PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger?

A790
12-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Would it be less expensive for me to supercharge my B16A rather than turbocharge it?

Would it be reliable?

statick
12-06-2004, 11:49 PM
supercharghing may be a bit cheaper...and provided u do it rite rite reliability shouldnt be too much of an issue.

although in the end a turbo would be faster.

A790
12-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Depending on the price difference, speed might not be an issue. I want around 200whp in the end. I think a supercharger could give me that.

If the price difference is negligable, then turbo it is.

Weapon_R
12-07-2004, 12:07 AM
there is more support for turbocharging. Trust me, I know - no one will even give me an hour of their time to help me tune my supercharger, and they aren't as popular as turbos so its hard to find fuel maps for them.

Primer_Drift
12-07-2004, 01:11 AM
My vote is still for turbo, I don't like the idea of a s/c absorbing as much as 60% of the stock power just to drive the thing, small gains for what you end up paying. JRSC makes a good product, seems to be 99 times out of 100 reliable, but at an unpalatable price to me.

A790
12-07-2004, 02:30 AM
YEa, but isn't a turbo setup a lot more intricate and expensive?

Expensive being the operative word here.

buh_buh
12-07-2004, 02:43 AM
I think supercharging would be more expensive than turbo for sure.

digitalshogun
12-07-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

It is entirely possible that I have 0 idea of what I am talking about ... but are not most supercharger applications simply bolt on? So while the charger itself maybe slightly more expensive it's the rest of the turbo's instalation that costs money.

No?

Ferio_vti
12-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by digitalshogun

It is entirely possible that I have 0 idea of what I am talking about ... but are not most supercharger applications simply bolt on? So while the charger itself maybe slightly more expensive it's the rest of the turbo's instalation that costs money.

No?

Companies like Jackson Racing or Vortec say that you can just bolt on and go ahead with it. Its like buying a computer game and just running on the 'minimum requirements.' Sure its works, but it could be running better. Ideally, you'll want to upgrade other parts along with the 'bolt-on' supercharger, to have things run better.

Primer_Drift
12-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Companies like Jackson Racing or Vortec say that you can just bolt on and go ahead with it. Its like buying a computer game and just running on the 'minimum requirements.' Sure its works, but it could be running better. Ideally, you'll want to upgrade other parts along with the 'bolt-on' supercharger, to have things run better.
^^^ Good point,
its bolt on, but it is a serious modification. I've seen the JRSC kit for the 5th gen ludes.. it has some sick clearances, and did not look easy to install at all. As with all big power adders you should not assume its plug and play. Turbo is significantly cheaper, is not limited to the output of the compressor (because a turbocharger is easily swapped in most cases) and requires just as much tuning as a S/C'd vehicle if you are going to do it right. Installing necessary components for both a prefabricated turbo kit and S/C kit would probably be negligible as far as wrench time.

Toms-SC
12-07-2004, 12:03 PM
For your application I would suggest a supercharger, getting 200 HP should not be a problem :) You get bored and want more power, swap out for a smaller pulley.

buh_buh
12-07-2004, 12:08 PM
supercharging will be just as reliable as turbo and vice versa if you have a good tuner. And as far as wrench time is concerned, I'd have to agree with Primer_drift. A turbo setup is not that hard to put in, you could probably do it in a day. I'm not sure how hard it is to put in a JRSC, but from what I've heard it takes about the same time to put in. You don't have to upgrade other components for supercharger or turbo, its just better to have them. If you consider JRSC a bolt on, I would consider turbo a bolt on as well.

redline
12-07-2004, 12:31 PM

if you compare a SC kit to a JY turbo setup but kit for kit turbo is more money

redline
12-07-2004, 12:33 PM
supercharging will be just as reliable as turbo and vice versa if you have a good tuner. And as far as wrench time is concerned, I'd have to agree with Primer_drift. A turbo setup is not that hard to put in, you could probably do it in a day. I'm not sure how hard it is to put in a JRSC, but from what I've heard it takes about the same time to put in. You don't have to upgrade other components for supercharger or turbo, its just better to have them. If you consider JRSC a bolt on, I would consider turbo a bolt on as well.

I have installed both and they both can be done in a day.

buh_buh
12-07-2004, 01:04 PM
well its going to depend on which kit your looking at.
My kit cost way less than a JRSC, but im sure a Greddy kit + intercooler will cost much more than a JRSC, but probably still less than a Vortech. But you can still get a decent setup without going completely JY. But a turbo kit can potentially be less than a supercharger kit

RedBull
12-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Unless i'm totally out to lunch.... doesn't a turbocharger create more engine heat than a supercharger, thus making a SC more favorable for stock internals on a stock engine?:dunno: If this is true would a supercharger be better than a turbo on stock internals?

finboy
12-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by RedBull
Unless i'm totally out to lunch.... doesn't a turbocharger create more engine heat than a supercharger, thus making a SC more favorable for stock internals on a stock engine?:dunno: If this is true would a supercharger be better than a turbo on stock internals?

its all based on the tune, either can be made quite reliable.

AllGoNoShow
12-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Depend son what you wish to do to the car, if you want to track it and have immediate power when you step on the pedal, then supercharge, if you want more power at higher speeds not immediatly, then go with turbo becuase you will have to wait for the turbo to spool up and create power, where as supercharger is belt driven which obveously means immediate power to the wheels, much better for track/road racing.

buh_buh
12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
here's an interesting read for the supercharger vs turbo debate

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=688120

finboy
12-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Depend son what you wish to do to the car, if you want to track it and have immediate power when you step on the pedal, then supercharge, if you want more power at higher speeds not immediatly, then go with turbo becuase you will have to wait for the turbo to spool up and create power, where as supercharger is belt driven which obveously means immediate power to the wheels, much better for track/road racing.

or you can just properly size your turbo and not worry about turbo lag.

A790
12-08-2004, 02:07 AM
How much would it cost to have my car properly tuned once it was turbocharged?

cuda440
12-08-2004, 02:19 AM
Superchargers ar ethe shit, but there is just so much more for turbo's. i am a supercharger man my self though

redline
12-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by RedBull

A turbo will create more under hood heat but the heat of the intake charge comes from the compression of the air and turbos are generally more efficent then SC so the intake charge temps will be less with a turbo

I think SC are fine on big V8 that can spare a ponies to turn the SC but for a small I4 we just can spare any more power.

Aleks
12-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by A790
How much would it cost to have my car properly tuned once it was turbocharged?

If you go with uberdata the costs are minimal in the overall scheme of things. All you would pay for is dyno time to have someone tune your car. Uberdata is like Hondata but it's free as long as you can find someone who knows how and is willing to do it for you. I think you'd also need a chip/older ecu for your SIR.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

hinggu
12-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by finboy

or you can just properly size your turbo and not worry about turbo lag.

All Turbos have lag, no matter what. It may be very minimal, but it is always there

buh_buh
12-08-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm sure tip in response is much better on a supercharger than turbo, but other than that turbo will beat a supercharger in every aspect (on a 4cyl)

M_Power
12-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Rev Hard Turbo Kit:
Price- $4399 (US I beleive)
Includes Manifold, Intercooler, etc.
Adds 75hp, 215ft/lbs

JRSC:
Price- 2,595.00 (Also US)
Dyno:
http://www.jacksonracing.com/SiteGraphics/Charts/99civicsi.gif

This is all stragith of the respective manufactueres websites.

buh_buh
12-08-2004, 05:49 PM
manufacturer's claims are not always correct. The url I posted earlier is a real world test done with identical setups.

finboy
12-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by hinggu

All Turbos have lag, no matter what. It may be very minimal, but it is always there

i didn't say it dissapeared, but with a properly spec'd turbo, lag isn't much of an issue at all. the other question you should ask is when do you want to see PEAK boost.

Rayl75
02-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi I'm from Singapore and thinking abt putting a JRSC on my EK4 (B16A4-JDM). As there are extremely few individuals having a JRSC setup, I in real need to tap expertise/experience/opinions of the folks here.

Here's my plan setup. A std JRSC running a 8psi pulley. I wanted it to be a daily with long term reliability in years to come. I'm not going to hit the tracks.

So, I would like to know these specifics:

What are the real maintence/servicing the JRSC needs? What are the consumables and expected service time interval? I don't want the sales talk from JRSC sellers. I need real infor from expereince.

Is a Apexi-VAFC1/ ITC piggy ECU enough to support the JRSC upgrade tuning demands? I don't expect perfect performance tuning to extract every juice, just some decent and reliable tuning.

Are injectors upgrade really necessary for what I need?

Appreciate any feedback/advise. Thanks!:)