PDA

View Full Version : Car Rentals -> Age 18

Speed_69
12-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Are there any car rental places in Calgary where you can rent a car if you're only 18 instead of being 21?

NiteRider
12-14-2004, 03:35 AM
enterprise, across from McKay pontiac buick

Speed_69
12-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by NiteRider
enterprise, across from McKay pontiac buick
Are you sure? shouldn't all enterprises be the same? because i tried renting a car from the downtown enterprise before and they said I have to be 21.

NiteRider
12-14-2004, 03:39 AM
nope, when my car was stolen, i was suppose to get a car there, but i didnt have collision, so i didnt, but i would of got one if i had collision.

but maybe they only rent to under agers if its threw an insurance claim..

Shaolin
12-14-2004, 08:37 AM
they can only rent "underaged" drivers through insurance claims.. that's how it was when I was working at Budget.. but this was about 7 years ago, but I'm sure nothing has changed.

Mckenzie
12-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Most of them have ridiculous young driver premiums but Enterprise across from the dealership was great. Great service and great rates.:thumbsup:

benyl
12-14-2004, 10:49 AM
In general, you have to pay a huge premium if you are under 25. Between $10-$20/day

awd
12-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by benyl
In general, you have to pay a huge premium if you are under 25. Between $10-$20/day

For good reason.

I remember what I used to do to rental cars when I was a kid.

digitalshogun
12-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Lol ... for sure. One weekend and the civic I brought back from the OK was in pretty rough shape. Hell ... now that I'm 27 I don't treat 'em much better.

FiveFreshFish
12-14-2004, 01:44 PM
The car jockeys who clean the cars abuse them way worse than the average customer.

talonboi
12-15-2004, 02:40 PM
well i currently work at budget rent a car, and from whut our policy is, we cant rent a vehicle to anyone under 21 unless its an insurance rental, and if ur 21-24 theres a $34.94/day surcharge..

so i dont think theres any rental company out there that'll rent to anyone under 21 unless through insurance

20incheyes
12-15-2004, 03:39 PM
i rented a rent a wreck when I was 18 back in the day

Iceman_19
12-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by talonboi
well i currently work at budget rent a car, and from whut our policy is, we cant rent a vehicle to anyone under 21 unless its an insurance rental, and if ur 21-24 theres a $34.94/day surcharge..

so i dont think theres any rental company out there that'll rent to anyone under 21 unless through insurance

i rented from budget in bc last weekend. since i was 21 with a class, i got normal rates. obviously they are all different, but that was my experience.

RiceCake
12-15-2004, 05:22 PM
I've dealt with enterprise many times and they weren't too bad to deal with :)

Kamen
12-15-2004, 09:45 PM
I got a rental from enterprise when my car was in the shop. But that's the only way I could have rented one seeing as I'm still 20.

DonJuan
12-16-2004, 12:06 AM
At Hertz, no-one under 21 can get a car without it being an insurance rental. If you have CAA or AAA however, the under 25 of $20/day for anyone between 21 and <25 isn't applicable.

Chiggles
12-16-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by talonboi

Really??? Holy crap, are the surcharge rates different depending on the region? After I moved up to E-town, I've been without wheels up until recently but sine then I had been renting from Budget every now and then whenever I could make a visit back home for a few days. Back then I was still under 25 and the surcharge was only like, $8, maybe $15 TOPS. A $35 surcharge is ridculously huge! No wonder I had buddies back home asking me "how do you get such a cheap rate when you come down?" cuz it always used to only end up being something like $35-40/day INCLUDING the young driver surcharge when I rented from Edmonton to come down to Calgary.

Wowsers.... sucks to say it, but score one for E-town then. Holy shiznet. That sux. :nut: :thumbsdow Thank God for all other things that make home so much better than this hole I live in now. .....Ballz..... can't wait to move back home one day.

talonboi
12-16-2004, 01:17 AM
yeah budget rent a car is one place where u dont wanna rent when ur under 21 lol...enterprise is pretty good..i think its a 15$ surcharge

CalgarySupra
12-16-2004, 04:34 PM
you knwo what also works, just say that you car in a shop for repair (this always worked for be until i turned 21) and say its doing warrenty work and you need a car and your warrenty will reburuse for the cost

the they ask for insurance on your current car and then all your insurance company and ask if you have rental insurance. takes a second. always works no mater WHERE

QuasarCav
12-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Chiggles

Wowsers....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I haven't heard that in years.

DonJuan
12-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra
you knwo what also works, just say that you car in a shop for repair (this always worked for be until i turned 21) and say its doing warrenty work and you need a car and your warrenty will reburuse for the cost. the they ask for insurance on your current car and then all your insurance company and ask if you have rental insurance. takes a second. always works no mater WHERE
Right... :bullshit: I don't know which company that works on, but at Hertz (as with many other companies), we require the insurance company to be the one making the reservation in advance with all your information. For you they send you a form stating as such and where and when to pick up the car. The car is rented to the INSURANCE COMPANY and you are an authorized signer and operator. This is for both insurance companies and dealership warranties, and doesn't affect whether or not you take the insurance.