PDA

View Full Version : standard and reversing

pyro
12-13-2004, 11:25 PM
when you are reversing in a standard do u ride the clutch, how do u reverse without going fast and without riding the clutch:dunno: its kinda of a dumb question im just newer to driving standard and when i reverse i usally put it in reverse and back up a bit and then put it in netural and coast backwards, just dosent seem right

lam-boy
12-13-2004, 11:30 PM
yeah, I've always wondered myself..

specially with a lowered car now, I have to leave my driveway at an angle or my bumper scrapes...

soo what do you guys do? (i can't just throw it in neutral either, cuase it will roll and then just stop, my driveway isn't steep or at an incline (well that much anyways)

Honda_Chick
12-13-2004, 11:43 PM
just find the friction point on your cluch
thats at least what i do find the stop let it out a bit more and give a little gas and you should be good to go

GTS Jeff
12-13-2004, 11:45 PM
drive it like u would with a forward gear...

EK 2.0
12-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

exactly...I don't understand what is so hard to do

Zero102
12-13-2004, 11:46 PM
I guess I ride it as well. You do get going too fast if you let it right out. I tend to let it about half-way out for half a second or so, to kind of give the car a push, then I push the clutch in until the car slows down again, then another little push.
I always worry that's hard on the clutch, but I see so many other ways of doing it that are much worse, I figuire this is the lesser of the evils?

Kamen
12-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

:werd:
Just ease it out it slowly and smoothly.

lam-boy
12-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

exactly...I don't understand what is so hard to do

its not so hard to do, I just don't want to 'ride' my clutch going out of my driveway.
same thing goes when I'm in a parking lot..
guess thats the deal though I have to 'ride' my clutch. even going over speedbumps on angles and such my mudflaps scrape :rofl:

blueripper6
12-14-2004, 12:05 AM
hes trying to say, how do u go slow in reverse, its the same thing as going slow in forward WITHOUT riding the clutch.. Give the car a push persay, then disengage the clutch, keep doing that.. I think its better then riding the clutch.

lam-boy
12-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by blueripper6
hes trying to say, how do u go slow in reverse, its the same thing as going slow in forward WITHOUT riding the clutch.. Give the car a push persay, then disengage the clutch, keep doing that.. I think its better then riding the clutch.

thanks for clarifing.:nut:
too much studying makes me go ill-crazy.

autoBITCH
12-14-2004, 12:10 AM
just know your friction point that's all there is to it.....

unless you wanna throw it in reverse ... rev up to about 5 grand then pop your clutch..... just kidding!!!

blueripper is quite accurate....HAVE FUN!! :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
12-14-2004, 12:23 AM
guys...riding the clutch a bit to smoothen your engagements into gears is fine. clutches are designed to be used, just like your brakes for example. do u ever hear of ppl pumping their brakes to save on pad wear?

Weapon_R
12-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Riding your clutch for 2 seconds isn't going to kill it..

Skyline_Addict
12-14-2004, 12:34 AM
yeah... it's like the initial part of driving on first gear. just balance the clutch and the gas according to how much power and speed u want. yeah, u're riding the clutch, but i dont' see how it's such a big deal....you do it on first gear all the time (and a little less so on higher gears)

Team_Mclaren
12-14-2004, 01:04 AM
i ride my clutch whenever i go reverse and wants to take it slow.... just ride it a bit so tat the car would start moving a bit. I rarely fully put it into reverse. I feel saver riding it ....

Skyline_Addict
12-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
i ride my clutch whenever i go reverse and wants to take it slow.... just ride it a bit so tat the car would start moving a bit. I rarely fully put it into reverse. I feel saver riding it ....

yeah it becomes way too sensitive if u don't ride the clutch and actually engage the gear. and u don't want that in reverse gear, which u will most likely want to be going slow and steady in

asp integra
12-14-2004, 10:35 PM
u can have the clutch all the way out and u only need to be going like 2 km/hr to not stall it, but ur only gonna be reversing for a short period of time, like a few seconds, so riding the clutch isnt gonna screw up ur car

kevie88
12-14-2004, 10:47 PM
I slip the clutch in reverse all of the time. I just find I have very little control over my speed when the clutch is out.

I think of the clutch as the "power applier".. not just a way to link the tranny and engine. The engine makes the power, the tranny makes the power faster/slower/backwards, but it's the clutch that you're applying power with.

sorry I'm rambling..haha