PDA

View Full Version : NHL Developments

Ajay
12-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Apparently there's a press conference at 430 on TSN regardng the recent meeting of the NHL and the NHLPA.

They have a scheduled talk next week as well too after meeting today. I think that's a good indication that they're going in the right direction!

I WANT HOCKEY BACK!!!!

cman
12-09-2004, 06:00 PM
wow that was a huge proposal by the NHLPA, i was not expecting that.

A_3
12-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Not bad... I wouldn't get too excited yet.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=107451

Ajay
12-09-2004, 06:35 PM
HUGE offer by the NHLPA.

Bettman has gotta be impressed with what the NHLPA is offering.

I read somewhere that they were expecting the rollback to be around 10% but 24%? That's HUGE...will hurt the players making less than the league average more than anyone else obviously but it's a step in rectifying the problem at hand.

Think on Tuesday the NHL will come back asking for a higher luxury tax dollar for dollar.

If the NHL rejects this offer....for sure we won't see any hockey this season.

Team_Mclaren
12-09-2004, 06:50 PM
ya but the 24% is deciving imo... It's a one time thing, and the left over money would only mean that they will go and get more high dollar free agents.

Gondi Stylez
12-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
HUGE offer by the NHLPA.

Bettman has gotta be impressed with what the NHLPA is offering.

I read somewhere that they were expecting the rollback to be around 10% but 24%? That's HUGE...will hurt the players making less than the league average more than anyone else obviously but it's a step in rectifying the problem at hand.

Think on Tuesday the NHL will come back asking for a higher luxury tax dollar for dollar.

If the NHL rejects this offer....for sure we won't see any hockey this season.

:werd:

hockeybronx
12-09-2004, 09:59 PM
After listening to the highlights one thing that stuck out for me was when Bettman said something along the lines of:

"this isn't about trying to save our season, it's about trying to save the league and the 30 teams involved."

Seems to me that the main points of the meeting dealt with long term agendas and was not geared to save the current 03-04 season.

Ajay
12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
ya but the 24% is deciving imo... It's a one time thing, and the left over money would only mean that they will go and get more high dollar free agents.

I could be mistaken but I thought I heard Goodenow say the rollback was to occur over a 2 or 3 year period amounting to $600 million in players salaries back to the league. Cause if it was just a one time thing I doubt in a year players salaries would amount to $600 million.

There's obviously grounds for negotiation on this deal but I think the kicker is the luxury tax....that's gotta be boosted for there to be a season this year. It's a big step in the right direction though so hopefully they can pound something out and get something signed and get on with the hockey for at least six more years uninterupted.

Ajay
12-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
After listening to the highlights one thing that stuck out for me was when Bettman said something along the lines of:

"this isn't about trying to save our season, it's about trying to save the league and the 30 teams involved."

Seems to me that the main points of the meeting dealt with long term agendas and was not geared to save the current 03-04 season.

Well yah...it's a business and like any business they're in it for the long haul. No point in being inefficient and losing more money.

If this does carry on for longer than a season then some teams will definetly fold so Bettman's comments are warranted.

I saw a thing on TSN where they had reporters go down to Tampa and just talk to strangers in the mall. They asked them about the Stanley Cup and the NHL and they really didn't seem to care about either. Granted it's media so editing coulda been a factor there but either way....I WANT HOCKEY BACK!!!!

Team_Mclaren
12-09-2004, 10:23 PM
I believe the rollback will occur for the rest of the already contacted players. ie free agents will not be effected of course. but think of it this way, that is a short term solution to the problem, just like back in 1994, when the players refused the cap and Bettman went soft and acccepted it. I'm sure he doesnt want this to happen again hints "this isn't about trying to save our season, it's about trying to save the league and the 30 teams involved." He fucked up 10 years ago that lead to this lockout. He NEEDS to get it done once and for all.

Ajay
12-09-2004, 10:31 PM
True enough.....but if he brings a cap into the discussion on Tues we won't see a season this year and possibly next year. Look how long it took them to get together to talk to today....3 months! If they can't resolve soon enough they won't be talking for a long time.

The NHLPA compromised ALOT this time around so now it's time for the NHL to give a little as well.

Team_Mclaren
12-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
True enough.....but if he brings a cap into the discussion on Tues we won't see a season this year and possibly next year. Look how long it took them to get together to talk to today....3 months! If they can't resolve soon enough they won't be talking for a long time.

The NHLPA compromised ALOT this time around so now it's time for the NHL to give a little as well.

Yes i agree, if the league brings the cap back on the table next tuesday then this is pretty much over. But be sure that the league will come back next year, I can see more than half of the players ditching the PA and be replacement players. Most of these guys still need to make a living (even tho they will way overpaid).

As you can see, im all for the league and owners. It's just damn sad that the players dont realize how much they are getting pay and yet still complains about it.

max_boost
12-09-2004, 11:05 PM
On the topic of developments, what do you guys think of the recommendations put forth by Brendan Shanahan and his committee? Looks like a good list that will really improve the game.!

Gondi Stylez
12-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
On the topic of developments, what do you guys think of the recommendations put forth by Brendan Shanahan and his committee? Looks like a good list that will really improve the game.!

very impressive! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cman
12-10-2004, 12:08 AM

i also liked quite a few of the ideas they had thought about adapting from the AHL's experiments

hockeybronx
12-10-2004, 12:09 AM

I agree with changes such as shootouts to decide every game after overtime, and the elimination of obstruction.

However I disagree with the "one-minute" penalty rule. I've played the game for 16 years now, and I think the players should be the ones deciding the game in overtime. I think the refs should let most things go, but those extreme things that warrent a penalty should go for the full two minutes.

Ajay
12-10-2004, 12:13 AM

Yes i agree, if the league brings the cap back on the table next tuesday then this is pretty much over. But be sure that the league will come back next year, I can see more than half of the players ditching the PA and be replacement players. Most of these guys still need to make a living (even tho they will way overpaid).

As you can see, im all for the league and owners. It's just damn sad that the players dont realize how much they are getting pay and yet still complains about it.

I support the league and the owners as well. When the average salary is $1.8 million that's insane and there has to be a stop to the rising salaries. Most people would be very happy with the 0.8 of that. I'm just hoping to remain optimistic to see a season this year.

Originally posted by hockeybronx

I agree with changes such as shootouts to decide every game after overtime, and the elimination of obstruction.

However I disagree with the "one-minute" penalty rule. I've played the game for 16 years now, and I think the players should be the ones deciding the game in overtime. I think the refs should let most things go, but those extreme things that warrent a penalty should go for the full two minutes.

:werd:

finboy
12-10-2004, 12:16 AM
good to hear that things are improving, we need the red mile back damnit!

http://www.flamesgirls.com

ah good memories :love: :rofl:

Sorath
12-10-2004, 01:15 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm hockey

hyperwhite
12-10-2004, 10:59 PM
the NHLPA proposal was huge but if i were bettman i would trade some of the rollback back for a stricter luxory tax because the one they presented was a joke. but bettman will kill the season cause he will still want a hard cap. And a cap will only hurt the league. teams like Dallas and Colorado need to spend more to get good results to keep their fans. and since there is no luxory tax there is no money (or atleast not as much) going to the minnesota's, carolina's, and pittsburgs of the league that can barely afford a 20 million dollar payroll, so they are still gonna be left in the dust. and for all those calling the players greedy you need to know that the average salary is 1.8 million but thats being proped up by some 9-10 million dollar deals. the median salary is just over 1 million. then take off a 24% rollback, 10% for the agent, and almost half for tax. then figure in that these guys are only gonna play for 10-15 years instead of some guy in an office who can work for 40 years. they're not making as much as the NHL would like you to think. [/ramblings] :nut:

colinderksen
12-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Easton rep told us that it's looking like 3 years without hockey. I hope he was exagerating.

buh_buh
12-15-2004, 12:59 AM
I think if theres no hockey in 3 years, the players probably will have created a new league by then.

Team_Mclaren
12-15-2004, 01:00 AM
I dont think the players can live without hockey for 3 full years... im positive that it 'll be back next year, replacement players or not, may be even a new league. (WHA?)

lam-boy
12-15-2004, 01:11 AM
you are crazy, we need a hardcap.
small market teams will NOT last.

The players will come crawling back, gurantee it!
WHA? haha Vince you are joking right?
WHA = biggest joke ever.

Team_Mclaren
12-15-2004, 01:16 AM
well i dont know the story behind WHA... just something that pop out of my mind... but anyway... they WILL be back next year. I can bet that more than 3/4 or players will crawl back to be replacement players and the nhlpa will weaken. not every player care if there is a cap... especially those that dont make the millions... all they want is to play and have a job (even tho they still make a shit load)

GQNammer
12-15-2004, 02:00 AM
well i dont know the story behind WHA... just something that pop out of my mind... but anyway... they WILL be back next year. I can bet that more than 3/4 or players will crawl back to be replacement players and the nhlpa will weaken. not every player care if there is a cap... especially those that dont make the millions... all they want is to play and have a job (even tho they still make a shit load)

lol even bench warmers make over 100k/year

But I agree with Mclaren. There are a lot more players making 2 mill or less/season than there are players who make over 2 mill. If the lockout continues for the rest of the season, most players will probably fold.

eb0i
12-15-2004, 03:28 AM
I'm all for a hardcap and revenue sharing just like the NFL. And I really hope that the owners don't cave in before the players do. However the owners will have to do something finacially in order not to cave in. I think that replacement players or bringing the farm teams up to play as replacements would be awesome. At least there would be some hockey again and the locked out players wouldn't have much leverage in the fight anymore. This would force them to cross the picket line eventually if they ever wanted to play.

lam-boy
12-15-2004, 11:50 AM
THe players WILL fold.

I know Bettmans an idiot, but he won't cave in. WE NEED a hard cap. No cap, no flames, no oilers, no canucks, no senators and possibly no canadians.

sputnik
12-15-2004, 11:57 AM
One of 2 things will happen.

1. The NHLPA will agree to a hard cap.
2. The NHL will declare bankrupcy and will fold thus causing a new league to start (most likely with a cap).

Ajay
12-15-2004, 12:39 PM
The NHL will never fold. There may be no hockey this season but like others said one side is eventually going to give in and it's more than likely to be the NHLPA.

The only solution to this is the agreement of the hard cap. It works for the NFL and the NBA so I don't understand why the NHLPA are being hard asses about it....oh yah that's right a bunch of players and the leader of the NHLPA are greedy mofo's.

I like the way the NBA is set up and I think they should mimic that (especially considering Bettman helped to form that cap system). It's more of a soft cap which allows a team to sign a player to a huge contract but not without paying a huge tax on the overages. Pretty much a cap + the luxury tax. The difference is the NBA is widely popular in the US and they do have a nice share of TV revenues dispersed among all the teams. The NHL has very little fan base in the US so bringing in TV revenue is absolutely pointless.

3 years? I think we'll see hockey before that...it'll be like the move The Replacements where the players cross! I also don't think teams like Vancouver or Montreal have to worry if this drags on for more than a year b/c Vancouver is definietly a larger market team when compared to the Flames, Oilers, or Ottawa and Montreal is never going to fold. The day an original 6 team folds is the day we know the NHL is in HUGE trouble.

Either way after this fiasco is over either Bettman or Goodenow is going to lose their job depending which way it goes.

colinderksen
12-15-2004, 03:24 PM
They players don't need it. Over 160 NHL players are playing overseas.

eb0i
12-15-2004, 09:12 PM
They don't get paid as much in europe as they do in the NHL. That's why they need the NHL. Even with a hard cap, the players will still make more playing here. Through signing bonuses, playing incentives and more.

3G
12-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by finboy
good to hear that things are improving, we need the red mile back damnit!

http://www.flamesgirls.com

ah good memories :love: :rofl:

:WERD: can't forget the red mile, that shit was soo fun