PDA

View Full Version : chevy cavalier turbo?

IceDragon720
12-08-2004, 07:45 PM
i want to get a turbo kit for my 97 chevy cavalier its a 2.2L. what all do i need to buy and about how much will it cost me? also on a scale of 1easy-10hard how hard is the work. i know i can do it myself i just need to know what all i need to get to make it work effecient and reliably. what other performance mods could i put on my car to add alot of horse power & torque?

PGTze
12-08-2004, 07:59 PM
PM Cavboi, I'm sure he can hook you up :thumbsup:

cman
12-08-2004, 09:11 PM
pm me and i can give you some details, it will be quite a bit of work though...so if you really really wanna do it i can help you out.

IceDragon720
12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
yeah i want to put a turbo on it but i dont want to get someone to do it for me cuz it cost to much. i know i can do it myself cuz i learn quick and i know enough plus my dad was a mechanic for 20years so if anything i dont know he can help me out with. i just need to know what all to get it to work and get the most HP and Torque out of it. it may take me a while to save up to get everything but i really need to know what to get. maybe a real quick run down on how it all gets put together. and i should be able to manage from there.

H4LFY2nR
12-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Do A LOT of research first. Try asking on a j-body forum to find out how well your car responds to boost. Start saving and research before you buy. Even if you and your dad can install the parts, if you want it to be efficient and reliable you will have to get someone to tune your car on a dyno which is expensive. Don't cheap out, unless you are willing to spend how ever much is needed to properly turbo your car, don't do it.

IceDragon720
12-08-2004, 09:43 PM
listen i got money and i can spend right now aorund 3000 but i need to know what all to get and whats worth. i just need to know whats all i need to buy and what all i need to do. money aint a thing. i can get money. just tell me what all i need to buy and what else i need to do.

IceDragon720
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM
about how much HP and Torque will a turbo add?

finboy
12-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by IceDragon720
about how much HP and Torque will a turbo add?

depends on turbo, tune, amount of boost, etc.

the question is to general

cman
12-09-2004, 12:32 AM
first of all would you consider doing an engine swap to a larger engine, or do you want to stick with your current 2.2???
if you wish to keep your current engine here is website with a kit for it. i know you want to do it yourself but hopefully the pictures will give you an idea of what you need/where to put everything.
http://www.exploitedracing.com/turbo22cavi.html
also remember that by adding a turbo you will also need to: lower compression for higher boost, get a blow of valve, larger injectors, larger fuel pump, a turbo manifold, intercooler, remap your computer system, and exhaust.

also have you thought of going super charger?

either way i have way more material i could show you, as well as hook you up with some local guys who have done their own turbo projects/are currently installing them over winter. and a couple of them are doing complete engine swaps and adding turbo/supercharger

IceDragon720
12-09-2004, 10:04 AM
thanks i think i got everything from here. thanks for the link thats what i really needed. i think i will get the stage 4 and get my friends and my dad to help me install it. i really appreciate it. cuz i couldnt find a turbo kit for my car anywhere. so thanks again for the link. if i need anymore help i will post again.

QuasarCav
12-09-2004, 10:12 AM
2.4 and a S/C would be more effective, less time consuming and alot less custom work would need to be done.

There was a guy on www.jbodyalberta.com that had a turbo 2.2, he was selling all the parts recently. Search and maybe he still has them.

Good luck!

IceDragon720
12-09-2004, 11:19 AM
no ive been talking today with some people and i heard about someone dropping a 3.8 v6 into a cav. so i called up a shop down here and talked to a mechanic who said he could drop a 3.8 v6 supercharged engine and tranny out of a 94 or 95 poniac bonneville. so im gonna do that. im just gonna buy a 94-95 bonneville and swap motors. put the 3.8 in my cav and put the 2.2 in the bonneville.

QuasarCav
12-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Your on the right track but never put a 2.2 OHV in a 4000lb car, It will have the accelaration of a nissan micra.

I've seen one other succesfull 3.8S into a third gen cavalier, They put the auto tranny in that one. You are still looking at alot of custom work and a pretty tough to insure car. I'm sure a 2.4 and S/C will be easier but whatever floats your boat.

Be sure to post pics of this 240hp/280tq J-body!

cman
12-09-2004, 02:58 PM
yep i know of a couple 3800 engine swaps and a 3800 w/ super charger swaps as well. sounds like the way to go

Will@STRD
12-10-2004, 01:14 PM
www.essentialspeed.com

They carry turbo kit for cavaliar, only things is they take forever to send you the products

Will@STRD
12-15-2004, 07:36 AM
also www.rksports.com have a turbo kit for u too

Shaine
12-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Im not out to piss you off but I would not waste the time on that motor swap we did one and the time involved to get a strong swap is crazy I have a 97' cav with the 2.2 and a shit load of money into it but the motor has not been touched internaly yet Im making over 200+ with a full custom turbo kit did it all my self its not that hard if you have time on your hands the hardest part is the header it seems like theres alot of room but once you start you relize there isnt but like I was sayin that one we did doesnt stand a chance and it cost him 3 times as much as it cost me for my turbo

Shaine
12-21-2004, 03:27 PM
what is the origin of your cav if you decide to do a turbo kit it makes it alot easier if its from canada otherwise you have a extra o2 sensor 2 deal with

Shaine
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
And in regards to what Cmans thing you dont need injectors, fuel pump, remap enything, lower comp. or intercooler unless you are looking for 12+ of boost and trust me I know unless you completely build that bottom end you wont be doing more than 10 const. pounds. but thats OK you can make LOTS of power in that amount of boost be carful with the header 2 they sell alot of them butthey are actualy for the ecotech and they dont fit at all unless you want to take off the alternater and push the radiater out if you are realy into it I can send you some pics of the ones we make and if you interested $100 for the header and we build to spec if your lookin for bottom or top end whatnot

QuasarCav
12-21-2004, 03:40 PM
A complex auto part from someone who cant use sentances?

DonJuan
12-21-2004, 09:20 PM
wha??? that is hard to read.... I'm sure that if he is planning on doing the 3.8 S/C swap he already know to use the original Bonneville ECU, but in a swap of that magnitude I would think he is less worried about a little O2 sensor electrical work, and more worried about clearance, and front end work.

Kona9
12-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Shaine
what is the origin of your cav if you decide to do a turbo kit it makes it alot easier if its from canida otherwise you have a extra o2 sensor 2 deal with

I understand you are here to help and all, and I am sure its greatly appreciated....but please don't EVER EVER EVER come on here and Spell CANADA wrong again. Thanks ....now back to turboing your Jbodies!!!

LAFNGAS
12-22-2004, 10:38 PM
there are a couple places for your 2.2, also seeing as how its a 97 its not the eco as well so the rksport kit will not work. exploited racing is no longer making turbo kits for j-bodies as well, he posted saying that he was gonna finish up the orders that were paid for and then stop making kits for them. another source for the kit is www.cavalierconnection.com.

for the 2.2 8psi is when you would want the intercooler roughly as well but you will have to probably get injectors and a good fuel pump for sure just to be safe

you are easily going to need more than $3000 for the turbo kit though unless you go abouts getting all your parts yourself but then you're still gonna need some tuning time for it so that will add up $$$ quickly

if you got any more ?'s feel free to pm me and i could help you out