PDA

View Full Version : heater

eikna
12-08-2004, 05:58 AM
my heater takes along time to warm up,,
15 minutes and it still now warm enough?
do i need to change something>?

ACS-e36
12-08-2004, 11:18 AM
its cold out. mine takes a while too.

Gspotracer
12-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
its cold out. mine takes a while too.

:werd: it is -20 outside, but you could try changing your thermostat, buy the higher temp one (92 degrees +) & it should help your car heat up a bit quicker, or you can always cut a piece of cardboard to cover your Rad( just make sure you leave a hole)

CBRComet
12-08-2004, 11:34 AM
15 minutes is plenty of time to get car and heater hot in a bmw. if temp gauge is normal and heater isn't get your heater valve checked out, it controls coolant thru the heater core. if the temp gauge doesn't get up to normal in this time, it will be cooling system related like thermostat or coolant level etc.

eikna
12-08-2004, 03:32 PM
thanks guys,,ill start the thermostat first,,,thats the cheaper way to go

celica girl
12-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by eikna
thanks guys,,ill start the thermostat first,,,thats the cheaper way to go

My mom's had the same problem... only it didn't even heat up after 15 minutes... we replaced the thermostat and everything is good now :)

We even got the heated seats, front and rear defrost hooked up to the compustar alarm and she can activate it when she warms up the car. It's so nice and toasty once you step inside it!

lastskpirate
12-08-2004, 03:59 PM
one of my buddies whose a mechanic once mentioned that sometimes your coolant/antifreeze if old could cause a problem in getting warm air from heater....,but i mean if your antifreeze is still good then yes i'd say it was your themostat

GT4rally
12-09-2004, 02:25 AM
I've also got an E36 320i (got it 10 days ago) and I think the heater sucks! The temp gauge seems to only go slightly past the blue (a little more than a quarter of the way across the gauge) in this cold weather, resulting in vent air that could be described as warm-ish at best. My Toyota Celica and my 740 Volvo both have a blast-furnace for heaters by comparison!

-Dave

eikna
12-09-2004, 02:50 AM
yes same here dude,,,
how could we resolve this?
i see you car is 94,,mine is 95
how much you paid for yours?

Glenn 328is
12-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by GT4rally
I've also got an E36 320i (got it 10 days ago) and I think the heater sucks! The temp gauge seems to only go slightly past the blue (a little more than a quarter of the way across the gauge) in this cold weather, resulting in vent air that could be described as warm-ish at best. My Toyota Celica and my 740 Volvo both have a blast-furnace for heaters by comparison!

-Dave

When was the last time your microfilter was changed? If it is dirty, is really restricts airflow.

If your temp needle only goes past the blue, your thermostat is stuck open. Get a new one. And the antifreeze change is good for the car.

QuasarCav
12-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Check out your heater core. On my car I have to take the heater shroud and the alternator off and clean a little radiator. It increased airflow by about 5 times.

Glenn 328is
12-09-2004, 11:11 AM
On an E36, the dash has to be removed before the heater core can be checked.....

eikna
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
air flow is good,,,just the heat

GT4rally
12-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Glenn 328is

When was the last time your microfilter was changed? If it is dirty, is really restricts airflow.

If your temp needle only goes past the blue, your thermostat is stuck open. Get a new one. And the antifreeze change is good for the car.

I haven't had a chance to check the microfilter yet. If we get some decent weather soon I'll check/clean it.

Good advice on changing the thermostat... I'll take it in next week and get it changed (not to the dealer), 'cause if the heater doesn't start working better, I'm going park it and start driving my Celica.

Thanks for the tip Glen!

-Dave

Hernando
12-14-2004, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GT4rally
[B]I've also got an E36 320i (got it 10 days ago) and I think the heater sucks! The temp gauge seems to only go slightly past the blue (a little more than a quarter of the way across the gauge) in this cold weather, resulting in vent air that could be described as warm-ish at best. My Toyota Celica and my 740 Volvo both have a blast-furnace for heaters by comparison!

Had the same problem in my M3. I put in a new thermostat last week and it worked like a charm. It's nice and toasty now.

Glenn 328is
12-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally

I haven't had a chance to check the microfilter yet. If we get some decent weather soon I'll check/clean it.

You need to replace it. It will be so full of shit, mold, leaves, cig butts, dust.....