PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an engine rebuild?

George_Reyes
12-08-2004, 12:28 PM
I noticed some blue smoke today when I was driving to work in the wifes older 94 Protege. I checked the oil level and it was quite low so I added more in. Its obviously burning it but how?

I checked the plugs right now and they are not fouled with any oil deposits. They are very clean.

If the plugs aren't fouled could it still be the rings/valve stems? The car has 130 000 kms on it.

gtkane
12-08-2004, 11:20 PM
If the exhaust valve guides are worn,the oil would be burning on the back of the valves,leaving the plugs clean.

Graham

George_Reyes
12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
So the valve seals huh? :dunno:

QuasarCav
12-10-2004, 12:17 PM
How handy are you with headwork?

If you have some time and dont need to drive the car for a day or two you could do it yourself for pretty cheap.

Gspotracer
12-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah, sounds like valve guide seals, unusual for a car with only 130,000km:dunno:

George_Reyes
12-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
How handy are you with headwork?

If you have some time and dont need to drive the car for a day or two you could do it yourself for pretty cheap.

Yeah im pretty handy, I will look into it tonight. The weather is getting better anyway I'll let the wife drive the Fiero for now.

Originally posted by Gspotracer
Yeah, sounds like valve guide seals, unusual for a car with only 130,000km:dunno:

My reaction also -> :dunno: as far as I know she drive like a snail. Must be a manufacturer defect. Too bad there is no warranty to cover it :(

tercelboi~
12-12-2004, 12:26 PM
i could build an engine out of a shit mold better then your crap hahahahhahaha

Takumi_275
12-12-2004, 04:55 PM
try using a more synthetic oil, or theres a leak in the ol pan

Rockski
12-12-2004, 05:35 PM
*thread jack* if my oil pressure is REALLY low, and there's plenty of fluid in there, would that also mean that its about time for an engine rebuild
??

ecstasy_civic
12-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Takumi_275
try using a more synthetic oil, or theres a leak in the ol pan

if its burning oil, why would you use synthetic which is a thinner oil?? not to mention more expensive:rolleyes:

Gspotracer
12-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

if its burning oil, why would you use synthetic which is a thinner oil?? not to mention more expensive:rolleyes:

:werd:

DonJuan
12-13-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Takumi_275
try using a more synthetic oil, or theres a leak in the ol pan Wow, maybe you should avoid posting if you don't know ANYTHING!!! Anyways, you could use this opportunity to do a little porting. Better flow make it a good thing!.

George_Reyes
12-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Would the valve stem seals and the valve guide seals be the same thing? Sorry im new when it comes to engine rebuilding! Any help would be appreciated.

Also I have noticed a large amount of oil on the exhaust tip.

mazda_maniac
12-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Valve stem seals are common to go on lots of mazda's.

freekstile
12-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by tercelboi~
i could build an engine out of a shit mold better then your crap hahahahhahaha

Wow that is really..helpful. Good job :thumbsdow

Would the valve stem seals and the valve guide seals be the same thing? Sorry im new when it comes to engine rebuilding! Any help would be appreciated.

Yes they would be considered the same thing.

Also make sure to check out your valves especially the ex. since they have a decent chance of being killed if your burning oil, also a compression test would help to find out if your oil seals are gone..but I cant see that happening with low km's..either way good luck with your engine rebuild :)