PDA

View Full Version : Effects Of Orgasm On Fitness

hockeybronx
12-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Without getting into detail, I was talking to my brother in law and he asked me what effects "orgasms" in general had on your body when you are gaining muscle or working out. I hadn't really thought of it before so I didn't know how to answer him.

So without acting like we are in grade six, does anybody have any knowledge about:
- what happens to testosterone levels?
- what do these changes in testosterone levels do?
- does it effect muscle gain, energy, or strength?

During sex, or whatever else people do.

I tried to search on the net, but lets just say I didn't find what I was looking for.

In the words of Eminem:

"I'm just trying to clear shit up, till then I'll walk around with a manly strut."

1badPT
12-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Uhh good question. I haven't really stopped ever since I started bulking up but I imagine it uses up energy that would otherwise go into making me bigger? I'm curious to find out too?

EDIT:

I found this (obviously not serious but worth a laugh)
http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena/user/w/c/wchuang/www/humor/college/burning_calories.txt

1badPT
12-15-2004, 05:55 PM
This one seems a bit more serious:
http://www.clitical.com/sex-tutorials/sex-facts/sexercising.php

hockeybronx
12-15-2004, 06:14 PM
I was referring more towards hormone levels in your body rather than metabolic rates.

How levels of testosterone are altered, what that means, and how it effects your muscles and fat reserves.

Tyler883
12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
I beleive that exercise actually consumes testosterone. If this is true, too much exercise may temporarily interfere with your sex drive. In addition, the exercise associated with an orgasm is likely taking testosterone away from your workouts, and recovery periods. This may be good or bad, i guess that depends on a person's specific situation.

Anyways, i'm just trying to come up with a reasonable answer, I couldn't find any related articles on the internet. So what do you guys think? sound reasonable?

hockeybronx
12-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
I beleive that exercise actually consumes testosterone. If this is true, too much exercise may temporarily interfere with your sex drive. In addition, the exercise associated with an orgasm is likely taking testosterone away from your workouts, and recovery periods. This may be good or bad, i guess that depends on a person's specific situation.

Anyways, i'm just trying to come up with a reasonable answer, I couldn't find any related articles on the internet. So what do you guys think? sound reasonable?

That's probably a good guess.

I thought this thread would get a lot more response. Either people don't really care, or everybody has wondered this themselves.

DavidI where are you when I need you!?!

SwitchBlade
12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
I remember hearing about olympic athletes having sex the night before their event so they would perform better. I'll have to ask my friend hes on one of the olympic teams.

But i also remember watching a football press conference where the coach said that if his players wanted to do well in the game, they would not participate in sex.

My guess would be that it decreases athletic ability
:dunno:

D'z Nutz
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
DavidI where are you when I need you!?!

Man, that's a REALLY awkward thing to say in a thread about orgasms! :rofl:

1badPT
12-16-2004, 02:30 PM
^rofl good point!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mckenzie
12-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Sex and orgasm produce testosterone. Excercising produces testosterone. (Straight out of numerous Mens Health Issues and their other special books).

That is why trainers try to hammer home that working your biggest muscles will be most beneficial to gains, such as your legs and back, because they produce more testosterone than smaller muscles. The book "How to build Bigger Biceps" stresses this point as well.

That is why most 'fit' people have healthy sex drives.

davidI
12-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Well I guess I should weigh in since people were calling my name. I think I should get a Health and Fitness Guru name haha. Anyways, shits been crazy in my life so I didn't have much time to respond when I first saw this.

I've heard so many different things about sex and T-levels I really don't know what's true. It isn't something I've done a whole lot of research into because I can't see too many guys sacrificing sex for the little amount of gains it might cause.

Here's a copy pasted from askmen.com

Improves sexual performance and restores libido
It's a fact: Regular exercise can increase sexual drive, activity and satisfaction. Physical endurance and muscle tone improve sexual functioning, and exercise jump-starts the sympathetic nervous system, which increases blood flow to the genital area. The good news is that even low levels of exercise help keep your "equipment" functioning properly; in fact, you can significantly lower your risk of erectile dysfunction by burning only 200 calories a day, the equivalent of walking briskly for about two miles.

Short bouts of intense exercise increase testosterone levels, which can stimulate sexual desire. But gym rats beware; too much exercise can reduce testosterone and other male hormones levels, which can lead to a decrease in libido. Finally, don't stop as you get older; men over 50 who work out regularly have a 30% lower risk of impotence than those who don't.

I've also read that since during exercise the body releases endorphins that orgasms can become more intense.

Here's another good article http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/ghf/getting-fit-enhance-sex.htm

Really, I think if anything the effects of working out and sex or sex and workding out are beneficial psychologically so the small physical responses don't really play an active roll.
:)

davidI
12-16-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by SwitchBlade
I remember hearing about olympic athletes having sex the night before their event so they would perform better. I'll have to ask my friend hes on one of the olympic teams.

But i also remember watching a football press conference where the coach said that if his players wanted to do well in the game, they would not participate in sex.

It's all about focus. People have different views on the issue but personally I think it is whatever works for each person.

hockeybronx
12-16-2004, 07:02 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I think we got some good responses here now! I knew before that there was a connection of "being healthy" to "sex drive" because of better blood flow etc. and I just wanted to see if there was a corrolation in the opposite direction.

hockeybronx
12-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Man, that's a REALLY awkward thing to say in a thread about orgasms! :rofl:

\/

Originally posted by hockeybronx
without acting like we are in grade six

SwitchBlade
12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Ok, I asked my friend. According to his coach, sex is better for women then men. Men lose testosterone and women don't. According to him guys are also tired afterwards, where women aren't.

Mckenzie
12-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Again, straight from the most recent issue of Mens Health, right after orgasm, the oxytocin (the brains love juice) surge in males is 500 times that of women. This makes males tired (why we want to sleep after sex), and for females it makes them want to cuddle and chat. :D

HOWEVER, research has shown that testosterone levels in males is higher for two days after orgasm/sex....so I dont see how that could harm your weight training goals....

Wildcat
12-16-2004, 11:21 PM
the test levels arent substantial enough to make any difference. sex is healthy, best cardio evar. :rofl:

Carfanman
12-17-2004, 12:14 AM
so s3x before workout =bad but workout before s3x = good?

Singel
12-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by SwitchBlade

Ali would refrain from sex for weeks before fights to become more frustrated and angry...I suppose that would work for sports like that, or even just weight training to get an extra push to lift more. But being happy and reducing any stress is probly better for overall health. and a lot more fun:thumbsup: