PDA

View Full Version : One of My Aquarium Fish has lost his equalibrium? For Real.

Hollywood
12-14-2004, 11:17 PM
I have a big older severum that all of a sudden can not swim strait. He sinks head first. Been like this for 1 week or so. Not sure how to fix him.

I took him out of the water and put him back in, he sunk head first. He appears to be healthy and strong in the past. I'm not sure if he has air sutck in hi organs or something. He just swims with his head down all time.

GT2NV
12-14-2004, 11:25 PM
meh my fish always used to do that before they would die, id give him a week before its dead..... i never could figure it out either

thich
12-14-2004, 11:39 PM
happened to a bunch of my koi before; i think some air got into that fish and can do some weird stuff to it. That's wut happened with some of my koi; apparently some air got into them and they kicked the bucket. :thumbsdow

jdmakkord
12-14-2004, 11:42 PM
When fish suffocate, that can happen too. Generally by the time that does happen, its too late already.

BigShow
12-15-2004, 01:31 AM
Yea it's gonna die pretty soon, same has happened to my fish.

Hollywood
12-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
When fish suffocate, that can happen too. Generally by the time that does happen, its too late already.

Like not enough o2 in the water for them?

jdmakkord
12-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Like not enough o2 in the water for them?

When was the last time you did a water change? Or changed your filters? Also check the PH level of your water too.

Hollywood
12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Ya filters need a change.

I have a large scale Algae problem as well. At times sun shine can reach my tank. This has been plauging me for a while but I have no where else to put this 99 gallon tank.

and I am unaware of any way to neutralize the algae when its excessive like this. Not sure if any og you have any suggestions.

t-im
12-15-2004, 03:07 PM
^ seriosluly, cover your tank with a towel when it's really sunny

thats what I do

Street_Soldier
12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
your fish is gone. to prevent this u may want to train your fish to become middle feeders rather then top feeders. All you need to do is simply soak the fish food before feeding them (pebbles usually dont work, so try flakes). Then the food will float down towards the bottom. When i used to work in a petstore this happened to all our goldfish (because they were top feeders).

sputnik
12-15-2004, 03:26 PM
and I am unaware of any way to neutralize the algae when its excessive like this. Not sure if any og you have any suggestions.

Get a couple plecos and some snails.

Weapon_R
12-15-2004, 03:32 PM
:werd:

2-3 plecos will clean that shit up quickly. Make sure they are a decent size.

Your fish sounds like it's dying. One of my fish did that for about 5 days before it finally went.

jdmakkord
12-15-2004, 11:55 PM
If the algae is growing on the glass and rocks, algae eaters will work fine. If it has turned the water green, go to golds aquariums and talk to Dennis. He will give you something that is not harsh on your fish, but combined with water changes, will clear the water right up.

Carfanman
12-15-2004, 11:59 PM
No snails. I had one when I first started my tank, big mistake.
Theyre as3xual so you will have like a hundred more each month or at least it will seem like that, dont know the actual numbers.

Hollywood
12-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
If the algae is growing on the glass and rocks, algae eaters will work fine. If it has turned the water green, go to golds aquariums and talk to Dennis. He will give you something that is not harsh on your fish, but combined with water changes, will clear the water right up.

ok. ya the water is kinda of a green tinge over blue/clear.

D'z Nutz
12-16-2004, 12:23 AM
Is there any way you can block the sunlight from pointing into the tank? Perhaps cover the light path with cardboard or something during the days? It's gonna be hard to fight off the algae bloom with the sun shining directly into the tank (kinda like trying to put out a fire with gasoline). I've even heard of some people leaving the tank in darkness for a few days (don't even turn the canopy on) to help control algae levels. Maybe tape up all sides of the tank with garbage bags for a few days after doing a water change.

And Carfanman's right. Forget the snails. They're so freakin messy and can be a real pain in the ass if they're over populated.

My first impression about severum was a swim bladder infection, but it's hard to say given the detail you've provided.

Boost Infested
12-16-2004, 12:24 AM
send it down the toilet heaven.... *flushhhhhh*

Hollywood
12-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Is there any way you can block the sunlight from pointing into the tank? Perhaps cover the light path with cardboard or something during the days? It's gonna be hard to fight off the algae bloom with the sun shining directly into the tank (kinda like trying to put out a fire with gasoline). I've even heard of some people leaving the tank in darkness for a few days (don't even turn the canopy on) to help control algae levels. Maybe tape up all sides of the tank with garbage bags for a few days after doing a water change.

And Carfanman's right. Forget the snails. They're so freakin messy and can be a real pain in the ass if they're over populated.

My first impression about severum was a swim bladder infection, but it's hard to say given the detail you've provided.

Ya this severum is a fighter he gets sick once in a while but he allways pulls through. He's 5 inches long so hes a big guy. This weekend is tank clean up maybe ill do a 3/4 water change instead of a half, for an extreme clean. And Ill do the garbae bag no light trick.

I have 1 med size pleco, I had snales but they get killed, even the large ones. Mind you I got rid of one of my crazy fish, a 6" Leaporeanus. He was a hardcre killer. Killed anything, oscars, ciclids, peranahs, he always ate there eyes first, then tore them apart at his leasure. I had a large 1 foot shark that had no eyes for a year almost. He got sick so I had to put him out of his misery.

Originally posted by Boost Infested
send it down the toilet heaven.... *flushhhhhh*

Noooooo!!!! :D

D'z Nutz
12-16-2004, 10:46 AM

Ya this severum is a fighter he gets sick once in a while but he allways pulls through. He's 5 inches long so hes a big guy. This weekend is tank clean up maybe ill do a 3/4 water change instead of a half, for an extreme clean. And Ill do the garbae bag no light trick.

Yeah, severums (and most large cichlids) are tough fuckers, so I'm hoping he pulls through as well. They're great fishes that really beg for attention when you're around. I used to have a golden severum that did loops while he was waiting to be fed. My oscar goes nuts and wags his tail splashing water around whenever he thinks he's going to be fed :D

Hopefully the big water change and garbage bag trick works. Personally I'm really uncomfortable about putting in chemicals to clean up the algae.

If it is a swim bladder infection, I've heard feeding feeding thawed peas might help. Just toss some into the microwave to thaw them out and put them into the tank. I can't verify whether this works or not, but some people have suggested it on some aquaria forums.

Good luck.