PDA

View Full Version : Engine work for 350Z

James350z
12-10-2004, 04:50 AM
Hey all, with my car parked for the winter, I have decided it'd be a good time to take on some engine mods. I hopefully will be taking possession of my APS twin turbo (http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/350z.htm) set up shortly but I haven't the slightest idea of who to get to install it. I'll have the car taken via flatbed to and from the garage, but I don't know who's good... and who to stay away from.

if I was in Edmonton, I'd talk to Inzane or some of the crew... but I'm not, so any suggestions as to who I should use?

I was originally going to do have a stroker kit done, bringing it from 3.5 to 4.3 and then go with the APS but I decided against it, time restraints and oh yeah, money. lol

I'll be having a Do Luck full body kit (1 (http://www.350ztt.com/doluck1.jpg)) ( 2 (http://www.350ztt.com/doluck2.jpg)) and a Veilside V2 rear wing put on, then Custom Coachworks will be handling the painting. I'm not 100% set on the color I am going with yet.... I had considered Lambo orange (Arancio Atlas)... but I am still throwing around ideas for color so I am open to suggestions. I just really want the car to stand out this summer. ;)

I've currently got 19" Gunmetal Volk TE37's (8.5/9.5) but I am going to 19" RMC Volk Sf Challenges (9.5/10.5) so when I'm done the car will be pretty bad ass for sure. (I plan to sandblast the TE's, powdercoat them black and sell them on eBay)

Anyway, any suggestions on engine work would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!

my baby, lowered on tein's, with the TE37's (http://350ztt.com/myz.jpg)

edit: this will give you some idea why i went with APS (http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/pzone/pzone.htm)

They are without a doubt the best TT set up for the 350Z. Makes GReddy look baaaad. =)

RedBull
12-10-2004, 11:23 AM
I'd get the install done by Reg at RCTS Canada, his website is www.monsterhorsepower.com He's worked with a couple supercharged 350z's and he seems to know his stuff. You should schedule an appointment or at least give him a call!

By the way, is that a Track Pack or Performance model 350z? Can't wait to see the numbers that bad boy puts down, good luck with the install!

James350z
12-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by RedBull
I'd get the install done by Reg at RCTS Canada, his website is www.monsterhorsepower.com He's worked with a couple supercharged 350z's and he seems to know his stuff. You should schedule an appointment or at least give him a call!

By the way, is that a Track Pack or Performance model 350z? Can't wait to see the numbers that bad boy puts down, good luck with the install!

It's the track version from the States. A few minor cosmetic differences, pretty much the same car though. The brembo's are the easiest way to tell if it's the track version or not.

thanks for the advice!

2.0turbo
12-11-2004, 02:07 PM
As much as I like Reg, you would be better off going to Alvin Automotive. He's just up 42nd SE and 11th street SE. Right close to the burger bus if you know where that is, just up the hill you will find Alvin Automotive. There is a place called AE tuning very close by, do not enter. If you go to Reg, he will be a middle person. Much better to go directly to Al. They do a fair bit on Nissan stuff.

badseed
12-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Kinda off topic and I apologize for this but; I love your car!!! It's so badass lookin.

"It's so bad it'd make medicine sick!!!":devil:

Hollywood
12-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Thats a nice kit. Very well done, im impressed.

Alvin auto would be the very last place I would take my 350z or any modded car for that matter. I would not even take it there if the labour was free.

Reg is kinda the high roller tuner. If you can afford it take it there.

Davenport seems to be an option as well. Although I have never delth with them.

Al from AE tuning, is good for when you blow the engine and need it rebuilt, but not to put on the turbo kit.

This is comming form an ex nissan tuner.

2.0turbo
12-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Reg will send the car to Alvin Automotive. Atleast I think he still does. Then he will take a cut.

Hollywood
12-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
Reg will send the car to Alvin Automotive. Atleast I think he still does. Then he will take a cut.

Maybe thats new cause Reg did not know alvin auto since last spring/summer.

RedBull
12-11-2004, 08:51 PM

Uh what the hell are you talking about? As far as i'm aware ALL his work is done in his shop.... I've been watching the progress of a supercharger install on a 350z in his shop....:rolleyes:

Jason Lange
12-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Alvin does good work, He rebuilt and installed my dads metal headgasket in his mkiii.

Hollywood
12-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Jason Lange
Alvin does good work, He rebuilt and installed my dads metal headgasket in his mkiii.

I installed my own metal headgasket and reasembled my head, does not mean im a super tech. Also they reassembled the head not rebuilt it. Head and engine work is sent to machine shops son.

Alvin auto are rookies in the tuner area. I have seen it first hand. I'm not sure of there machanical skills so i have no comment on that.

2.0turbo
12-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Alvin auto are rookies in the tuner area. I have seen it first hand. I'm not sure of there machanical skills so i have no comment on that.

Different strokes for different folks. You say that A/E tuning does good engine rebuilds, I would not agree. I say that Alvin does good work and you would not agree. :dunno:

It is very hard to find someone that can do good work, it would seem. Actually, every single time I have taken my car somewhere, I have run into problems. The only place that did a bang-up job was Brake-Check on 16th ave by the brick when they installed my brembo disks and metalic pads.

Alvin auto did run into some issues with my car and they reinstalled an out of spec flywheel for some reason or another. All they had to do was tell me. Because I went through Reg, I talked to Reg, then he asked them to fix it asl ong as I bought a new flywheel and they did, never had a problem since. They fixed everything for free and did a really good job. I appreciate that I didn't have to ask or fight with them over redoing. I think they have the cleanest shop in the city from what I have seen and I would recommend them. Thats all.

2.0turbo
12-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by RedBull

Uh what the hell are you talking about? As far as i'm aware ALL his work is done in his shop.... I've been watching the progress of a supercharger install on a 350z in his shop....:rolleyes:

I guess he must do some stuff then. About one and a half years ago, he sourced my car out to Alvin Automotive to do the clutch. He did tell me, when I asked, that he does the things that he will make the most money on in his shop. He doesn't want to "get dirty" anymore and is concentrating on electronics and tuning as apposed to installs. Maybe the 350z is an exception. Maybe it is a good friend of his and wants no problems. He certainly does not do ALL the work himself. I don't really like your tone.

RedBull
12-13-2004, 08:35 PM

I guess he must do some stuff then. About one and a half years ago, he sourced my car out to Alvin Automotive to do the clutch. He did tell me, when I asked, that he does the things that he will make the most money on in his shop. He doesn't want to "get dirty" anymore and is concentrating on electronics and tuning as apposed to installs. Maybe the 350z is an exception. Maybe it is a good friend of his and wants no problems. He certainly does not do ALL the work himself. I don't really like your tone.

When he's charging around $100 per hour install and $175 per hour on the dyno I don't really think he's going to outsource most of his work... Secondly, this is his second install that I have observed on a 350z just this month so no I don't think its an exception.:thumbsup:

2.0turbo
12-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Meh, must have dreamed it:rolleyes:

90_Shelby
12-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Alvin Auto does goodwork, mechanically wise, I have friends that work there. As Hollywood stated, I would probably agree they are not a "tuner" shop. And I've also heard that Reg sends work to them.

AccordTypeR
01-11-2005, 12:39 AM
personally i take my car to alvin automotive, nothing but great work there. I plan to keep taking my car there in the future! As far as tuning goes ive seen some of the wokr they have done and im impressed the grey 240sx wiht the s14 sr20 looks amasing. i was there a few months ago and they said reg still bring his work there