PDA

View Full Version : Is Chrysler going to sell any Chargers?

benyl
12-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Source: The Autoextremist

Chrysler chooses to ignore its history - a decision they will live to regret.

Detroit. The Chrysler Group is doing their best to quell the negative rumblings bubbling up from the Internet chat rooms about their new Dodge Charger, dismissing such bleating as being from misguided enthusiasts wedded too much to the past. But the fact remains that this chatter is rooted in sound and remarkably simple logic - and that is the fact that a new "Charger" from Dodge and Chrysler has no business being a four-door sedan, period. And frankly, they're right.

It doesn't help, of course, that the new Charger is the least attractive version built off of the Chrysler 300/Dodge Magnum architecture, despite Chrysler PR's best attempts at convincing the media and the public otherwise. Whereas the 300 and Magnum have real personality and an edginess about them, the Charger is a less successful rendering - too tame and much too timid for what the Charger name signifies. Yes, Chrysler will trot out plenty of "hot" versions at next month's Detroit Auto Show, including a "Daytona" in Hemi orange with a flat black hood (as if that will be enough to convince anyone of its authenticity). And, of course, the obligatory "NASCAR" version of the new Charger (which will make its racer-tainment debut at Daytona in February) will be on display, which we're officially dubbing the "clown car" version - because Chrysler's desperate attempt to hang Charger design cues on NASCAR's template-mandated body work fails miserably - just like it does for every other Detroit manufacturer trying to rationalize their participation in NASCAR.

This business is littered with examples of car companies not understanding the power of their own brands. One memorable moment of temporary insanity in the car biz was when John Z. DeLorean, the then newly-minted general manager of the Chevrolet division, had the brilliant idea (in his mind) of combining the Corvette and Camaro into one vehicle back in 1970, figuring he could make a ton of money by eliminating the specialization needed to manufacture the Corvette by just building it off the Camaro platform. Fortunately for the Corvette, people rose up from all corners of the corporation and got his plan vetoed before it ever left the starting gate.

There are many other examples of car companies tampering with their brands (far too many to list here), but some would even point to GM's recent experience with the GTO as yet another instance of a manufacturer failing to understand the significance of its own automotive history.

In the case of the Charger, it's clear to me that the people at Chrysler not only refuse to understand the significance of the Charger name to the Chrysler/Dodge portfolio, they refuse to believe that it really matters that the new car is a four-door sedan in its newest iteration. Why? Because they don't believe today's younger buyer will care whether or not it's a sedan or a coupe, and they think that they can relaunch the Charger into the market with no lingering image-baggage whatsoever.

That rationale might make sense if Chrysler were introducing the new Charger in some perfect revisionist history/marketing vacuum - where the public's memories are wiped clean and the media will somehow deem it unnecessary to mention what the Charger used to be in every single article they write.

But it just doesn't work that way.

What should Chrysler have done? Introduce the four-door sedan version of the rear-wheel-drive LX platform in Detroit as the Magnum sedan. Then, six to eight months later, do a two-door, shorter wheelbase, high-performance coupe version called the Charger. As for their NASCAR program, who cares? They can use their "Intrepid" headlight decals and grille openings on the NASCAR template body until the Charger Coupe is ready.

But then again, what am I thinking? After all, that's too simple and far too logical of an idea for an organization that seems to pride itself on knowing absolutely everything there is to know about this business (and anything they don't know either doesn't matter or must not be true anyway as far as they're concerned).

What really bothers me about Chrysler's plan for the Charger is that it reveals an organization that believes it can not only ignore history, but that they can actually make people ignore their recollections of history too. There's a built-in arrogance about this rationale for a four-door Charger that is almost beyond comprehension.

Let me be the first to remind Chrysler that the Charger name is as significant to Chrysler as Corvette is to Chevrolet and Mustang is to Ford.

Whether or not they choose to believe that isn't the market's problem or the nostalgia buffs' problem or the media's problem.

It's their problem - because they're choosing to ignore their own history, and it's a decision they'll live to regret.

finboy
12-09-2004, 12:51 AM
i think people will buy it, hell, people actually bought the H2 :rofl:

sputnik
12-09-2004, 08:30 AM
If Chrysler wants to release the Charger, it should be a 2 door hemi powered muscle car. If I wanted a sedan I would get a 300C. The 300C is still nicer than the Charger concept ever was IMO.

benyl
12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Well the GTO is doing very poorly. I guess we will see.

funkytuqe
12-09-2004, 11:29 AM
The new 4 door charger is a discrace to the Charger badge. As a Charger owner (1970) i am dissapointed in Chrysler, they have totally missed the point here and are mearly trying to make a buck from the Charger name. Shame on you Chrysler, come back when you have made us a muscle car you and other Dodge/Chrysler enthusiest can be proud of.:guns:

BerserkerCatSplat
12-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Man, Chrysler has been doing stuff like this a lot lately.

"Super Bee" edition SX 2.0 (Yes, because everyone knows the staggering performance numbers on the SX. I would have liked this package on the SRT-4, but not the SX!)

"GTX" Truck (The GTX was a 2-door musclecar. It wasn't even a truck!)

"Charger" Four-door (Been aptly covered how bad the whole idea is)

rip
12-09-2004, 02:41 PM
I saw the charger concept in the most recent edition of motor trend, and it looks pretty fuckin nice. It may be a disgrace to the charger badge but IMO it is a nice lookin car.

qaxaz
12-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Just let the charger name RIP... no need to dig it up and slap it on something unrelated

hyperwhite
12-18-2004, 01:16 AM
anyone got a pic of the new charger?

SwitchBlade
12-18-2004, 01:35 AM
I found a few pics. I think the last two websites are going to be closer to the production model. I think chrysler scrambled to get something together due to the release of the new mustang.

http://www.lochasracing.hpg.ig.com.br/charger1.jpg

http://www.acarshow.com/ychcptll.jpg

or

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodge_01_z.jpg

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-36806.html

chrgr
01-12-2005, 07:03 AM
The Chief Engineer of the new Dodge Charger will be taking questions in a live chat on Thursday night 9pm ET/6pm ET. Chat with Burke Brown, Chrysler Group's Chief Engineer of the Rear-wheel-drive Platform Team, about the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger. http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/dodgechargerchat011305.html (no registration needed for the chat)

1badPT
01-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by SwitchBlade
I found a few pics. I think the last two websites are going to be closer to the production model. I think chrysler scrambled to get something together due to the release of the new mustang.

http://www.lochasracing.hpg.ig.com.br/charger1.jpg

http://www.acarshow.com/ychcptll.jpg

or

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodge_01_z.jpg

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-36806.html
The first links you posted are Chrysler's Concept of the new Charger from 1999 - they should have went with this IMO.

The second set of links were an independant artist's guess at what the charger would look like using the new Dodge styling cues (it was never Chrysler's concept).

In any case, the new Charger may be a nice vehicle, but its not a Charger and it should not have the Charger badge IMO.

1badPT
01-12-2005, 12:09 PM
I almost forgot to add, the '99 concept also had 4 doors, but the rear doors were cleverly hidden. Chrysler also said if they went to production they could easily produce the 2 door and 4 door version on the same line.

DonJuan
01-12-2005, 12:45 PM
the 99 concept Charger looks waayy better than the one they are planing on producing, even though they probably scrapped it because Chevy called and wanted their Camaro design back. The 06 looks like a hodgepodge of every distinguishable classic Charger design, along with the 300C and Magnum, resulting in a car that should have been strangled at birth. But at least it will serve the purpose of taking (ever so small) a bite out of the Mustang and GTO sales, unfortunately, somone out there want to be REALLY unique.

Redlyne_mr2
01-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Chrysler isnt the only name to disrace classics.
Pontiac with their GTO
Mazda with their RX-8
Volkswagen with their beetle
Toyota with the 3rd gen MR2

al these watered down cars suck compared to the originals

finboy
01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Chrysler isnt the only name to disrace classics.
Pontiac with their GTO
Mazda with their RX-8
Volkswagen with their beetle
Toyota with the 3rd gen MR2

al these watered down cars suck compared to the originals

you forgot the 350Z by comparison to the Z32 300

*flamesuit on*

cycosis
01-13-2005, 01:08 AM
companies jsut dont understand. people would pay big dollars for teh old bodies to be slapped onto new chassis and have upgraded interiors. i dont know why they think they ahve to update and modernize the body lines.

BumpinTalon
01-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by finboy

you forgot the 350Z by comparison to the Z32 300

*flamesuit on*

uhmmm ... right. I'd say the 350 easily lives up to its legacy.

Seanith
01-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

uhmmm ... right. I'd say the 350 easily lives up to its legacy.

Agreed.

Rayme
01-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I'd say toyota pretty much fucked up the celica name with the 7th gen too, (2000-2005), now it's dead,

auto manufacturers are ...wierd:dunno: