PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Ghetto Short Shifter

don_xtc
12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
This is a DIY Mod that could save you $100+ on a short shifter.

Remove the gearknob/gater. Take one hacksaw, and cut off the top of the gear stick, leaving about 5mm of thread. If you can, run a 12mm die down the gear stick to extend the threads. Note that you will only make a shallow cut, as the gear stick is 11mm dia, with a 12mm thread "rolled" in. Don't worry if you can't extend the thread.

Use some electrical/ptfe tape to pack out the stick just bellow the threads (stops any gearknob movement) and re-fit gater/knob.

Now I haven't actually tried this but when I get my Kartboy SS was gonna try this out on the shifter that I have in my car. If it works I'll prolly send back the Kartboy:cry: and use the money to feed my child but if it doesn't work:dunno: ......... I got the Kartboy SS :clap:

lemme know if this works or is :bullshit:

R-Audi
12-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Ummm, cutting down the shifter makes your shifts actually longer.... (think leverage)
Most shifters change the pivot point, not just cut down the stick, some do both

hjr
12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
it technically does make the shift throw shorter, but the leverage does increace as well.

still uber ghetto though, and generally places the shifter too far down out of reach.

hjr
12-07-2004, 05:56 PM
-

badseed
12-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Ummm, cutting down the shifter makes your shifts actually longer.... (think leverage)
Most shifters change the pivot point, not just cut down the stick, some do both

Ahhhhh..............no cuttin the rod would make your shifts shorter (think common sense), although I do agree this is mad ghetto and essentially ghey.

don_xtc
12-07-2004, 08:05 PM
So what are you saying..... It would take more effort to switch gears with less leverage? So my right arm gets a lil more of a workout then usually. Doesn't all SS take a lil bit more effort to shift? Its not like I'm gonna go to the junk yard, collect a bunch of stock shifters, modify them into short shifters and sell'em on ebay fo a $100...................hmmmm ........... or could I:drool: $$$

......Well a quik check on ebay and they got SS's for under $30(shipping included)

Anyways I think all SS take a lil bit more effort then stock to shift. If I'm wrong someone will flame...I mean correct me

finboy
12-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by don_xtc
So what are you saying..... It would take more effort to switch gears with less leverage? So my right arm gets a lil more of a workout then usually. Doesn't all SS take a lil bit more effort to shift?

i don't see why it would :dunno:

cutting the top is ghetto, my shifter has it done though and it is a slightly shorter shift. short shifters really don't do anything as for performance so i don't see much point in spending 120 for the b&m that is available for my car.

don_xtc
12-07-2004, 08:23 PM
I believe the whole point of a shorter shifter is for the shorter throw not an easier throw...... else it would be called Easy Shifter......:drool: $$$

R-Audi
12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
I do stand corrected, but a kit and cutting the rod are completely different. One dramatically reduces (My B&M was 40% reduction) and the other uses the same shift point, with your hand being lower.
Its a good investment if you ask me!

finboy
12-07-2004, 09:30 PM
I do stand corrected, but a kit and cutting the rod are completely different. One dramatically reduces (My B&M was 40% reduction) and the other uses the same shift point, with your hand being lower.
Its a good investment if you ask me!

with the shaft being shorter, it still makes it shorter, note hjr's diagram.

i've heard arguments both for and against them, personally i think the risks outweight the benefits :dunno:

Team_Mclaren
12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
I have a BM as well, love it. The throw is short as the distance between putting into first and second etc is shorter. It does take more effort into putting it in gear tho... (that could also be my shiftlinkage.. its fucked to hell..:nut: )

I dont know about the ghetto cuted ones... wouldnt the angle be different (fuck up?)...also.. a shorter shifter looks better, increases RICE!

finboy
12-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
I have a BM as well, love it. The throw is short as the distance between putting into first and second etc is shorter. It does take more effort into putting it in gear tho... (that could also be my shiftlinkage.. its fucked to hell..:nut: )

I dont know about the ghetto cuted ones... wouldnt the angle be different (fuck up?)...also.. a shorter shifter looks better, increases RICE!

angle doesn't change because the point at which it pivots is the same. the decrease in throw isn't as significant.

R-Audi
12-08-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by finboy

angle doesn't change because the point at which it pivots is the same. the decrease in throw isn't as significant.

Actually a 40% decrease is quite significant, if you have driven with one it makes a world of difference. Short shifter do change the pivot joint/point, and thats what makes them shorter (In my application at least)
I have had a Civic with a lowered rod, and it is no where close to driving with an actual short shift kit. Completely different!

don_xtc
12-08-2004, 07:22 AM
I've seen some shifters with angles and some that are str8.......but it could be because its for different cars but I don't know:dunno:

jaysas_63
12-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by hjr
-

HAHAHHAHAHAH....is that a force/moment diagram......shit its been a long time scince i have seen one of those mofo's

Euro_Trash
12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Haha lets calculate the moment around the shiftknob, and then find the centroid of the boot

R-Audi
12-08-2004, 10:53 AM
I've seen some shifters with angles and some that are str8.......but it could be because its for different cars but I don't know:dunno:

Could be, with an A4 SS kit, the fulcrum point (I think thats what its called (Anyways the middle ball point) and the very bottom (Red point on diagram-Shift Linkage) are both changed/altered. To change the throw reduction, there were various holes to use for the shift linkage, and thats how it worked.

GTS Jeff
12-08-2004, 11:07 AM
the true use of a short shift is to reduce throw without shortening the shifter too much. u want the shifter long so that its close to the steering wheel where your hand sits. u want shorter throws so a. u lose less time shifting and b. u can actually reach all the gears while strapped in your harness.

finboy
12-08-2004, 12:04 PM

Actually a 40% decrease is quite significant, if you have driven with one it makes a world of difference. Short shifter do change the pivot joint/point, and thats what makes them shorter (In my application at least)
I have had a Civic with a lowered rod, and it is no where close to driving with an actual short shift kit. Completely different!

i had a short shifter (actual short shifter insert in the linkage) in my jetta, the throws were much shorter, but i still didn't seem to notice that shifting was much faster, as i can still mive my arm a couple inches faster then i can fully engage and disengage the clutch. eventually i just put the setting back to stock as the short throws got kind of annoying.

not on cars with massive space between gears (hyundai accent for example) i could see why you would want a shorter travel distance, but on civic's, vw's, etc. i really don't see much point :dunno:

H4LFY2nR
12-08-2004, 01:31 PM
I noticed a huge difference when I switched from a cut shifter(done by previous owner) to my Hurst short shift. The throw is extremely short compared to the cut one (and the cut one was soooooo damn low, a good 2 inches past the threads were cut!)The hurst is even taller than stock too. My shifts are a bit faster I guess and the shifts feel so solid too. I think it was a worthwhile mod, just make sure you get a good quality one on sale.

rio_rex
12-08-2004, 07:29 PM
yeah, cutting it is worse...the part of the shifter that decreases the throw is the design of the base of the shifter that contacts the shift linkage, therefore the only way to get a shorter throw is to just buy a short shiter.

finboy
12-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by rio_rex
yeah, cutting it is worse...the part of the shifter that decreases the throw is the design of the base of the shifter that contacts the shift linkage, therefore the only way to get a shorter throw is to just buy a short shiter.

incorrect, you CAN decrease the distance of the throw by cutting down the shifter, but you will get an even shorter throw by getting a proper short shifter

jed00321
12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
No dont cut it just buy a Tpr2 for 35 bucks and connect it to the over cast Psr5 and then you have 500 horsepower:whocares:

eeseen racing
12-08-2004, 11:44 PM
i did it on my winter car and its waaaaay better mad ghetto but i mean its not to much diff from my short shift kit

don_xtc
12-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Yeah I think I'll go to the junk yard and pick up a used one, cut and try it out. It couldn't possibly hurt. Besides wasn't there a company that you had to send in your your old shifter and they would mod it and send it back to you?

Canadian 2.5RS
12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
just use the kartboy! its badass. I know I have one.

hjr
12-09-2004, 01:46 PM
ok, point is to have the shifter at or near Stock hight (sometimes HIGHER) with a reduced throw. Cutting the shifter gives you only 1/2 of what you want and makes the other 1/2 worse. so you kind of end back up at 0, haha. 0+1/2-1/2=0.
but for all you who want to go ghetto, feel free, people who know shit about cars will see your shifter sunk into the floor and chuckle.

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/Driving_Position/alpha_cockpit.jpg

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/Driving_Position/Menu.jpg

look at where the shifters are on these races set-ups. Close by the right hand, not sunk down even further away from it. i would take these guy's word over mine, they set these cars up to have the best possible driving position, so go againts their wisdom if you wish.

finboy
12-09-2004, 01:57 PM
everyone already laughs at my car :rofl:

don_xtc
12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
It would really be nice if someone could post a pic of a stock shifter next to a short shifter so we all can see what EXACTLY is the difference. hint hint.....

finboy
12-09-2004, 08:11 PM
It would really be nice if someone could post a pic of a stock shifter next to a short shifter so we all can see what EXACTLY is the difference. hint hint.....

here is a quick diagram

| |
| |
| |
o o
| |
o |
_o

pretty much, the distance between the pivot point and the point at whcih the linkage or cable meets the shifter is increased. on the left is stock, and on the right is a short shifter, the top "o" represents the pivot point, the bottom is where the shifter connects to the linkage/cables

tomsweet1990
12-09-2004, 08:21 PM
i have one it works awesome...just make sure the bushings are good

DARREN_LOCKYER
12-10-2004, 12:17 AM
.............:D............... ;) .......................!!!

finboy
12-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by DARREN_LOCKYER
.............:D............... ;) .......................!!!

is there a point to this post? :dunno:

don_xtc
12-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by finboy

is there a point to this post? :dunno:

....just trying to boost his post/day prolly....

Canadian 2.5RS
12-10-2004, 10:29 AM

http://www.scoobymods.com/mods/impreza/images/kboemsti.jpg

finboy
12-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS

http://www.scoobymods.com/mods/impreza/images/kboemsti.jpg

perfect pic

notice the pivot point for oem and the cart boy, and how much material is below the pivot point on both.

don_xtc
12-11-2004, 08:23 AM
yep ... looks to be about a 1/2" difference from the centre of the ball to the centre of the pivot hole, and a good 1" off the top.

Good one Canadian 2.5RS thanks

Canadian 2.5RS
12-11-2004, 02:34 PM
no problem. just remember that leverage is your friend when you are installing the kartboy. I had to rig up a bar that went from under the steering wheel, over the shifter, and pry on the other end, in order to get the kartboy into position. oh and dont torque down the bolt that assembles the bushings with the shifter, if you have it too tight it will be a bish to shift.

Did you get the hardened bushings with the shifter? if you did make sure to put alot of grease on them so they dont squeek.

Also, if you want your shifter to be even shorter, go with the kartboy knuckleball since it is shorter than the oem knob.

don_xtc
12-11-2004, 10:10 PM
yeah I haven't got the kartboy just yet, but I did tell Santa(girlfriend) that I really REALLY want one and that I've been a very good boy...:angel:

schurchill39
12-12-2004, 11:50 PM
So in conclusion: Cutting the OEM shifter is ghetto
The Real SS are better for throw and leverage
Do what makes you happy.

Well i hope thats what I got out of this. I guess its hard to understand all the technical mumbo jumbo when your just a newbie like myself. But I'm learning :thumbsup: