PDA

View Full Version : Windsheild...?

Rydog
06-18-2002, 08:00 AM
What does a new windsheild for the 2000 Civic coupe cost? Mine is becoming another victim of Deerfoot.:madred: :thumbsdow

bol
06-18-2002, 08:04 AM
couple hundred

i'm guessing you don't have glass covereage on your insurance then heh

Rydog
06-18-2002, 08:07 AM
I have to, it's a brand new car. would I be able to just pay the deductable then? That's prolly as much as new glass.

bol
06-18-2002, 08:32 AM
some insurance companies replace glass with no deductable

can't hurt to call and find out

Rydog
06-18-2002, 08:34 AM
good call, i'll do that.
Thanks bol!

Davan
06-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Will making a claim like this affect your rates?

Rydog
06-18-2002, 09:30 AM
not sure, gotta phone the insurance place today to find out. I hope not tho :dunno:

bol
06-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Davan
Will making a claim like this affect your rates?

It doesn't for most, in 99% of cases it's not even considered a real insurance claim (ie doesn't go on your insurance record) - because of you have glass coverage - you're paying for it.

Fat Dave
06-18-2002, 10:29 AM
Be careful with the type of windshield that you put on, or you might be replacing it again very soon.

I had my windshield replaced by King's Glass (they had a good price). Within a week there were HUGE chips in it and a crack was forming, all from impacts that wouldn't have left a tiny ding in my old windshield. Their excuse was "Well, it's CSA approved..." All that means is it meets the absolute minimum safety requirements, but certainly doesn't mean that the windshield is gonna hold up at all. It was total crap. I told them to cram it with walnuts.

I've since had it replaced again, this time by Speedy. The price for the new windshield was close to double the old one, but this one was a Sigla unit (the same type my car came with). I've been bombarded by boulders that would've probably gone through the old crappy one, and so far not even a nick.

My $.02

Rydog
06-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Thanks Dave!
That's awesome info to know, and very timely actually, cause a friend of mine was just telling me to go to King's!! I'm glad that you shared your misfortune.

Is Sigla a brand, or the grade/type of glass?

Now I'm curious what the Civic comes with....:(

boi-alien
06-18-2002, 10:37 AM
i know for a fact that my insurance company considered it a claim when i got my windshield fixed. it was really gay. but i guess it makes sense they do pay to get your windshield fixed. your insurance wont go up, but if u get into an accident or something they'll take that into consideration. they were telling me if i went throught insurance for my accident the wouldn't cover me next year...:madred:

Ben
06-18-2002, 10:43 AM
my parents insurance company cancelled their policy becuase they replaced both our vehicled windshields in the same year (6 months appart), they couldn't believe it! They had not made an accident claim in the 14 years they were with them, and they had not replaced windshields in the last 4...it was incredible...

Insurance companies are brutal...

Fat Dave
06-18-2002, 10:46 AM
Sigla is a brand name, but I think Speedy normally carries PPG and another brand that I forget the name of. Both are high quality brands though.

You can probably get good quality glass from other dealers as well (and maybe even King's), I just wanted to give a heads-up that cheaper ain't better.

Sigla is a German brand, one of the OEM's for BMW, Porsche and Mercedes.

Make sure they use manufacturer-approved adhesives, since the windshield gives a fair bit of structural support to your car.

Rydog
06-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Yeah, they are brutal. You pay out yer nose for it, and then if you have to use it, they charge you AND up your payments. bastards.

Weapon_R
06-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Try going to Tintmaster on 17th avenue SE. He quoted me only 260 installed for a windshield, which is pretty damn good I think. Crystal glass quoted me over $100 more, so the price difference is definately worth looking into!

Rydog
06-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Good to know, thanks again Dave. I'll have to do some serious investigation on brands, prices and the rest i guess...
has anyone else had a 'Lessons Learned' experience with windsheilds like what Fat Dave had?

Damn Deerfoot :thumbsdow

bol
06-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Actually the only 'cheap' windshield experience I've had(or well, seen I should say.) Has not being with the windshield cracking or chipping easily - but the fact that at anything but an 90 degree angle everything is completely distorted. Really makes shoulder checks and looking at your mirrors a wierd experience when everything is morphing and going blurry. :nut:

Ben
06-18-2002, 11:01 AM
Alot of people just think a windshield is a windshield..