PDA

View Full Version : Good Gym

Juicy
12-11-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm looking for a gym in the SW (woodbine/woodlands) area. Does someone have some good reccommendations? I don't do too much machine weights and stuff like that, mainly free weights and lots of cardio and also abs, so there needs to be lots of mat space for stretching.

I used of go to the University gym, but it's like a 10 min walk from Scurf, so I would rather drive than foot it (HAHA kinda defeats the point of a gym though).

EDM
12-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Theres some womens gym at the canyon meadows area and theres Gold Gym Canyon meadows there too.

Southland is pretty good too, although i was there 4 years ago :tongue:

hockeybronx
12-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Juicy
I'm looking for a gym in the SW (woodbine/woodlands) area. Does someone have some good reccommendations? I don't do too much machine weights and stuff like that, mainly free weights and lots of cardio and also abs, so there needs to be lots of mat space for stretching.

I used of go to the University gym, but it's like a 10 min walk from Scurf, so I would rather drive than foot it (HAHA kinda defeats the point of a gym though).

From where you are at I would suggest Southland Leisure Centre... Just watch out for all of the gabbing high school students standing around and cluttering the place up.

statick
12-11-2004, 04:33 PM
i'm not too sure wut area this place is in...but a place by chinook centre called national sports development is awsome.

Tyler883
12-11-2004, 05:31 PM
the midnapore mall has a medium sized place that is all new but not very busy

mcshow
12-11-2004, 05:33 PM
there is gym located right in woodbine
its called Ganier or something like that is right in the mall with Safeway

its supposed to be a pretty good gym

EnRich
12-11-2004, 07:01 PM
I say Golds Gym Canyon Meadows.... Amazing there... Look me up if you want me to scratch a $99 dollar initiation fee and a good deal on a monthly bases, 34/month, pm me I can hook you up

Mckenzie
12-11-2004, 07:09 PM
I think the YMCA is a great atmosphere for anyone....100 x better than the gym at the UofC. Clean, lots of brand new equipment and no muscle heads. And its nly 38 / month as a student....great place. :thumbsup:

mcshow
12-11-2004, 07:32 PM
which YMCA, cuz there is one on heritage that is kinda a hole, all pretty old equipment
but i heard the one in shawnessey is pretty nice all new and everything

but UofC is not that bad, besides the number of people, but its got really sweet equipment if you go when no one is in there

hockeybronx
12-12-2004, 01:12 AM
Personally I love having everything at home. I can workout whenever I want, I can go as hard as I can, and I can go from one exercise to the next no problem.

I figure it saves a little time. It's costed me probably $500.00 to put together a good system in my basement, and I love it. I'm down there everyday:D

Wildcat
12-12-2004, 04:03 AM
ugh, stay away from shawnessy YMCA, might aswell go workout at the local daycare...

Mckenzie
12-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
ugh, stay away from shawnessy YMCA, might aswell go workout at the local daycare...

:thumbsup:

I have no idea why you would say that....its full of MILFs all morning long. You never have to wait for a machine and at its busiest time it is as crowded as most other gyms at their slowest time. The people there are super friendly too....:dunno:

Boosted_TL
12-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
I say Golds Gym Canyon Meadows.... Amazing there... Look me up if you want me to scratch a $99 dollar initiation fee and a good deal on a monthly bases, 34/month, pm me I can hook you up

It is no longer Gold's Gym anymore, it was bought out by Good Life Fitness as of December 1st.... So your hook up is no good !

I wouldnt suggest signing up there now as the rates are through the roof...

With $360 down its $20 Bi weekly ( 40 / Month )
With $0 down its $29 Bi weekly ( $58 / Month )

All on 2 year contracts

They had to jack the price to pay off the $2 000 000 in new equipment and renovation's.

Luckily they have to accept the existing Gold's members contract.

I would go with Southland Leisure Center

EDM
12-15-2004, 02:16 AM
Its too bad about Golds. Im a Northland member, i bloody hope its not going to be good life fitness! :banghead:

Golds :thumbsup:

Southland :thumbsup: lots to do there

sexy_sunshine
12-21-2004, 01:50 AM
So if we have a contract there we are still fine? cause I have a year and a half left there lol

EDM
12-21-2004, 09:21 PM
^^ ya

pinoyhero
12-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Can't beat the Southland Leisure Centre for the best equipment : cost ratio

JordanLotoski
12-28-2004, 10:53 PM
golds is now good life and lemme tell u 100 times better then golds ever was

three.eighteen.
12-30-2004, 06:37 PM
reheheheally?

rmk
01-14-2005, 02:05 PM
My Dad gave me a membership to the Good Life Fitness Centre in Canyon Meadows (ex- Golds gym) for Christmas. I got a 2 month "membership" with 6 training sessions. They are trying really hard to pay off what they have purchased (the "newer" equipment hasnt even arrived yet).

When I went in for the first time, they refused to give me a membership card until they get a voided cheque to start billing, even though I have a two month plan already PAID for.. She threw a contract at me and haggled me to sign it, and when I told her i'll make my decision after my paid time is up, she became quite angry (Nice way to treat prospective customers, eh?).

After my 1st training session with the trainer (who has more inches on his bicep than brain cells) he tried to get me to purchase more sessions. (After the 1st one) Anywho, these 6 sessions will just "dip into" the fitness routine and is just an overview, to get real answers and a personable trainer you got pay more.

If you want to pay through the roof for a small gym with arrogant trainers and staff then go for it, its not bad if you live across the street or in the 'hood. There are so many options for less $$$ IMO. I'm going to get a family membership with my brother and Mom for $150.00 a year at the SLC with everything included!!!!

Just a heads up! + I know I sound bitter :) :)

PS. Nice scenery there too!!! + you can watch all the 5foot muscle heads crash and burn trying to pick 'em up. :poosie:

~Leah~
01-14-2005, 04:34 PM
I just had a phone interview with the SW Good Life Fitness location for personal training.... anyone that goes there, I'll let you know if I get the job, then you can watch for me. I'm not a meathead, and I know my shit... and would definitely be willing to tell off anyone that treated you like shit ;)

Anyway, lets hope it goes ok!

awd
01-14-2005, 04:37 PM
MRC Gym -- but thats cause I am an employee and the gym is free.