PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Pop Music

Skyline_Addict
12-12-2004, 05:28 PM
is there any good stuff/good bands/singers out lately? i've been listening to some pretty old stuff all this while and have never bothered to look into it.
here're some artists i listen to:

do as infinity
jay chou
xjapan
TM Revolution
david tao
hikki
F.I.R
ayumi
(assorted music from jap soundtracks and such)
G.O.D

and a few others.

anyone else in the c-pop, j-pop or k-pop genre worth having a listen?

t-im
12-12-2004, 05:39 PM
deep ng~~!!!!

wilfred lau

stephanie cheng

boy'z

Skyline_Addict
12-12-2004, 06:00 PM
i don't listen to cantonese though...dont' understand it and don't particularly like it's composition and how it is manufactured and marketed.

Ed the SOHC
12-12-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm still listening to Grasshopper :D

Kamen
12-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Chemistry, Mr. Children, and Hirai Ken here.

Scandalous
12-13-2004, 05:09 AM
Are u actually in Tokyo??? If so, I should be asking u whats good...

statick
12-13-2004, 08:23 AM
anime soundstracks are usually pretty wicked.:thumbsup:

toyboy88
12-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
is there any good stuff/good bands/singers out lately? i've been listening to some pretty old stuff all this while and have never bothered to look into it.
here're some artists i listen to:

do as infinity
jay chou
xjapan
TM Revolution
david tao
hikki
F.I.R
ayumi
(assorted music from jap soundtracks and such)
G.O.D

and a few others.

anyone else in the c-pop, j-pop or k-pop genre worth having a listen?

faye wong (in chinese you say it the other way around as u probably know ;))
sammi
lmf
f4

Altezza
12-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
I'm still listening to Grasshopper :D

LOL, the famous "New Kids off the Boat" group!

blinkme_210
12-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Every Little Thing - My favourite band
Move - My second favourite band
Glay - My third avourite band
Gackt
Eugene - Kpop

Zephyr
12-13-2004, 07:38 PM
wow canadians still use the word "oriental"? lol some parts in america ppl consider that as a offensive word now... whatever makes no difference

hyolee is a good k-pop

Skyline_Addict
12-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
wow canadians still use the word "oriental"? lol some parts in america ppl consider that as a offensive word now... whatever makes no difference

hyolee is a good k-pop

i don't find it offensive at all...it's like calling someone scandanavian (danish, norweigian, finish, swedish) as opposed to simply white or european. kinda just narrowing it down a bit.:D if i said asian (and even though you would probably get what I mean)...it would include the phillipines, india, etc...and even some parts of europe! ;)

Originally posted by Scandalous
Are u actually in Tokyo??? If so, I should be asking u whats good...

nope i'm not right now, but if you read my first post...those are some good mainstream bands. if you like guitars, acoustic guitars in particular...Do as Infinity is an awesome band...the lead singer is a hot girl too. TM is a weird dude....but his music is great, unique and inventive. Kinda like a less extreme MJ, without the molesting. ayumi and hikki are your more main stream Christina Aguilera/Britney Spears type...(atleast the music part). most of the other groups fall into these genres too....but if u're into the gothy stuff...check out Gackt and those type of bands.

Ed the SOHC
12-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

LOL, the famous "New Kids off the Boat" group!

I'm the BIGGEST FOB EVER (pronounced: Ebwer)!!!

Skyline_Addict
12-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
uhhhh......

lol Jeff, what's up with your new sig and avatar?

Ferio_vti
12-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Fiona (I forget what her Chinese name is)
Kelly Chen
Sammi

ELT
BoA
Misai
Garnet Crow
Globe
Utada Hikaru

saiyajin
12-13-2004, 09:38 PM
jacky cheung his songs are awesome...well most of them

Skyline_Addict
12-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Fiona (I forget what her Chinese name is)
Kelly Chen
Sammi

ELT
BoA
Misai
Garnet Crow
Globe
Utada Hikaru

Misia's got an awesome voice...but I only like one of her songs. tobikita o wasureta chisana tori.

Scandalous
12-13-2004, 10:58 PM
J-Pop: Larc en Ciel (Naruto fans know these guys)
Penicillin
Namie Amuro new album (Hip Hop feel to it)
B'z

K-Pop: Depends on your flavour, singers are actors and vice versa.

Classical: Vanessa Mae, Storm and Art of War.

rage2
12-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Did you know... beyond is named after the chinese band beyond? :)

Skyline_Addict
12-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Did you know... beyond is named after the chinese band beyond? :)

lol! are you serious? the thought crossed my mind once...but i never thought of it this seriously!

crazy...why beyond though. and why not..... andylau.ca.....car forums....lol.

rage2
12-14-2004, 12:18 AM
They're my favorite chinese band. Then Ka Kui died, and it was never the same again. He was a god, both vocally, and on the guitars. He's comparable to some of the guitar greats IMO.

I actually named my company Beyond Computing after them, then when I started a car forum, just used the beyond.ca name.

Interesting tidbit #49818.

Skyline_Addict
12-14-2004, 12:23 AM
yeah, that is pretty interesting! they're cantonese, right? when i went to singapore for a visit, they were part of this concert sponsored by a phone company there (so it was free) and I remember them doing a couple songs...can't remember what language, but i doubt it was cantonese. so i'm guessing they do mandarin too!

anyways, nice to know where beyond.ca came from! :D

Kamen
12-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Yea, once I found out rage was chinese I thought about Beyond being named after the band cuz I couldn't think of where it would come from otherwise.

Skyline_Addict
12-14-2004, 12:50 AM
Ken, you are a genius.

kiwi
12-14-2004, 01:39 AM
ooooh... so that's where the name of this forum came from! ha ha ha, cool!

saiyajin
12-14-2004, 01:40 AM
wtf ...is it odd that i assumed that this forum was named after the band when i joined?? :dunno:

Zephyr
12-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

i don't find it offensive at all...it's like calling someone scandanavian (danish, norweigian, finish, swedish) as opposed to simply white or european. kinda just narrowing it down a bit.:D if i said asian (and even though you would probably get what I mean)...it would include the phillipines, india, etc...and even some parts of europe! ;)

yea then i thought about it..almost anything u say in america can get offensive..stupid americans...

well im listening to some yg-family right now as for the k-pop section and then some jay chou (cuz im related to him in some ways...since all chous,chows, zhous are related in some way due to our forefathers from the zhou dynasty)

Kamen
12-14-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin
wtf ...is it odd that i assumed that this forum was named after the band when i joined?? :dunno:

No, same as me :)

Skyline_Addict
12-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

yea then i thought about it..almost anything u say in america can get offensive..stupid americans...

well im listening to some yg-family right now as for the k-pop section and then some jay chou (cuz im related to him in some ways...since all chous,chows, zhous are related in some way due to our forefathers from the zhou dynasty)

lol, i make fun of all my friends who are cho or cao (you will only get this is you know about san guo zi) hehe.

rage2
12-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Beyond has released stuff in cantonese, mandarin, as well as Japanese.

http://www.hotshotdigital.com/tribute/WongKaKui.html

Can't believe he's been gone for 11 years now. :cry:

ex1z7
12-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Most recent wicked oriental pop music is from Skyline up there ^ *listens to the song again*

Woot !

Bonka
12-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Was there some well-known female singer that died in the 90's? I had a cassette tape copy of her songs but I was never able to find the name.

I have no idea if I'm mixing up my facts but I THINK Ekin Cheng sampled one of her songs.

Team_Mclaren
03-13-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by rage2
They're my favorite chinese band. Then Ka Kui died, and it was never the same again. He was a god, both vocally, and on the guitars. He's comparable to some of the guitar greats IMO.

I remember when i first joined I saw Ka Kui as your avater and thats how i figured that this board was named after the band.. They were awesome!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: still many many diehard beyond fans around for sure!!

back on topic:

Ayumi of course, greatest j-pop singer imo!:D check out some of her remixes as well if you are looking for something new
-BoA is good too, plus shes hot.. (dont know if that has anything to do with her music)

also, check out certain anime series songs, some that I like:

- full metal panic - tomorrow
- Karenai Hana
- "Kimi ga Suki da to Sakebitai" by BAAD
- "Anata Dake Mitsumete'ru" by Ooguro Maki
- most japanese inital D songs, the english ones sucks imo

thats all i can think of for now...