PDA

View Full Version : Who else drinks a coffee before working out?

awd
12-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I always do -- it gives me a great boost, without it @ 7:00am my energy/motivation would be non-existant.

discuss.

statick
12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
i dont...but i guess it would give u a boot of energy. i eat chocolate:thumbsup: (does that defeat the purpose of working out:dunno: :rofl: )

1badPT
12-08-2004, 01:41 PM
I used to before every workout and kind of fell out of the habit. It definitely had a positive effect on my workouts - I should start up again :dunno:

I would have a mix of strong coffee, green tea, chai and 3 tablespoons of dextrose - caffeine + immediate energy right before the workout :D

awd
12-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I used to before every workout and kind of fell out of the habit. It definitely had a positive effect on my workouts - I should start up again :dunno:

I would have a mix of strong coffee, green tea, chai and 3 tablespoons of dextrose - caffeine + immediate energy right before the workout :D

Nice!

And I have read there are no ill effects to it -- my dad runs marathons and always has a XL Starbucks before each race.

I just find I am really revv'd up, and able to lift more and always complete my reps.

1badPT
12-08-2004, 01:53 PM
yeah i'm sure it helps with pushing that last rep that I'd normally give up on when I don't have my drink first. I guess its a cheap creatine substitute heheh

sexualbanana
12-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Really? I can't see any real benefit in terms of drinking coffee before a workout.

I've drank coffee on my way to basketball practice and I got serious stomach cramps during practice.

My issue is that caffeine is dehydrating. So I don't see any real advantages to it. I guess coffee would give a very short term burst of energy, but if you're looking for energy, why not try other foods that would give a similar boost with a longer duration like fruits and such?

Wildcat
12-09-2004, 02:25 AM
i use something called ECA, ephedrine (25mg), caffeine (200mg), and asprin (325mg). All in pill form, its good for cutting fat.

cman
12-09-2004, 02:33 AM
i always have a big coffee before hand, gives me a good buzz and a ton of energy

Tyler883
12-18-2004, 12:49 AM
sounds good, I'll have to try some coffie. Years ago, I heard that tour du france riders use caffiene in select stages of their race.

I've used creatine and it probably added an extra plate to most of my sets, but I find it's maximum benfit hit me at 5-10 days of use, then it fades away. Now, I only add it to my water bottles for about 8 hours leading up to a leg workout. And, don't use it the rest of the week because of it's price.

I used to take an ECA stack while working a night shift. My job involved mild exercise but it would make me sweat lots. The down side for me was I'd get more strung out than I can on 3 times the caffiene if I just drank coffie.

BTW, the FDA has been issuing warnings about ephedrine since the late 1990s. I can't remember what they had to say, but it might be worth googling some info on, if you are going to use it as a supplement.

kiwi
12-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Coffee puts me to sleep... :zzz: :dunno:

Wildcat
12-18-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883
I've used creatine and it probably added an extra plate to most of my sets,

ahahaha :rofl: ok.

BTW, the FDA has been issuing warnings about ephedrine since the late 1990s. I can't remember what they had to say, but it might be worth googling some info on, if you are going to use it as a supplement.

take too much and itll give you a heart attack, period.

its marketed as a nasal decongestant btw.

in*10*se
12-18-2004, 02:50 PM
it was on the news yesterday that red bull was advertised as a "energy drink" when in true fact that several european countries have banned it because of it's ridiculously high caffine content... experts feel that this boost of energy is no good for ur body... i'm not bothering looking for the article, but just google it... :drama:

Wildcat
12-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
it was on the news yesterday that red bull was advertised as a "energy drink" when in true fact that several european countries have banned it because of it's ridiculously high caffine content... experts feel that this boost of energy is no good for ur body... i'm not bothering looking for the article, but just google it... :drama:

ill call BS right now, look on the back of a can of redbull. its 80mg of caffeine, the average cup of black coffee has 100mg. hell... my caffeine pills have 200mg.

Chris88CL
12-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I've used caffiene and ephedrine before working out but I find if I drink coffee I just get sick to my stomach.

Tyler883
12-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

ahahaha :rofl: ok.

Care to explain what is funny?

Wildcat
12-19-2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883

Care to explain what is funny?

when you say "extra plate" do you mean another 45lbs on each side for bench? because thats how i interpreted it. and thats not exactly believable.

Tyler883
12-19-2004, 11:32 PM
LOL - yup that would be :bullshit:

an extra plate would depend on which exercise I'm doing

for a bench press taken to complete failure, it was an extra 10 lbs on each side right from the warm up weight to the heaviest weight that I'll finish with.(actually maybe twice that but certainly not 45lbs).

A buddy that is consistantly stronger than me, ussually grumbles when I'm loaded up on creatine - it's the only time I make him work hard - lots of fun - LOL

for the leg press machine it was an extra 45 lbs on each side, but i can't think of any other exercise where that is true

Wildcat
12-20-2004, 03:51 AM
^well if your really into the creatine, you should definetly invest in some glutamine and taurine. you can either take all 3 at the end of your workout and first thing in the morning or just take all 3 in the morning and glutamine during the workout (w/ water or gatorade) with the creatine and taurine combo after training.

this will maximize the creatine's effectiveness an you'll get more for your money.

*and dont buy creatine w/ surgar. :D

hussein
12-25-2004, 10:29 PM
I make my own EC stack. I don't think I really need the asprin.

I normally use 200mg of caffeine and 20mg of ephedrine.

It really works well, you can rip through your work outs, but be carefull!!!

If you take too much you may end up in fatality.