PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Lancer OZ edition mods

awd
12-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Hey guys,

A friend of mine just picked up a 2003 Lancer OZ edition -- it was a great deal that included $3000+ worth of 18" Konig wheels/tires and an aftermarket exhaust. The car only has 10,000kms and he ended up gettting the car for $14,500.

The car "looks" great but he wants to improve the performance/power -- as you might know the lancer oz is sitting at a laughable 120hp.

My question is to you guys: What would be some good power mods be for $1000 - $2000?

discuss.

awd
12-10-2004, 10:22 AM
AEM or Injen Cold Air Intake? Suspension?

GoChris
12-10-2004, 11:00 AM
turbo!!
oh for $1000....never mind, good luck with that. I don't think for that price you can do much besides nitrous.

awd
12-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by rlde.us
turbo!!
oh for $1000....never mind, good luck with that. I don't think for that price you can do much besides nitrous.

hah -- thats what I was thinking, this poor little car dyno's in at an amazing 103whp.

So I was thinking CAI -- probably good for 3-5hp, maybe headers for 10-12hp...

I don't think he wants to turbo his lancer, and NOS is out of the question - that would be stupid.

1badPT
12-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Why is NOS out? Bolt-ons may give you a total of 5 hp, never mind 10-12 hp each. NOS can be done cheaply and safely. Other options would be to swap in a 4G63 if you want to spend closer to your $2000 limit :dunno:

bspot
12-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Its gonna take ALOT of work to do anything with a 103 whp car.. I'd say leave it. If he wanted faster, should have bought faster.

JCX
12-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Its gonna take ALOT of work to do anything with a 103 whp car.. I'd say leave it. If he wanted faster, should have bought faster.

Exactly. Let's get serious for a moment. Given the car's size he's going to have to add lik 50% more horsepower to make the car even REMOTELY quick. Even then it will be slow. He'll only regret spending $$ trying to buff that engine up.

Mitsu_Ralliart
12-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Tell your friend to go visit www.evolutionm.net he'll find all his options over there.

awd
12-10-2004, 12:03 PM
1badPT: NOS is out of the question because my buddy is not a tuner at all -- he wants easy and painless.

bspot: I agree, but don't get me wrong -- he is really happy with the car, just curious to see if he could squeek out a few more ponies with some mods.

Here is a pic of the car -- the 18" Konigs are massive for this little car but man are they sick in person.

finboy
12-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by awd
1badPT: NOS is out of the question because my buddy is not a tuner at all -- he wants easy and painless.

bspot: I agree, but don't get me wrong -- he is really happy with the car, just curious to see if he could squeek out a few more ponies with some mods.

Here is a pic of the car -- the 18" Konigs are massive for this little car but man are they sick in person.

looks like it needs to be lowered a bit, and a front lip wouldn't hurt either.

instead of buying CAI, i would just tell him to build his own for less then $100 and save the other cash for header to muffler exhaust. unfortunatly if he wanted a fast car for cheap, the lancer doesn't offer too much, but he can make it sound and look faster:dunno:

Will@STRD
12-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Jbuy a Injen CAI, maybe a cat-back if you only have a muffler,
Ground Wire system w/ Voltage Stabilzer.
But beside that, there is really nothing you can do to + power

awd
12-13-2004, 05:17 PM
UPDATE, we ran the VIN after looking at it and the car was written off in July -- STAY AWAY.

finboy
12-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by awd
UPDATE, we ran the VIN after looking at it and the car was written off in July -- STAY AWAY.

ouch, sorry to hear

heavyD
12-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by awd

Where did he get it from. It's good to inform the rest of us about scammers.

awd
12-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Where did he get it from. It's good to inform the rest of us about scammers.

Story goes like this:

The car was written off in July and "salvaged" on Nov. 15th -- a complete write-off.

Originally he told us the car had been in a small fender bender and that the warranty from mitsubishi would not be affected.

Complete BS, the car F*CKED and the warranty is gone.

The car is misleading though -- nice big 18" Konigs wrapped with falken ziex tires, full tint, magnaflow exhaust and only 12,000kms -- ALWAYS CHECK THE VIN#.

Aleks
01-14-2005, 03:33 PM
I am sorry to hear that about your friend! Goes to show even if the car is almost brand new you can never be too carefull. IS there anything your friend can do now? I assume it wasn't a used dealer that sold this?

awd
01-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I am sorry to hear that about your friend! Goes to show even if the car is almost brand new you can never be too carefull. IS there anything your friend can do now? I assume it wasn't a used dealer that sold this?

He didn't buy it -- but the guy selling should giving that information up front.

QuasarCav
01-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by awd

He didn't buy it -- but the guy selling should giving that information up front.

:werd:

At least you know what you were doing. Could have been an expensive mistake.

Is the seller required by law to state the info?

awd
01-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

Is the seller required by law to state the info?

Yes, it is a criminal offence to not provide that information to the potential buyer up front.

civicrider
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
yeah some guy sold me a written off car without telling me i found out called him and threatened to take his ass to court and the next day i returned the car to him and got my money back.