PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gift Help

hockeybronx
12-14-2004, 02:17 AM
Hey ya'll, I did a search for this already and couldn't really find what I'm looking for.

My family has made some lists up but they aren't very helpful to me. My dad asks for "socks" just like every other year, and my mom asks for "a box of Turtles (chocolate)" just like every other year.

So I'm looking for advice and suggestions. I'm willing to be creative and don't really care about prices. I tried to observe their hobbies but they don't really have any, they pretty much just work all day, come home and work all night:dunno:

Any help would be appreciated, I need to shop for my mom, dad, and 23 year old sister.

Thanks in advance!

t-im
12-14-2004, 02:31 AM
haha no offense, but your family sounds pretty easy to please

turtles? socks? you could finish your xmas shopping at superstore

If your mom enjoys chocolates, why don't you buy her a nicer box of chocolates (godvias or bernard calibeau)

and for your dad..sweater? cologne?

or you could take all of them out for dinner to a nice place

Davetronz
12-14-2004, 02:37 AM
23 year old sister eh...
Is she hot?

statick
12-14-2004, 08:45 AM
your mom may like some kind of home decor piece (candle holders, crystal pieces, etc)...and maybe ur dad would like a tie. thats what i would get my parents.

RSeXy
12-14-2004, 10:55 AM
I am getting my parents Jubilations dinner theater tickets. It gives them a chance to go out together and enjoy themselves. Tickets are $65/person and this includes an interactive theater and 4 course dinner.

InfiniteJoy
12-14-2004, 02:47 PM
A new welcome mat?

finboy
12-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by t-im
bernard calibeau

:werd:

you can NEVER go wrong with a big box of calibeau :thumbsup:

hockeybronx
12-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318
23 year old sister eh...
Is she hot?

:rolleyes:

Yeah I'm going to have to keep looking. Chocolate is alright but I want to do better than that, same with a tie. Thanks for the help!

ricosuave
12-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by InfiniteJoy
A new welcome mat?

ROFLMAO

really!

Gondi Stylez
12-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by RSeXy
I am getting my parents Jubilations dinner theater tickets. It gives them a chance to go out together and enjoy themselves. Tickets are $65/person and this includes an interactive theater and 4 course dinner.

where do u get these from and what exactly is it?

ex1z7
12-15-2004, 01:52 AM
Eh my dad always wants socks too ... I don't get it.

If you want to get him something nice and practical - get him something that would be helpful to him...? i.e. if he works in a cubicle - get him a nice frame and have photo's taken of you, your sister, and your mother together in black and white, or colour if it looks better. So he can hang that on his wall / put on his desk. And get him socks and other little things that would be nice.

If he's an office "i run a company" type guy, the picture thing + a cool looking clock that would go with the flow of his office, given he doesn't have one - or has an ugly one.

If he's a golfer.. golf balls + teas + driver socks + gloves... or if you want more - get him one of those range-finders, I'm not sure the correct terminology, but it looks like a mini telescope that somehow tells you the range and such, I'm not a golfer so I don't know :P

If he's an any-other-sports guy, get him the equivalent for that sport, that should work.

For your mom.. If she reads a certain magazine - buy her a year subscription to one, if she doesn't already own one. Or the picture thing for her, replacing her with your father. Buy her a box of nice chocolates (i like those milk chocolate 'shells' personally but whatever..) Maybe a gold/silver/white gold/platinum chain / bracelet.. or a new watch if she doesn't have a nice one.

For your sister, if she lives on her own buy her something she needs for her apartment, a DVD player / stereo / sofa (iono your price range..?) or anything that would help with her house / apartment. If she's expecting kids, baby stuff like toys and the like.

CD's are great additions too, if you're parents like the classical stuff there are some new groups that do classical stuff...Or a Dimitri Shostakovich cd ... Download some of his stuff it's pretty fly.

I'm getting pretty sick of getting cologne for x-mas/birthdays and would rather get something more suited for my age (like an x-box :D) if it's your parents (50's by now..?) try not to poke fun by getting them " over the hill " matching coffee mugs and crap.. But get them something like a getaway to the caribean or something, there are some deals around right now if you're not too worried about spending like 300 bucks ( I think theres a few that low )...

If they work constantly, a vacation would probably be welcomed awesomely. Some place warm, as if they're old I don't think they're very nimble to go skiing/snowboarding in banf....

Hope that helps..?

cityhunter2501
12-15-2004, 02:01 AM
buy something that they are interested into.

like Im buying Fatal Frame II or Star Ocean 3 for my dad, bought Orance County DVD for my sister, I'm still undecided for my mom though

kiwi
12-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
a cool looking clock that would go with the flow of his office

:rofl: Just thought I'd point something out... if you're chinese, NEVER buy clocks for your parents!!! They'll kick your ass for it, cuz it means you're walking them down the aisle for their funeral... =P

ricosuave
12-15-2004, 12:49 PM
wow, here i thought it just meant a clock...

nickyh
12-15-2004, 12:54 PM
can't go wrong with a day at the Spa for mom and sister...

abyss
12-15-2004, 01:22 PM
^^^^ding!^^^^ that'd be wikked. If they get along I guess !:D

max_boost
12-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

where do u get these from and what exactly is it?

Jubilations is located in WestBrook Mall. What it is is an interactive dinner theater which includes a 4-course meal served by the actors between acts. My mom really enjoys this and the food is pretty good!

There is also Stage West on Blackfoot Tr. tickets are a little more and this includes a 120 item buffet with realllly good food! This is what Sam and I are getting for my parents.

-Lyndsi

Melinda
12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
I got a little more creative this year with my family. Mom's getting this: http://www.banffadventures.com/dogsled.html for me and her to do...she's into a lot of adventure stuff and this just works perfectly for her...but for parents there are couple's packages for hot air balloon rides with champagne and everything. They're not a bad price either, but a great, cool thing for parents to do :)

Hehe I can't put the creative part of my dad's gift cause Rolland is getting the same thing and he'll see it but if you want a cool idea for the person who has everything, pm me :) Just don't tell rollie what it is ;)

ex1z7
12-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

:rofl: Just thought I'd point something out... if you're chinese, NEVER buy clocks for your parents!!! They'll kick your ass for it, cuz it means you're walking them down the aisle for their funeral... =P

Hockeybronx is Chinese?

... no clock then :)

max_boost
12-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
I got a little more creative this year with my family. Mom's getting this: http://www.banffadventures.com/dogsled.html for me and her to do...she's into a lot of adventure stuff and this just works perfectly for her...but for parents there are couple's packages for hot air balloon rides with champagne and everything. They're not a bad price either, but a great, cool thing for parents to do :)

Hehe I can't put the creative part of my dad's gift cause Rolland is getting the same thing and he'll see it but if you want a cool idea for the person who has everything, pm me :) Just don't tell rollie what it is ;)

That's a REALLY good idea Mel! I was originally wanting to buy my parents the train interactive theater but it is out in Stettler and I don't think they would be too thrilled to drive all the way out there. Something in Calgary is better for them.

hockeybronx
12-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7

Hockeybronx is Chinese?

... no clock then :)

No I am not Chinese. Allow me to introduce you to the word "if".