, MR2 turbos, DSM's, etc. as they don't take much money to make incredibly fast. Unfortunately alot of these cars still go for premium prices used.

German cars are amongst the most unreliable you can buy (Volkswagen is ranked dead last amongst all manufacturers)combined with high parts prices makes them a hard sell.

I know alot of people hate Honda's but they should be commended as they did start the whole import tuning craze that still exists today. It's like Honda has done an bout face and removed any hints of sportiness from their line much like Toyota has done. It is possible that the mainstream prefers a vanilla car as sports cars cost more money to develope than commuter cars and probably don't make as much profit.

Sport Utilities if anything are the main problem. Every manufacturer has at least two of them in their lines usually at the expense of the sporty models that maybe aren't as profitable. I can't understand to this day why a person needs a massive beast like a Navigator to drive from the Hamptons to downtown everyday, then bitch because gas prices went up and it cost $70 to fill their guzzler. Sport Utes are the one trend I would love to see decrease.

Superesc
12-07-2004, 09:58 AM
I agree, honda has design some very generic looking cars this past half decade, I am quite disappointed at their direction for sure. From product perspective it seem like they are moving away from the youth market, but at the same time they are still trying to hang on to that market with those pathetic Civic Nation ads a while back.... you just can't sit on the fence!

heavyD
12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Superesc
From product perspective it seem like they are moving away from the youth market, but at the same time they are still trying to hang on to that market with those pathetic Civic Nation ads a while back.... you just can't sit on the fence!

That's sooo funny. I was thinking the exact same thing about that Civic Nation add. I couldn't agree more.:thumbsup:

legendboy
12-07-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm glad honda is finally going out of the spotlight for all the kids!

ZorroAMG
12-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Zorro: There is a B-Class...and yes...it does look like its coming real soon.
gimme sec to get a link
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/w245.html

I think what redlyne probably meant doesn't apply to the whole c-class line..obviously they are still keeping the c-class line, but there is possible chance of getting rid of the current c-class hatchback and putting the b-class as its replacement as teh entry level model.

[off topic]
Oh shite, I forgot about that vehicle sorry :D...yeah that thing is very similar to the A Class and when it comes out, it won't replace the C class at all....its a small hybrid wagon/minivan/suv, not a sedan. The C-class is still needed to compete with the 3 series and IS cars...

[/off topic]
:)

BumpinTalon
12-07-2004, 02:06 PM
my idea is that Honda is trying to grow up with its buyers... as in, all these customers who bought Civics right out of university and so on and are now going up the ladder are going to start buying more expensive cars, so they will go from a Civic HB -> Accord 2 door -> van for the kids -> S2000 for midlife crisis -> Acuras after that... it's all marketing :D if we're lucky, they will start to make exciting cars again sometime in the next 50 years.

civic_stylez
12-07-2004, 07:37 PM
as long as honda stays up on the charts in formula 1, thats all that matters to me! i just find the civic got diluted by the abundance of shit-hondas out there..the ones with the 16 year old and their fart can and APC stickers on it..parts are so cheap that anyone can get into it nowdays...but you will never see "bargain bin" prices on schnitzer or other high end parts...thats why the civic lost out... thats why bmw and mercedes are so in demand because most people cant afford them and people want what they cant have.

Weapon_R
12-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
my idea is that Honda is trying to grow up with its buyers... as in, all these customers who bought Civics right out of university and so on and are now going up the ladder are going to start buying more expensive cars, so they will go from a Civic HB -> Accord 2 door -> van for the kids -> S2000 for midlife crisis -> Acuras after that... it's all marketing :D if we're lucky, they will start to make exciting cars again sometime in the next 50 years.

so what about those kids that are coming out of university today, next year, and so on? Those won't have a decent car to purchase from Honda...but who really cares anyways? Like I said before, the SRT-4's with their crazy warranties and out of the box performance, the subies with their AWD systems, the Nissans and toyotas with their better performing and more reliable vehicles are leaving honda in the dust.

2.0turbo
12-07-2004, 08:06 PM
But...But....What about Honda Nation:cry:

Skyline_Addict
12-07-2004, 08:12 PM

yeah, the discontinuation of the prelude and the integra was pretty dissapointing. the rsx is a nice car too, but the integra just seems to have more character. i liked the old civic SIRs in coupe versions too. the integra type r, civic SIR, civic type R (last gen) and prelude genre were really honda's forté, and they took all of them away.

89coupe
12-09-2004, 08:45 AM
The smart kids will see cars like this and go "Honda, what?":angel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31835&item=4510624169&rd=1

Hollywood
12-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
The smart kids will see cars like this and go "Honda, what?":angel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31835&item=4510624169&rd=1

hahah does not look like thats the case.

-----------------
Time left: 4 days 21 hours
7-day listing
Ends Dec-14-04 14:31:28 PST
Start time: Dec-07-04 14:31:28 PST
History: 0 bids
------------------

0 BIDS!! ahahahahahaaa.

Hollywood
12-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Seriously import scene is declining in general. Factory tuned cars are the new born again imports. And honda has lost this battle unfortunately for them. Thus the decline and attention.

But all these manufactorers go through these product style changes. Look at the 60's you could get a 500hp car with a race car 427 engine from the factory. Then emissions kicked in and it went to economy cars, cars got smaller.

Then it came back around with the 3rd gen rx7 TT, supra TT, 300zx TT, MR2 T.

Then it dropped to small cars, good mileage hondas being the popular way to go.

Now we are back to performance again, 350z, SVT's, SRT's, STi's etc....Sadly, no Type R's, thus honda being out of the picture.

I have respect of the well designed Teg Type R, too bad honda North America does not.

NickGT
12-09-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm sure its been covered somewhere before, but why is it that we don't see the Civic Type R here in north america?

88CRX
12-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by NickGT
I'm sure its been covered somewhere before, but why is it that we don't see the Civic Type R here in north america?

cause it would take sales away from the rsx and rsx-s :banghead: they'd be competing with themselves.... plus who really wants a $30k+ civic :dunno:

88CRX
12-09-2004, 08:01 PM
btw - id buy one in a second :D :thumbsup:

NickGT
12-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

cause it would take sales away from the rsx and rsx-s :banghead: they'd be competing with themselves.... plus who really wants a $30k+ civic :dunno:

Ahhh, yah that makes sense.. Thanks

Originally posted by 88CRX
btw - id buy one in a second :D :thumbsup:

Indeed. If your a Honda enthusiast, the Type R gives you something to dream about. In the same way being a mustang guy, for the best performance straight from the factory - SVT. (Kinda repeating what Hollywood was pointing out)... The trend seems to be that people want performance straight outta the box. I'm sure Honda will come around :confused: :dunno:

DC2uned
12-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
I'm glad honda is finally going out of the spotlight for all the kids!

Totally agree with you.
I hope Hondas popularity keeps on decline! :thumbsup:

ninjak84
12-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Two pages and no one has shown a single bit of proof to support any claims!
This thread isn't worth much. Honda is still at the top of Japan.
Until market-trends show any difference, everything is just rumour and word of mouth.

max_boost
12-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Only Honda I will buy is the S2000 and even then, it has some stiff competition with the Z4/SLK/Boxster :D

Weapon_R
12-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Only Honda I will buy is the S2000 and even then, it has some stiff competition with the Z4/SLK/Boxster :D

don't forget the 350z.

Hollywood
12-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
Until market-trends show any difference, everything is just rumour and word of mouth.

You dont know what your talking about. Honda is no where near the top in japan, what are you thinking?

don't forget the 350z.

Forget the Z, G35 coupe is so much more of a car.

Altezza
12-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Honda is still at the top of Japan.

uhhhhh......since when?

ninjak84
12-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Oops, guess I was wrong.
Did some looking and here's what I came up with.

1. Toyota
2. Nissan
3. Honda
4. Mitsubishi

These were ranked based on domestic units sold last year.

I just always assumed Honda sold the most units in Japan.:confused:

Hollywood
12-10-2004, 01:00 PM

Well first your being a dick saying everyone to back up there claims with proof., this thread aint woth shit. And then you dont even have proof to what your saying above yourself......:dunno:

Oops, guess I was wrong.
Did some looking and here's what I came up with.

1. Toyota
2. Nissan
3. Honda
4. Mitsubishi

These were ranked based on domestic units sold last year.

I just always assumed Honda sold the most units in Japan.:confused:

Then you correct yourself, after we tell you your wrong.....:rofl:

rice_eater
12-10-2004, 01:19 PM
honda will turn into the next toyota, and toyota will turn into buick. buick used to have a couple crazy cars, then they turned into an old folks car. other than the matrix toyota has no car geared at young people. we'll see how their scion division does (strictly youth oriented right?), but they'd better do good otherwise you wont be seeing anyone under 40 driving toyota. the civic has been outpowered even by neons and cavaliers (based on SI 130hp engines) for almost 10 years now, and as far as price goes they are getting pretty steep to own. i'm surprised that it took so long for people to realize that you can do a lot better than a civic for equal or less money