PDA

View Full Version : illegally imported cars..?!

rb_pwrd_180sx
12-10-2004, 01:36 AM
So I had a chat with someone about importing cars from Japan. I have had experience with importing engines and parts, but never cars. I was later introduced to a man who had a Skyline GTR and a turbo SW for sale here in Alberta- both RHD. I was particularly interested in the MR2 because it was full of aftermarket parts and was well taken care of, I was not bothered that the car was imported from Japan.

So I bought the car and went off to register it. This was time consuming (because my car lacked a proper North American VIN) however after two hours in the registries the car was fully registered in Alberta, regardless of the fact the car was manufactured April 1992.

Two weeks later a friend tells me my car is an illegal car and if I’m caught with it I face serious charges and fines, not to mention my MR2. After I learned this I called a close member of my family who is a member of a certain city’s police administration. I asked him how thoroughly the city police and RCMP enforce the 15 year old rule for the importation of cars from other countries. I later learned that neither the municipal police force or the RCMP are even aware such a rule exists. I was told Canada Customs takes cars of all that...

Canada Customs doesn't enforce the rule either, they couldn’t give a rats ass if some small time independent car dealer is selling illegal imported used Japanese cars. The only purpose of the 15 year old rule is to protect North American auto manufacturers from losing grip on the domestic market. This 15 year old rule is a pretty good filter, it keeps Ford and GM happy.

Its it nearly impossible for Canada Customs to trace an illegally imported car after it has been registered. The registry does not record the car has been imported, or that the car is even RHD.

So after learning all this I don’t see how anyone could be so against illegally imported cars. I might not buy another, but that’s not saying I wont again someday.

I sold the car about 3 months ago so I could start my current project: RB25DET powered s13.

Team_Mclaren
12-10-2004, 01:46 AM
but wouldnt there be a huge problem with insurance? hint: since non 15 year old "imports" are illagel, when you get into an accident, they will not cover you? or... how would you go and get insurance the first place?

rb_pwrd_180sx
12-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Insurance wasn’t a problem, I called them before I picked up the car, they insured it for 48 hours. Then after I got the car registered fully, I showed my company and they put me on full insurance, no questions.

mx73someday
12-10-2004, 03:02 AM
It doesn't matter that registries doesn't flag the car as an imported vehicle or a right hand drive vehicle, the serial number is an identifier that it wasn't manufactured for our market.

It's ignorant to believe that it will never catch up to you eventually. Canada Customs might be slow to catch on, but that doesn't mean they'll never catch these cars.

Ethically, you should be able to choose the car you want to drive, who cares where it came from. But you should be upfront with your buyer about the true year of the car, just because you feel its not a big deal doesn't mean that your buyer won't want to ditch it after they find out. After all, you sold your illegal car, wonder why.

turbo'dGSR
12-10-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by rb_pwrd_180sx
Insurance wasn’t a problem, I called them before I picked up the car, they insured it for 48 hours. Then after I got the car registered fully, I showed my company and they put me on full insurance, no questions.

you physically showed them the car? they said nothin about the RHD or anythin like that?

Toms-SC
12-10-2004, 02:40 PM
No shit, I think this rumour about illegal imports is total bullshit. My family has personally brought up a hand full of cars from the United States. No problems at all! Just a couple of questions about the SAAB because most havent seen it before. :)

rb_pwrd_180sx
12-10-2004, 03:30 PM
I owned my SW for over THREE years. I sold it because I wanted a change. I would’ve kept the car regardless of the fact it was illegal.

This isn’t a rumor, Customs does not enforce the 15 year old rule after the car has gotten passed customs clearance (in New Westminster, BC). Also, the VIN I was assigned was created to exactly match that of a North American MR2, I was told by my the person who sold me the car to get a new VIN mounted (like they put on RV's and Trailers) and for it to cover the serial # on the build plate. It took like a month to get the new VIN mounted on the car, however the registries allowed me to register my car use the assigned VIN before it was mounted. I understand that the assigned VINS that the registries assigned imported cars (the free one) is flagged, however the VIN you have to pay 400 dollars for, and is bolted on are not flagged. The VIN assigned to my car labeled it as a 1992 MR2 Turbo.

Out of all the illegally imported cars for sale in Canada, how many of them do you know were seized. Zero.

rb_pwrd_180sx
12-10-2004, 03:36 PM
By the way.

I sold the car to a colleague from work, he is well aware the car has been illegially imported and has had no legal problems since the day i sold him the car.

calgarys13
12-10-2004, 05:09 PM
just wait till you get in an accident and the insurance company screw's you and the person you hit..have some responsibility before you kill some one and end up in jail

Ichigo
12-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
just wait till you get in an accident and the insurance company screw's you and the person you hit..have some responsibility before you kill some one and end up in jail

Wouldn't that be the insurances fault for insuring you in the first place??

blueripper6
12-10-2004, 06:28 PM
"oh its our fault we didnt know that we insured a dumbass.. we will just payout I guess cause its our fault lalalalalala perfect world"

Team_Mclaren
12-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by blueripper6
"oh its our fault we didnt know that we insured a dumbass.. we will just payout I guess cause its our fault lalalalalala perfect world"

nope! insurance companies arent dumb, they will try everyway to get the responsibility off them, which in this case, you illagelly imported the car and "LIE" to the insurance company, they have the right to refuse your coverage in case of an accident.

TypeS
12-10-2004, 06:50 PM
yea in all honesty, if your insurance company finds out about the 15 year rule (which is unlikely, but IF they discover it) then they now know your car is illegaly in canada...and can refuse coverage.
although if you went through the process to register a vin to the car and the car is like IDENTICAL to the USDM version, I see no reason why these canada customs stiffs haveto make things so hard:thumbsdow

blueripper6
12-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

nope! insurance companies arent dumb, they will try everyway to get the responsibility off them, which in this case, you illagelly imported the car and "LIE" to the insurance company, they have the right to refuse your coverage in case of an accident.

LOL I know thats what I was getting at.. should have used sarcasm brackets:rofl: