PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Schedule

hockeybronx
12-09-2004, 04:05 PM
I know the importance of getting a good nights sleep for fitness. I also studied sleep patterns last year in Psychology and I found that the most valuable hours of sleep are between 10:00pm and 6:00am.

I need tips of how to get your sleep schedule to be a little more disciplined. Too many nights I am going to sleep at 1:30am or 2:00am, getting like 13 hours of sleep but still feeling like crap.

So let me know if you guys have any ideas on how to get a more reasonable consistant sleep schedule.:thumbsup:

ricosuave
12-09-2004, 04:08 PM
you are getting too much sleep thats the problem.

try for a consistant 8 hours.

go to bed the same time and wake up the sme time.

and deviation from a 'schedule' and the body tends to be unpredictable.

and it'll take you a short while to get into the habit too

rico

sputnik
12-09-2004, 04:10 PM
I sleep from 9pm to 5am... by 6am I am on my way to work.

QuasarCav
12-09-2004, 04:10 PM
You have to decide a bedtime and stick to it. The only thing you should be doing in your bedroom is watching TV and making love (or praying in your case). I find it easier to sleep because my body knows when I go to the bedroom it's time for sleepy.

Try to maintain a constant sleep pattern, weekends can screw this up but try to keep to a schedule.

statick
12-09-2004, 04:12 PM
force urself to get up early one morning, and then that same night u'll want to go to sleep earlier. u go to sleep earlier, then u'll wake up earlier and ur problem is solved.

t-im
12-09-2004, 04:12 PM
right now I sleep at 4am and wake up at noon

if i have class it's 4am->9am

nismodrifter
12-09-2004, 04:17 PM
I've been farked the last two days

last night: took some pillz to put me to sleep....my body just like ignored the shit and I ended up being awake in my bed until like 5am...and I have to wake up at 7 :eek:

previous night: loaded up on teh drugz again in hopes of gettin to sleep.....body seems to have just ignored the shit and I ended up layin in bed until 6:15 am awake....fell asleep for some reason then and then had to wake up at 7am :eek:

Goin CRAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZY :nut: :nut:

hockeybronx
12-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by statick
force urself to get up early one morning, and then that same night u'll want to go to sleep earlier. u go to sleep earlier, then u'll wake up earlier and ur problem is solved.

Yeah that's my plan now, I have to wake up at 5:00am tommorow so that will be the turnaround.

Originally posted by t-im
right now I sleep at 4am and wake up at noon

if i have class it's 4am->9am

That's now exactly the advice I was looking for!

Discipline is totally the key for me here, it just sucks when I play hockey two or three times a week till 12:30am.:zzz:

hockeybronx
12-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

last night: took some pillz to put me to sleep....my body just like ignored the shit and I ended up being awake in my bed until like 5am...and I have to wake up at 7 :eek:

previous night: loaded up on teh drugz again in hopes of gettin to sleep.....body seems to have just ignored the shit and I ended up layin in bed until 6:15 am awake....fell asleep for some reason then and then had to wake up at 7am :eek:

"I take a couple uppers, I take a couple downers, but nothing compares to those blue and yellow purple pills.":D

If I were you Big Mick I would stop those immediately. Your body will soon come to a point where it requires those boosts or drains and can't do it on it's own.

bspot
12-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

If I were you Big Mick I would stop those immediately. Your body will soon come to a point where it requires those boosts or drains and can't do it on it's own.

No.. read the steroid thread.. it doesn't matter what you put in your body, it always balances out :rolleyes:

I'm like you though hockeybronx, my sports schedule REALLY messes with my sleep schedule. And i'm guessing when I do stuff for work in my room before bed that doesn't help either...

nismodrifter
12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
bronx: Nah homie, I ain't addicted to this shit, its just to get me through this shitty exam time. During the normal school year and shit I can sleep fine (go to sleep at 2...wake up at 7...dat be da routiine) but with all this studyin and shit goin on I (and others..) need a lil help gettin to sleep yo

and I hate that purple hills song...gheynezz to the max

import_illusion
12-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

take a couple beers before you go to sleep..that'll get you abit sleepy

it's worked for me haha

DUBBED
12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
spark a bizzy,

But seriously get up everyday for a week at 5:30, I did that a month ago and now I'm in bed by 11 and up by 8 everyday. Every other day I'm up at 5:30 and go to the gym (whether it's a weekend or not). My days seem so much longer and I'm much more productive now. I like the lifestyle.

nismodrifter
12-09-2004, 05:34 PM
^those suggestions are a little bit of a problem for people (aka:me) who don't drink/do drugs :D

mazda_maniac
12-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Sleep is so overrated........:thumbsup: hahaha

Black Gts
12-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac
Sleep is so overrated........:thumbsup: hahaha
Yeah sleep is the cousin of death :) but yeah ive been tryin to get a good sleep schedule for awhile, but what can you do.

InfiniteJoy
12-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Sleep is such a waste of time IMO.. Usually I go to bed at around 3am and wake up at about 7am.. Sometimes it'll catch up to me so I just sleep in till about 1pm maybe once every 2 weeks.

hockeybronx
12-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by InfiniteJoy
Sleep is such a waste of time IMO.. Usually I go to bed at around 3am and wake up at about 7am.. Sometimes it'll catch up to me so I just sleep in till about 1pm maybe once every 2 weeks.

Although I know nothing about your routine, depending on the amount of activity in your lifestyle I would suggest you change such habits.

Running your body on four hours of low quality sleep will catch up on you faster than you think. I would say your growth (both physical and mental) as well as the effects of aging would be the first two symptoms of your sleep habits.

Chances are you probably rely on a boost of caffeine every morning as well to get your body to normal levels. Don't even get me started on how much I disagree with the routine of daily caffeine.

theken
12-21-2004, 07:30 PM
i go to sleep around 1:30 2:00 every morning, wake up at either 4:30 or 5:45 depending on my work day, then i sleep all day saturday till like 4 or 5

Carfanman
12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
I think Im kinda screwed, I go to bed at 2-2:30 and get up at like 10-11 and it sucks because Im tired all day. I cant go to bed before 12 because I watch tv but after 12 for somereason Im not able to sleep. Its like when my body's tired my minds wide awake and visa versa. Sheat I feel like fuk.

~Leah~
12-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Yeah I hear you guys! Finals f'd up my schedule big time. None of my exams were till noon... so I was staying up till 3/3:30 to study, then hit the sheets and get up at 8 to study more. Now that finals are over, i can't go to bed until at least 3... and it takes me FOREVER to fall asleep (especially since it's the holidays and I'm not in my own place until Jan. 5 when I get back to Calgary :( )

But while in S'toon, my friends wanted me to go out, but my mom didn't... soooo I waited for her to go to bed then I went out. It really caught up to me last nite cuz the nite before, I was out until 3:30, packing my bags till 4:30 and had to be up at 6:30 to take the bus to my grandparents place. Soooo needless to say, I was asleep by 11 last nite. Let's hope I can keep it earlier now.

Tyler883
12-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Sleep is pretty damned important for the body.

If you have sleep apnea, then your body is not getting enough rest, it could be completely undoing all your weight training efforts, just like overtraining can undo your efforts.

Benefits come from the right balance of : hard work, rest, nutrition, and recovery

poor sleep will screw with your rest and recovery.

hockeybronx
12-23-2004, 10:03 PM
I'd say my biggest problem is that I'll have two or three nights throughout the week where I'll go to bed around 1:30am and wake up at 12:00pm ish.

These nights screw with my body so bad because it slows the hell out of my metabolism.

I want to be more productive and it seems like for 8 months now I've been saying "I have to get on a better sleep schedule".:drama:

civic_rida
12-24-2004, 12:41 AM
ahahaha i can vouch for him goin to bed late dude comes home at 2 in the morning i can hear him .

turbotrip
12-24-2004, 01:30 AM
dam these days i go to sleep at like 4-5 am and wake up at 4-5 pm, and ive tried sleeping early but then i just sleep for like 16 + hours.....i gues im just addicted to sleep cuz the more i sleep, the more i want to sleep lol:nut:

~Leah~
12-24-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
dam these days i go to sleep at like 4-5 am and wake up at 4-5 pm, and ive tried sleeping early but then i just sleep for like 16 + hours.....i gues im just addicted to sleep cuz the more i sleep, the more i want to sleep lol:nut:
No offense, cuz it's not just you I'm talking about but I can't stand people like you!!! Anyone that regularly sleeps more than 8-10 MAX hours a nite is completely wasting their lives away. Imagine everything you could be doing, all the friends you could see, all the working out you could do, all the fun you could have, but instead, you are sleeping. That's so sad really. You're sleeping away your life, and before you know it, you'll be dead. Wow, way to live it up! :thumbsdow

turbotrip
12-24-2004, 02:57 AM
^:rofl: :rofl:
dont worry people like me cant stand people like u either lol
u must be one of those folks who sleep like 4 hours a night and then constantly complains about being tired and shit, while we sleep a good 12+ hours (only on weekends, weekdays is like 3-4 hours a night) and have the energy to stay up for a hell of a long time, so there i can accomplish a lot more than getting up a couple of hours early in the morning
and yes i know that most people seem to say that when they oversleep they feel extra tired, but i cant say the same

szw
12-24-2004, 05:08 AM
I am in the fucked up category. Often sleep at 6-7am :nut: :nut: :nut:

hockeybronx
12-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

No offense, cuz it's not just you I'm talking about but I can't stand people like you!!! Anyone that regularly sleeps more than 8-10 MAX hours a nite is completely wasting their lives away. Imagine everything you could be doing, all the friends you could see, all the working out you could do, all the fun you could have, but instead, you are sleeping. That's so sad really. You're sleeping away your life, and before you know it, you'll be dead. Wow, way to live it up! :thumbsdow

Yeah and all you do on these forums is brag about being a borderline alcoholic. It's so much better to be hammered out of your mind all the time than to sleep:rolleyes:

The fact is you don't the guy, and who are you to judge the value he is getting out of his life? You can't stand him...well if you are as self-righteous all the time as you sounded in that post then I can't you either.

doublepostwhore
12-25-2004, 06:46 PM
^ missing a few words champ?

But I agree, I have a poor sleep schedule, for about 3.5 weeks I didnt sleep, that was after i was perscribed to dexidrin, and i just kept taking them, about 75 MG a day, my reg dosage was 55, or 60, so I wasnt that much of... I finished every bit of work I got my hands on, plus some, but then im still recovering, and I am no where NEARS as productive as I was.

To those whom knock people whom sleep, well its there decision, who are you to bash someone for enjoying the most natural/healthy part of life? I would rather let my brain rest, then pretend to have fun drunk while pissing away my liver, my money, and my intelligence on alcohol.
Friends are great and all, but when Jordan Capri is riding me in my dream, you all can go to hell, cause nothing is gonna hold me from her.

~Leah~
12-28-2004, 05:15 PM
Okay, well obviously I don't expect you guys to know that my talking about drinking is a huge joke. I'm clearly not a 'borderline alcoholic' so who are you to judge me by reading posts on an internet forum? I don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone I don't know or who won't take the time to get to know me.

But as a quick example, my sig also suggests that Ben is a raging alcoholic, when really, neither of us are. The point of my post was not to insult people, but to point out that while you're sleeping for 16 of the 24 hrs in a day, you are wasting away your life. If you found out you were going to die tomorrow, would you sleep? I highly doubt it. I just think that it's absolutely useless for someone to sleep that much because when they grow up and look back on their lives when they're 80 years old and all they CAN do is sleep, they'll be like, ohhh yeah, remember that one time, when everyone else was out having fun with their friends, and meeting new people, and building their relationships with other people, how I stayed home and slept? Yeeahhhh, that was awesome. I just think people that sleep that much now are really missing out on bettering their quality of life. And as much as u 'think' u know me, NO, I'm not talking about being drunk. I'm talking about hanging out with friends and stuff. Life is all about relationships. bah... lol... kay, I'm seriously gonna shut up before I get all philosophical 'n shit.

hockeybronx
12-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Okay, well obviously I don't expect you guys to know that my talking about drinking is a huge joke. I'm clearly not a 'borderline alcoholic' so who are you to judge me by reading posts on an internet forum? I don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone I don't know or who won't take the time to get to know me.

But as a quick example, my sig also suggests that Ben is a raging alcoholic, when really, neither of us are. The point of my post was not to insult people, but to point out that while you're sleeping for 16 of the 24 hrs in a day, you are wasting away your life. If you found out you were going to die tomorrow, would you sleep? I highly doubt it. I just think that it's absolutely useless for someone to sleep that much because when they grow up and look back on their lives when they're 80 years old and all they CAN do is sleep, they'll be like, ohhh yeah, remember that one time, when everyone else was out having fun with their friends, and meeting new people, and building their relationships with other people, how I stayed home and slept? Yeeahhhh, that was awesome. I just think people that sleep that much now are really missing out on bettering their quality of life. And as much as u 'think' u know me, NO, I'm not talking about being drunk. I'm talking about hanging out with friends and stuff. Life is all about relationships. bah... lol... kay, I'm seriously gonna shut up before I get all philosophical 'n shit.

Okay that's great... if you think sleeping an "excessive amount" is a waste of life then thats fine, you said it twice now, thanks for that.

I never judged you by what I said, hence why I used such terms as "on these forums", "if you are as", and "as you sound"?

The point of my thread was to see what others do to maintain a healthy sleep schedule. Healthy is a term that can be used differently by different people.

~Leah~
12-28-2004, 11:12 PM
I know your post kind of got off topic but this is actually a growing concern in health research today. You say "healthy is a term used differently by different people." Well, I prefer to listen to a health professional on matters of health. And considering I'm soon to be a health professional myself, I take a huge interest in this.

Not only do I personally believe people that sleep that much are sleeping their lives away (remember, personal opinion, don't get worked up and take what I say too seriously) , but it is unhealthy, and is a growing sleeping disorder called hypersomnia (or if it's bad enough, could be narcolepsy). Learn a little bit about ithere.... (http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleepdisorders/idiopathic_hypersomnia.htm) it sounds like the people that sleep that much fall into the symptoms! It's actually a neurological disorder as well. Anyhoo... interesting stuff.

Gondi Stylez
12-29-2004, 05:09 AM
I know your post kind of got off topic but this is actually a growing concern in health research today. You say "healthy is a term used differently by different people." Well, I prefer to listen to a health professional on matters of health. And considering I'm soon to be a health professional myself, I take a huge interest in this.

Not only do I personally believe people that sleep that much are sleeping their lives away (remember, personal opinion, don't get worked up and take what I say too seriously) , but it is unhealthy, and is a growing sleeping disorder called hypersomnia (or if it's bad enough, could be narcolepsy). Learn a little bit about ithere.... (http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleepdisorders/idiopathic_hypersomnia.htm) it sounds like the people that sleep that much fall into the symptoms! It's actually a neurological disorder as well. Anyhoo... interesting stuff.

although i agree with sleeping until ur body "naturally wakes you up" it is best to sleep for NO MORE THEN 8-10 hrs a day. sleeping for 14-16hrs a day can cause hypersomnia and such disorders like in the link leah posted.

personally, i do sleep for an 'excessive period of time' on some occasions but for the most part try to wake up at 9-10ish on weekends and i wake up at 6-630 on weekdays for class

btw. interesting read

Hash_man
12-29-2004, 07:11 AM
That was an interesting read Leah...

I had a fairly normal sleep routine during school, although sometimes I would stay up till about 2am, when I had to be up at 6-7am... But normally I would be sleeping by about 12am.
Then on weekends I would only sleep until 930-1030am even after being out till 2am-3am because if I over slept I felt like shit.

Lately though, being out of school, I have found myself in the worst sleep pattern... As you can see, Its 6am and I have yet to go to sleep. I keep going to sleep around 4-6am and sleeping until 4-6pm. I find myself lying in bed for about an hour before i can actually fall asleep because my back pains (stupid back problems) and then have a really bad sleep, waking up numerous times during the night.

I really need to fix this, it sucks..

Kirbs17
12-29-2004, 10:20 AM
For some people it might be hard to get into a disciplined sleep habit. I know for me its completly dependant as to what kind of activity Im doing. During the summer month, I work outside doing landscaping, and IF i make it to midnight, its a rarity. But when Im at college or working a less labour intesive job (Future Shop) I go to bed at 1:30 and am up at 9 am.