PDA

View Full Version : Booster cables???

Chiggles
12-15-2004, 01:14 AM
I found myself asking this question and couldn't come up with an answer so I'm just looking for some opinions. Is there a difference between all the different booster cables that are available or are they really just "cables are cables"??? Last year, I bought a cheap no-name set from Superstore cuz I was in a bind at the time and thought a quick boost would help, but it didn't help - it was just too damn cold (Superstore was nearby from where I work when I couldn't start my car after my shift ended so I went in looking for a quick solution). Anyway, does it matter what kind of booster cables I have or are the ones I have perfectly fine?? :dunno:

EK 2.0
12-15-2004, 01:40 AM
the thicker the wire the better they will be to conduct as well as keep over time...

the cheaper ones tend to be thinner, and IMO and personal expirience dont hold up well...

As well as the clamps on the end are a big thing to look out for when purchasing Jumper Cables...you want a good set with a strong spring, rubber insulated handles, and the wires to be bolted/soldered to the clamps...not just crimped together...

FiveFreshFish
12-15-2004, 03:34 AM
Cable length matters too. Longer gives you better access to the dead vehicle.

Get 12 ft length minimum, preferably longer.

carson blocks
12-15-2004, 09:40 AM
In my opinion, the best way to get a decent set of cables is to go to a welding supply store or Calgary Fasteners or similar and purchase a good quality thick welding cable twice as long as you intend your booster cables to be. Also purchase 4 strong ground clamps. You can even buy nice clamps with insulated grip handles. You'll also need a couple rolls of black electrical tape, and a roll of red.

Cut the cable in half, so you have a negative and positive side, Solder the clamps onto the ends. If you cannot do this, the welding supply place may be nice enough to do this for you. Use black electrical tape neatly every few inches to wrap the two cables together. Wrap the grips of one clamp with red electrical tape, and wrap the clamp on the end of that same cable with red electrical tape to identify this as the positive lead. If you wish, you can finish the cables off with some wire loom to make them look nice.

Your cost will be around $100, but you will have the strongest, most durable set of booster cables that are capable of passing as much current as you have available. Also, keep in mind that the longer you choose to make your cable, the thicker it should be.

fast95pony
12-15-2004, 11:01 PM
$100 for a set of jumper cables ?? :eek:
What are you jump starting ?? A CP locomotive ??

I guess you carry around a $10,000 jack just in case you have to change a tire on a City bus too..

:rofl:

Chiggles
12-16-2004, 01:18 AM
:rofl: Let me know what your availability is like if that's the case. My bro works with city transit so I'm sure you'll come in useful someday if the buses ever needed some assistance and you're nearby :tongue: Thanks for the advice though, ppl. Much appreciated. I'll try to compare the cheap ones I bought last year and go browsing for some new ones down the road here. Crappy tire, here I come once again.

carson blocks
12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I know the big cables are definitely overkill, but they are a one-time investment, and besides when you need to use them, it's usually cold and miserable out and the last thing you want is a set of crappy cables.

Canadian Tire has some really nice 1 gauge cables for $69.00 Their cheaper sets honestly don't work all that well in my experience. In the cold they get brittle and inflexible, and after a year or two they don't seem to work as well.

Whatever you decide, stay away from the "light duty" $13 set.
It's easier to push-start than to try and use those POS cables on a really cold day.

Chiggles
12-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Kewl! :thumbsup: Good to know; thanks for the advice guys.